shape
carat
color
clarity

Please could I have your opinion on this diamond

Sophie

Rough_Rock
Hi,

We have recently purchased the following diamond and being new to all this just wanted to make sure we got a decent one........

0.57 carat round brilliant
Measurements: 5.31 - 5.33 x 3.31
Colour: E
Clarity: S12 (It is eye clean, has a small feather which is now hidden by the prong now it is set and another mark that even when pointed out under the loupe I still couldnt really see!)
Cut grade: Very Good
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: Strong Blue
Girdle: medium to slightly thick
GIA Certified

It looks very sparkly in all types of light which was my main criteria, maybe ever so slightly blue in strong sun light which i am guessing may be due to the strong flourescence?

My partner and I picked it out before viewing the certificate as felt we wanted to find our diamond we loved the look of and then check the paperwork, rather than buying one just because the certifiacte was 'right'

Any feedback would be very much appreciated just to put my mind at rest that we did ok

PS: It sometimes looks a little 'dark' around the edges in certain lights - is this normal?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We would need the stats from the GIA cert - depth, table, pavillion and crown angles to be able to give you a fair assessment of the stone.

Sophie

Rough_Rock
MissGotRocks|1316349826|3020044 said:
We would need the stats from the GIA cert - depth, table, pavillion and crown angles to be able to give you a fair assessment of the stone.

Sorry, Im not sure what the abbreviations stand for but here are the stats

TD: 62.3%
TS: 55%
CA: 33.5 DEG
CH 14.5%
PA: 41.2 DEG
PD: 43.5 DEG
SL: 50%
LH: 75%

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Slightly iffy from the numbers, due to GIA averaging and rounding of these numbers, should not be too much of a performance issue.

GIA gives that a VG cut because of the G in polish, one their cut grade rule.

Sophie

Rough_Rock
Stone-cold11|1316359565|3020103 said:
Slightly iffy from the numbers, due to GIA averaging and rounding of these numbers, should not be too much of a performance issue.

GIA gives that a VG cut because of the G in polish, one their cut grade rule.

Does this mean that it is not really a very good cut?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, he's just saying it didn't earn the excellent cut grade in part because of symmetry or polish issues. With GIA's rounding, it's always a bit more difficult to get a clear picture of precise angles. GIA's top grade would be for cut, symmetry and polish - all excellents. The stone should not suffer in performance due to polish and symmetry. The bottom line is that you guys picked it so obviously you love it.

We would love to see a picture of your stone!

Sophie

Rough_Rock
MissGotRocks|1316360936|3020118 said:
No, he's just saying it didn't earn the excellent cut grade in part because of symmetry or polish issues. With GIA's rounding, it's always a bit more difficult to get a clear picture of precise angles. GIA's top grade would be for cut, symmetry and polish - all excellents. The stone should not suffer in performance due to polish and symmetry. The bottom line is that you guys picked it so obviously you love it.

We would love to see a picture of your stone!

Ahh thank you for clearing that up. :))

Sophie

Rough_Rock
Stone-cold11|1316361653|3020126 said:
GIA grades cut mainly by proportions with some rules. From just the proportions, your stone should be an Ex cut grade but is downgraded to a VG cut grade because of the G in polish.

https://www.gia.edu/_webapps/laboratory/facetware/dsp_CutCalculator.cfm

Ahh that makes sense......

So overall its a decent stone?

It gets so confusing when your new to all this so your knowledge and advice is all greatly recieved.

Im getting my diamond mounted next week, hence double checking the stone is ok....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results