shape
carat
color
clarity

Please check out this diamond - I need help desperately please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marinasmk

Rough_Rock
I just went into a "wholesale" diamond store specializing in ideal cuts. I found this stone that I actually purchased and want to make sure I didn''t make a mistake. I left it at the store until I schedule an appointment with an independent appraiser, but I wanted to get feedback from you experts on pricescope. Here are the measurements on the diamond.

1.71 ct
7.80 - 773 X 475
H
VS2
61.2 Depth
58 table
Excellent polish
Excellent symmetry
very thin facet gird.
crown 14
pav. 44
Florescence Faint
***EGL certificate with Ideal Cut***

Do you think $9000 is a fair price for this diamond????

I don''t know how to check these measurements, although I see many of you on these boards know how to check if a diamond is good quality with brilliance and fire. This stone looked great to my untrained eye....but will it have brilliance and fire? I looked at it under a hearts and arrow viewer, and it had perfect hearts and arrows.

Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all of you on this board.

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
Hi Marina, you have a nice spread but a very thin girdle which I would have some concern about. Also, it doesn't seem to be an ideal cut. Below, are some comparable diamonds which average about $2000 more than your diamond. I'm not sure how a thin girdle impacts a diamond but I don't think it's good thing. There are numerous experts on this forum who know a lot more than I do...I hope they chime in. Good Luck!!!!

Carat: 1.71
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 61.9%
Table: 59%
Lab: GIA
Girdle: tn-tk
Cult: no
Polish: vg
Symmetry: vg
Flr: no
Measurements: 7.61-7.65x4.72
Price per carat: $6580
$11253SP

H
VS2
61.9%
59%
GIA
tn-tk
no
vg
vg
no
7.61-7.65x4.72
$6609
$11301*S

H
VS2
61.9%
59%
GIA
tn-tk
no
vg
vg
no
7.61x7.65x4.72
$6613
$11309*SP

H
VS2
61.9%
59%
GIA
tn-tk
no
vg
vg
no
7.61-7.65x4.72
$6690
$11440*SP

H
VS2
61.9%
59%
GIA
tn-tk
no
vg
vg
no
7.61-7.65x4.72
$6888
$11778

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I'm assuming that, since you laid down $9K for this stone, you're pretty smitten w it?
1.gif

Altho you didn't provide crown/pav angles, using the % as a substitute (it's less accurate tho) the HCA grade is 3.9 "very good - worth buying if the price is right"... & looks like it's a "1B" on the AGA cut chart.

None of which matters if you really luv the look of the stone...?

Can I ask which EGL certified this stone - US/Isreal/Antwerp? US branch tends to be more accurate w grading.

EGL stones tend to be less expensive than GIA or AGA graded stones... whether it's a fair price depends on if it's really a H VS2 or an I SI1, for ex...

marinasmk

Rough_Rock
Hello.

Thanks to all for the information.

I'm not sure which EGL certified it...I left the certificate with the diamond at the store where I purchased it from. I don't think it's USA, though.

I'm really concerned about the very thin faceted girdle, now...as this is much $$$$ to spend. I don't want to have to worry about it chipping.

I think I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if I can shop for another stone.

Thanks so much!

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I would be cautious about an EGL H - that could be more like a J... Did you see the color in it when you saw it?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I would avoid stones with a "very thin" girdle. i have one and it has chipped...and I am NOT hard on myjewelry and don' wear my rings when doing housework, gardening, etc.

EGL can prasent a great value--I have an EGL H-SI2 stone that checked out A-ok (appraiser felt it was actually conservative on the clarity)--but that is the key--check out ANY stone with an indepedant appraiser, esp. EGL Europe-Israel b/c they do have a reputation for inconsistency.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results