shape
carat
color
clarity

Please convince me to return this to Blue Nile!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

seiyacosmos

Rough_Rock
This is what I got.

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-signature-ideal-cut-f-color-vvs1-clarity_LD01311726?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0

Signature ideal, 1.33, F, VVS1, excellent cut, excellent polish, excellent symmetry.
Table:55%
Depth:61.7%
Crown Angle:35%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8%
TCA 1.5
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread or diameter for weight Very Good

I couldn''t find a stone with similar specs for cheaper anywhere else. The only way to get the price down is to settle for "ideal" instead of "signature ideal". As an anal-retentive perfectionist-pragmatist, I''m particular about the color being "colorless" and clarity being nearly without inclusions. Tell me I didn''t overpay so I don''t have to return it since I''m still within the 30-day window period.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you said you like the "colorless" and the "clairty flawless" but you can still have "colorless" at a G level and pay a lot less, and also clarity at a VS1 or VS2 level, and save a ton of dough, or get a larger stone (most women perfer the larger stone)

I''d say the happy medium you need would be to go down slightly in color and clarity, and get the "signature ideal" cut because, cut is king. I''ve seen WHITE stones that are J in color, but show little or no color because they are ideal cut diamonds.

Just my 2cents.

In saying that though, I didn''t put the numbers in the diamond calculator, but alls that matters is that YOUR happy with the stone. IMO if your asking if you "got a good stone" because you feel you "compromised cut" then you should return it and get something your fully happy with.

As for price, you can compare similar stats to goodoldgold.com, whiteflash.com, exceldiamonds.com, jamesallen.com, etc.

Just an FYI I dont believe bluenile has an upgrade policy. If that is something your interested in down the road, you might want to use goodoldgold, or one of the other vendors. Some of them even have a great buy back policy (heaven forbid something should ever happen, but it does, not just break-ups, but unexpected thing during this ecomony)

Hope this helps!

seiyacosmos

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply.

The cut already is the "signature ideal".

I''ve already compared prices at GOG, WF, JA, etc., and it seems like I got a good deal.

Neither my SO or me think that we''ll be upgrading. There''s a certain amount of sentimental value to an engagement ring/diamond that does not let it to be sold/upgraded.

I just want to know if I''m missing something since many people here thinks that BN is overpriced and yet I can''t find a rock of similar spec elsewhere for cheaper.

Thoughts? Ideas?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it fits what you are looking for then keep it! What really matters is what you think!
1.gif

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''m sorry if I missed this, but have you recieved the diamond yet?
If so, how does it look?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what is a perfectionist-pragmatist???

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 10:14:04 PM
Author: redrose229
I know you said you like the ''colorless'' and the ''clairty flawless'' but you can still have ''colorless'' at a G level and pay a lot less, and also clarity at a VS1 or VS2 level, and save a ton of dough, or get a larger stone (most women perfer the larger stone)

I''d say the happy medium you need would be to go down slightly in color and clarity, and get the ''signature ideal'' cut because, cut is king. I''ve seen WHITE stones that are J in color, but show little or no color because they are ideal cut diamonds.

Just my 2cents.

In saying that though, I didn''t put the numbers in the diamond calculator, but alls that matters is that YOUR happy with the stone. IMO if your asking if you ''got a good stone'' because you feel you ''compromised cut'' then you should return it and get something your fully happy with.

As for price, you can compare similar stats to goodoldgold.com, whiteflash.com, exceldiamonds.com, jamesallen.com, etc.

Just an FYI I dont believe bluenile has an upgrade policy. If that is something your interested in down the road, you might want to use goodoldgold, or one of the other vendors. Some of them even have a great buy back policy (heaven forbid something should ever happen, but it does, not just break-ups, but unexpected thing during this ecomony)

Hope this helps!
''Signature ideal'' only means it is a BN in house stone (not a virtual stone), doesn''t mean it is cut any better than a stone with cherry specs.

seiyacosmos

Rough_Rock
I got the rock already, but I have a little less than 2 weeks to return it.

A perfectionist-pragmatist=someone who is willing to pay extra for "better" stuff but within some reason.

I understand that the "signature-ideal" may not be any better than cherry-picked "ideal".

To my un-trained eye, the gem looks fantastic!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure BN is ''overpriced''. In fact, I thought it was one of the most competitive vendors, as far as price goes...

moneyman

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 10:05:41 PM
Author:seiyacosmos
This is what I got.

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-signature-ideal-cut-f-color-vvs1-clarity_LD01311726?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0

Signature ideal, 1.33, F, VVS1, excellent cut, excellent polish, excellent symmetry.
Table:55%
Depth:61.7%
Crown Angle:35%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8%
TCA 1.5
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread or diameter for weight Very Good

I couldn''t find a stone with similar specs for cheaper anywhere else. The only way to get the price down is to settle for ''ideal'' instead of ''signature ideal''. As an anal-retentive perfectionist-pragmatist, I''m particular about the color being ''colorless'' and clarity being nearly without inclusions. Tell me I didn''t overpay so I don''t have to return it since I''m still within the 30-day window period.
Just to put my opinion in perspective, I joined this board recently because I was thinking about buying my girlfriend a diamond I wanted rather than something she wanted. The wonderful people her convinced me otherwise. Then I wanted advice on the best diamond. I''ve been looking for something in the 1.85 ct+ range with for $13-15k, but up to $20k if i found something really interesting.

I was dead set on something colorless (D-F), but the ladies here convinced me that G, H or I could look very white when you had an awesome cut. I went to Tiffany''s and they were right. I have a very good eye for color, but the G and H''s I saw looked fantastic in their settings. You''ll never been able to view diamonds face down on white paper again once you set the ring. So you could skimp on that. But remembering how dead set I was, no opinion from here will change your mind. Go to a store like Tiffany''s where you know the cuts will be good and ask to view G, H and I''s. For the lower colors, blue fluorescence is supposed to improve the look.

Keep in mind this is advice from someone who ended up buying an "eye clean" SI1, but I think your most likely place to skimp (if you want) is clarity. You are paying a very high premium for VVS1. You should be able to save a good chunk of change without sacrificing appearance by dropping down to VS1 or VS2. NOBODY can tell the difference between a VVS1 and VS1 without magnification.

But remember that it''s all about what makes you the happiest. If you feel good wearing the diamond you picked out, dont worry about what else you should or could do, just enjoy your beautiful diamond.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok.

So.

It meets your specifications.

It passes HCA.

You compared other vendors for comparable stones at similar prices and thought you were getting a good deal.

You aren''t complaining about how it looks, I assume it''s a nice diamond.

So... why are we talking you out of anything?

BN is comparably priced, not overpriced. People who don''t know what diamonds cost always think that the ''real'' prices of diamonds are inflated. They just don''t know better.

Unless you WANT us to talk you into lower color or clarity and convice you that something that is ''mind clean'' for us would be for you too (which we can''t do), I''d say you are good to go. Enjoy your diamond, and congrats!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you have your wires crossed...BN isn''t overpriced, they simply lack some of the perks (upgrade policies) and personal service that other vendors have.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 7:30:35 AM
Author: neatfreak
I think you have your wires crossed...BN isn''t overpriced, they simply lack some of the perks (upgrade policies) and personal service that other vendors have.
Ditto.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, we got what I know now was a great deal from BN. With ideal round specs in hand I searched for a goodly time in their merely "ideal" section. I found a J stone VS2, that met both the GIA and AGS specs for fabulosity. ;-) AND it actually turned out to be H&A too. The only reason I think it may not have made their Signature Ideal cut, it because it was a J.

Anyway, what they said. BN is competitively priced, but as has been mentioned, doesn''t have the upgrade policy or all the nifty pictures that some of the vendors provide. But that doesn''t bother you, and picking from the numbers (on a round) doesn''t give you the willies, BN can provide as lovely a stone as anyone, IMO.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Is there anything you don''t like about it?

I''d keep it, stop over-analyzing it and enjoy it! You got a stone within your specs for a price that you can''t beat, what isn''t to love?

mkozaka

Rough_Rock
Return it. I just purchased a 1.51 Ideal, F, VS2 from BN. HCA 1.3, looks amazing! There are a few pictures in one of my other posts.

seiyacosmos

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your advice. I''ll be thinking about this for a few more days.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 8:13:13 AM
Author: Pippin
Playing devil''s advocate....

This one is 1.33 ct as well, F, VS1, almost the same measurements as your stone, with a HCA of 1.2 (ex, ex, ex, vg) and $7540 cheaper. But it''s ''only'' an ideal cut, LOL.

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-f-color-vs1-clarity_LD00996331?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0#grading_report

1.gif
weird...i just looked up pippin''s diamond, and it''s signature ideal!! if pippin didn''t make a mistake, then could blue nile have "adopted" this diamond into their in house collection over the past couple of weeks, and perhaps raised the price too? both diamonds are "not available for purchase", but the links still work.

current price of pippin''s VS1 diamond: $12,848
current price of seiyacosmos''s VVS1 diamond: $18,505
difference: $5657

the price difference is now only $5657, so i''m wondering if perhaps pippin''s diamond price increased by $1883! the specs look very similar except for VS1 vs VVS1.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 10:19:21 PM
Author: silverbuggy

This one is 1.33 ct as well, F, VS1, almost the same measurements as your stone, with a HCA of 1.2 (ex, ex, ex, vg) and $7540 cheaper. But it''s ''only'' an ideal cut, LOL.

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-f-color-vs1-clarity_LD00996331?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0#grading_report

1.gif

weird...i just looked up pippin''s diamond, and it''s signature ideal!! if pippin didn''t make a mistake, then could blue nile have ''adopted'' this diamond into their in house collection over the past couple of weeks, and perhaps raised the price too? both diamonds are ''not available for purchase'', but the links still work.

the price difference is now only $5657, so i''m wondering if perhaps pippin''s diamond price increased by $1883! the specs look very similar except for VS1 vs VVS1.

That jump on clarity can make a big difference in price.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2009 10:40:07 PM

1.gif

weird...i just looked up pippin''s diamond, and it''s signature ideal!! if pippin didn''t make a mistake, then could blue nile have ''adopted'' this diamond into their in house collection over the past couple of weeks, and perhaps raised the price too? both diamonds are ''not available for purchase'', but the links still work.

Ditto

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 10:40:07 PM

1.gif

Actually, my surprise was that pippin''s VS1 diamond seemed to have increased $1883 in price after it got upgraded from Ideal to Signature-Ideal...Is that expected?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results