shape
carat
color
clarity

Please comment on the ring I am going to buy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nuthead

Rough_Rock
I am thinking of buying the following stone and hope some of the gurus here on this forum would give me a fair opinion. The price tag of the stone is $11K.

Shape: Round
Weight: 1.51 ct
Clarity: VS-2
Color: H-1
Measurements: 7.34 - 7.39 - 4.53mm
Table: 56%
Total Depth: 61.50%
Crown Angle: 34.5 degrees
Crown Height: 16.21
Pavilion Angle: 40.75 degrees
Pavilion Depth: 43.10%
Polish: excellent
Symmetry: excellent
Girdle: .7 - 1.7%
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Authenticity: Natural
Treatment: None

My top questions are 1)is this an ideal cut? 2)is it worth the moeny?

Thanks a million.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The dimentions of the stone are withing the ideal proportions.

The price is about $ 1500.00 more than it should be

check the web, and do your home work.

nuthead

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that website before. I took a peak at it and sure the price there is very reasonable. But since I am going to trade in an old stone I bought from the same vendor 3 years ago, I don't know how much bargain power I possess. He definitely charged me a lot higher price for the old stone, but he is going to give me full credit for that. What should I do?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Yes, the stone is exceptionally well cut by the numbers. As long at it looks as nice as the number say it should, you've got an UNBEATABLE find. Numbers don't get any better than those.

I disagree about the diamond being overpriced - it's *right* in line with LIKE stones (with superideal cut proportions) from online vendors. I found this one as comparison:

1.543; H; VS1; 0 (H&A); 1.3-EX ex-ex-ex-vg , 60.4, 56, 34.8°, 40.8°, AGS, 0.9-1.5, pt, id, id, no, $11385

I believe $11K is a good price for your stone.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I disagree with the price being in "line".
YOu had mentioned that the stone is HVS2 not HVS1, and that is not in "line", I stand by what I said it is overpriced by $1,500.00+.

aneelcon

Shiny_Rock
wow, I thought you were calling diamondsman a 'nuthead'!!

Yes that stones seems nice and good price too. I have to agree with aldjeway..

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
We are not allowed to advertise on this forum where we saw similar/same stones,and provide you with a link ,that is somthing you have to do on your own and search between different vendors and sites. I did see a similar stone for approx.$9,237.00.-9,693.00

Like I said before do a little homework before making a decision.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Diamondsman, your not-very-veiled attempts to sell your own diamonds on this forum are very unappealing. You're not doing yourself any favors by trying to get around the rules. You'll just turn off potential customers.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Nut~

You will get far more on trade-in for your current diamond than selling it outright to the jeweler. The asking price on the diamond is fair, as AL demonstrated. With your trade, you are probably money ahead with the deal you've been offered.

Very nice diamond, BTW. Let us know what you decide.
1.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Is this stone certified?

Also, I assume that the H-1 means as colorless as "H" gets, rather than a range between H and I?

The cut does appear to be very good. The price is within reasonable limits. People pay a great range for different goods (ok, I admit it, I watched Donald Trump's The Apprentice) tonight. Since you are within the range (although admittedly on the high end, but this makes sense due to the cut quality of your stone) of internet prices for reasonable stones, this is probably a great deal for an in-store purchase (as long as it is certified by one of the most reputable labs).

Similar stone that sold for $11,700

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yeah,I agree with phoenixgirl,
We forgot to ask who was the stone certified by?

but then again measurments are measuremnts, and as my accountant says "numbers don't lie"
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 1/28/2004 9:22:01 PM aneelcon wrote:

wow, I thought you were calling diamondsman a 'nuthead'
----------------

That is the funniest thing I've read all day!

No, I wouldn't resort to that at all.....not only is it unnecessary, it would be unbecoming. It's just a difference of opinion.....which is bound to happen from time to time.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 1/28/2004 10:51:31 PM phoenixgirl wrote:

Similar stone that sold for $11,700
----------------

Interesting. I note that the reports on this were dated May, 2002......do you happen to know when this stone sold?

I ask only because I seem to recall a few price increases in my year on PS, and if this diamond sold more than 18 months ago, it could be that current day prices would be more.

nuthead

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the replies. I really appreciate it.

I would need to get the lab certification. Since the vendor is not in the same geographic location as mine, I have not seen the stone yet.

Yes, the H-1 is a high H, I suppose it is the best I can get in H category.

By trade in the old stone, I can get a full credit. This is the most appealing part of the deal. It seems most people believe that the asking price is either a bit high or fair. It is definitely not a bargain. Do you think I should negotiate with the vendor? How? By showing him other stones I can find online?

Thanks again!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is bullshit.

Sorry I never swear online - but that stone has exact Tolkowsky crown and pavilion to the second decimal place.

THERE IS NO WAY TO MEASURE A STONE TO THAT ACCURACY

This is fraudulent and ficticious info.

Besides diamonds are one color or another.
H/I = being a little bit pregnant

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree with cutnut.
The G.I.A doesnot provide the pavillion angles and depths,therefore it must be an E.G.L certifiacte ,and for an E.G.L cert. that is way overpriced.
If that is the case than the dealer is really offering you $2,000.00-$3,000.00 less on your stone.by over charging it on the stone he is selling you.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You could very well be right cutnut,it's early here.
You mean that there is no cert?
Nuthead, I would suggest verifing that it has a certificate from a world renouned laboratory.

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 1/29/2004 1:28:55 AM nuthead wrote:

Thank you all for the replies. I really appreciate it.

I would need to get the lab certification. Since the vendor is not in the same geographic location as mine, I have not seen the stone yet.

Yes, the H-1 is a high H, I suppose it is the best I can get in H category.

----------------

Okay, the only place I have heard H1 (as a subdivision of color grade) is the ever popular, Fred Cuellar. Dare I ask who the vendor is?

That and what is the certificate?

nuthead

Rough_Rock
Thanks you all for the messages!

But now I am getting more confused than before.

Q1: Cut Nut, how does the formula for calculating crown % work? Are you saying the crown % quoted was bonus?

Q2: The vendor claims that the stone is much more expensive than the price he is quoting me. When I mentioned the Rap report, he pulled out and said for 1.5ct VS2 and H stones, the $/caret is $7,500. But I can only find $6,400 from the Rap report that I can find here. He claimed his stone is far better cut than the one quoted in Rap report. Is this true?

Q3: It is certified by GIA. Yes, GIA does not provide pavilion angle and depth%. My vendor said he used his machine to measure that. Cut Nut, do you mean a perfect Tolkowsky crown and pavilion does not exist?

Q4: The vendor is giving me 30 days to return it if I don't like it. I think as soon as I got the stone, I am going to run some independent appraisal to see if it is worth the money.

Any more suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 1/29/2004 2:12:44 AM Cut Nut wrote:

that stone has exact Tolkowsky crown and pavilion to the second decimal place.
THERE IS NO WAY TO MEASURE A STONE TO THAT ACCURACY
----------------

Dave Atlas might disagree with you, and see your two decimal places with three
1.gif
, although the technology isn't generally available to the public.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 1/29/2004 12:42:15 PM nuthead wrote:

Q2: The vendor claims that the stone is much more expensive than the price he is quoting me. When I mentioned the Rap report, he pulled out and said for 1.5ct VS2 and H stones, the $/caret is $7,500. But I can only find $6,400 from the Rap report that I can find here. He claimed his stone is far better cut than the one quoted in Rap report. Is this true? ----------------

Why haven't you done a "search by cut quality" here...there's more BS from your vendor than just the measurements
1.gif

nuthead

Rough_Rock
He does have a lot of BS going on, but since I am trading in the old stone that I bought from him a few years ago, and he is giving me full credit, I think he is my option. As long as he doesn't over charge me by too much, I am better off with him. The alternative is to sell the old stone(I paid $6K for 0.90ct, VS2 H) somewhere else, but I believe I over paid that one for as much as $1,000.

nuthead

Rough_Rock
My old stone is better than that one. But I still think I overpaid by $500 to $1K.

But the question is, if the new stone is a genuinely great one, I think I should just take it.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have never operated a sarin machine, and I don't know how accurate they can be. However, as long as you have a return policy, you can get a new sarin report from an appraiser or another jeweler. If it doesn't match, return it. If it does, great!

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. Be wary of anyone who splits color grades and feels compelled to list the "Authenticity" as "natural".

On the other hand, if he'll give you $6K for the stone you have now it might be worth a shot. You certainly won't get within miles of $6K elsewhere. And, if you get those specs in writing, he'll be obligated to sell you a stone for those specs at that price. You can have the stone checked by a pro and demand the vendor make good if this stone doesn't match the spec.

Be careful!

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My suggestion is you get a copy of the GIA Diamond Grading Report and a copy of the Sarin report and give that to us. Something is not quite right here and somebody is feeding you a line of bull. If he cannot be honest with you with this information, I suggest you fine someone else to deal with. It does not matter where in the world you or he is. This is the internet. CutNut is in Australia and I am in Texas. I can send him a GIA cert and Sarin in two seconds!
If you are dealing with Fred, be very, very careful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results