shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Assist in Sourcing RB from BN ($25K Budget, ~2 Carats)

CJMT2018

Rough_Rock
Hi All!

I have been waiting for a very long time to be able to request this forum's assistance in finding *the* diamond. I respect your passion, experience, and willingness to help those less educated on the details that go far beyond the 4 C's.

My boyfriend and I visited Mervis Diamond Importers this past weekend to see what we are and are not flexible on. While we enjoyed being able to see the diamonds in real life, the price difference for similar diamonds is far cheaper online.

While I know know the diamond basics, when it comes to spread, depth, etc., I am unable to decipher what I should be looking for.

I know this goes without saying, but I value quality over carat weight, so if 2 carats is unattainable with the budget and specifications below, I am happy to go under 2 carats. However, I am looking to stay above 1.75 carats. If it makes a difference, my ring size is 4.5. Lastly, this will be going in a simple platinum setting, set as low as we can get it.

Non-negotiables:
  • Round
  • BlueNile
  • $25K Budget
  • D - F Range
  • None to Slight Florescence
  • Triple Excellent/ Ideal Cut
Negotiables:
  • Clarity - I am more sensitive to flaws than my boyfriend, but if the diamond is truly eye clean, I am game.
Please let me know if additional information is needed. We are very excited and this process has been a lot of fun so far. Thanks so much in advance for all of your help!

-CJMT2018

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
1) HCA is 1.3
2) HCA is 5.7 YIKES!!!
3) HCA is 2.3

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suggest you go down to a Vs1 or VS2 clarify.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have many diamonds from blue Nile, so I obviously love them.... curious, though, about why you only want to use them.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!

A few thoughts - and I'm not an expert, I just love diamonds.

Why only Bluenile? Where are you based? Yes ok you can find some great diamonds on there but you have to really know your stuff as even GIA triple excellent can look like duds if they have the wrong proportions.

There are other companies that take a lot of the work out of it for you and you can get stones in or less than your budget that potentially meet your criteria (see below). For example, Whiteflash. I'm sure others will mention other companies.

Next, your criteria. I note your first two stones posted are internally flawless. I didn't look at the third. Clearly internally flawless would be eye clean, but not necessarily a nice diamond. But so too would VVS1, VVS2, VS1, nearly all VS2s and quite a lot of SI1s... and the better the cut the more beautiful the diamond. You'll get a LOT more for your money if you're willing to stretch on the clarity where you can only see it with a loupe anyway and not with your eyes from normal viewing distances.

I do understand more about colour. I'm quite colour sensitive too. Do you have any room for flexibility on it or are Gs noticeably yellow to you?

There are some angles to try to stay within to help at least with initial looking... I don't know them off the top of my head let me look them up from advice a lovely person gave me...

Table: 54-58

Depth: 60-62.3

Crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pavillion angle).

Come back to us with the answer to those questions and I'm sure everyone here will do their best to help you. You have a lovely budget to work with so you should get nothing less than a beautiful stone that both of you are delighted with!

Best,
Lydia

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
I have to agree with the others when they ask if there is a specific reason to go with BlueNile? They are great value but sometimes the ratios/cut may be not quite ideal even though the stats look great. If you're willing to move on the BlueNile factor, I would check out White Flash as mentioned by @Lykame or even Victor Canera's. Both vendors get amazing reviews here on PS :)

If you were willing to reconsider the vendor, you could check these two from VC out?

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104097665001-2.012-g-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104097665001-2.012-g-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

His imaging is top notch and you really get a great view of each stone. Im sure he could make you exactly what you were looking for on the setting too?

You have a great budget to work with so no doubt you will find something great, wherever it may be!

CJMT2018

Rough_Rock
1) HCA is 1.3
2) HCA is 5.7 YIKES!!!
3) HCA is 2.3

Thank you for this! Yikes indeed on number 2.

I suggest you go down to a Vs1 or VS2 clarify.

I am quite flexible on clarity! I just don't know how to go down in clarity while ensuring the diamond is still eye clean.

I have many diamonds from blue Nile, so I obviously love them.... curious, though, about why you only want to use them.

Fair question! I know there are many favored vendors to search for diamonds and I am agreeable to selecting from them. My boyfriend is completely brand new to diamonds and a few of his friends have used BlueNile and are extremely happy with their purchases. That is where the non-negotiable came from. Just spoke with him, and we are open to other vendors!

CJMT2018

Rough_Rock
Hi!

A few thoughts - and I'm not an expert, I just love diamonds.

Why only Bluenile? Where are you based? Yes ok you can find some great diamonds on there but you have to really know your stuff as even GIA triple excellent can look like duds if they have the wrong proportions.

There are other companies that take a lot of the work out of it for you and you can get stones in or less than your budget that potentially meet your criteria (see below). For example, Whiteflash. I'm sure others will mention other companies.

Next, your criteria. I note your first two stones posted are internally flawless. I didn't look at the third. Clearly internally flawless would be eye clean, but not necessarily a nice diamond. But so too would VVS1, VVS2, VS1, nearly all VS2s and quite a lot of SI1s... and the better the cut the more beautiful the diamond. You'll get a LOT more for your money if you're willing to stretch on the clarity where you can only see it with a loupe anyway and not with your eyes from normal viewing distances.

I do understand more about colour. I'm quite colour sensitive too. Do you have any room for flexibility on it or are Gs noticeably yellow to you?

There are some angles to try to stay within to help at least with initial looking... I don't know them off the top of my head let me look them up from advice a lovely person gave me...

Table: 54-58

Depth: 60-62.3

Crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pavillion angle).

Come back to us with the answer to those questions and I'm sure everyone here will do their best to help you. You have a lovely budget to work with so you should get nothing less than a beautiful stone that both of you are delighted with!

Best,
Lydia

Wow! Thank you so much for your response, Lydia!

BlueNile was a non-negotiable for my boyfriend, but after seeing the responses on our thread, he is open to other vendors!

We are based in Washington, DC. Yes, you are right. Ohsomethingshiny, made that so clear when she shared the HCA scores with me, and I'm thankful!

Yes, WF, GOG, BGD, VC, LM and on and on! So many great vendors. I am happy we've opened our search to other possibilities.

I am open to going as low as VS2 and even SI1 if it's truly eye clean. In store, we saw an "eye clean" SI1, as described by the sales woman, and when the stone was face down, I saw many white whispies when I looked closely, and many white specks face up. I wasn't comfortable with that. So, I am not certain if SI1 is a possibility if that's the norm, or if we can find a truly eye-clean SI1.

We also took a look at many G-H stones and found them beautiful, but when she brought out the D-F stones, the difference was quite notiecable to us.

All in all, I do prefer D-F color and am quite flexible on clarity.

I am hoping with all my hope that my boyfriend will take the diamond to LM or VC to set!

CJMT2018

Rough_Rock
I have to agree with the others when they ask if there is a specific reason to go with BlueNile? They are great value but sometimes the ratios/cut may be not quite ideal even though the stats look great. If you're willing to move on the BlueNile factor, I would check out White Flash as mentioned by @Lykame or even Victor Canera's. Both vendors get amazing reviews here on PS :)

If you were willing to reconsider the vendor, you could check these two from VC out?

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104087777011-1.702-g-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

His imaging is top notch and you really get a great view of each stone. Im sure he could make you exactly what you were looking for on the setting too?

You have a great budget to work with so no doubt you will find something great, wherever it may be!

Hi, torontocatlady! Thank you! Hehe, I saw your edit. I just copied and pasted the second diamond into the quoted response. Boyfriend has agreed to open up the search to other vendors! I will certainly do a search on WF and send some stones for consideration.

That 2.01 is gorgeous! D-F color range is truly non-negotiable, though.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bam.

2.07 Branded Crafted by Infinity diamond. A super ideal diamond.
H color (will be white)
SI1 guaranteed to be eyeclean and with only clear inclusions.

Wire price, $21,039 ask for a video!!

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD8606

There is no need really to go up in color and clarity in a branded super ideal diamond. H will be white (though I will look for higher color)

White flash is another place to look.

Also, compare MM sizes, as diamonds cut too deep will not spread as large because weight in depth.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can also have HPD/CBI brought into a jeweler near you so you can see. A regular diamond can not compare (IMO)to a super ideal, nor can a regular sales person compare to someone who knows what he/she is talking about.

Eye clean is subjective though. I have an SI2 hpd/CBI and I have never been able to find the inclusion. (Even using a loupe)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

BlueNile was a non-negotiable for my boyfriend, but after seeing the responses on our thread, he is open to other vendors!

We are based in Washington, DC. Yes, you are right. Ohsomethingshiny, made that so clear when she shared the HCA scores with me, and I'm thankful!

Yes, WF, GOG, BGD, VC, LM and on and on! So many great vendors. I am happy we've opened our search to other possibilities.

I am open to going as low as VS2 and even SI1 if it's truly eye clean. In store, we saw an "eye clean" SI1, as described by the sales woman, and when the stone was face down, I saw many white whispies when I looked closely, and many white specks face up. I wasn't comfortable with that. So, I am not certain if SI1 is a possibility if that's the norm, or if we can find a truly eye-clean SI1.

We also took a look at many G-H stones and found them beautiful, but when she brought out the D-F stones, the difference was quite notiecable to us.

I am hoping with all my hope that my boyfriend will take the diamond to LM or VC to set!

What was the cut grade or hca of that SI1 you saw? Just curious. It may have been a “you can do much better but it is what they had in stock” diamond.

CJMT2018

Rough_Rock
Bam.

2.07 Branded Crafted by Infinity diamond. A super ideal diamond.
H color (will be white)
SI1 guaranteed to be eyeclean and with only clear inclusions.

Wire price, $21,039 ask for a video!!

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD8606

There is no need really to go up in color and clarity in a branded super ideal diamond. H will be white (though I will look for higher color)

White flash is another place to look.

Also, compare MM sizes, as diamonds cut too deep will not spread as large because weight in depth.

Wow!!! I was getting more and more excited with each of your posts! That is insanely beautiful. Boyfriend didn't share same sentiment. o_O He isn't budging on the color.

1.87 F Si1 (again guaranteed to be eye clean with clear inclusions)
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10112

Blue Nile cannot match the upgrade policies at white flash or High Performance Diamonds/Crafted by Infinity.

I will look later on at Blue Nile.

Another beautiful stone. I'll talk about this one with the boyfriend.

You can also have HPD/CBI brought into a jeweler near you so you can see. A regular diamond can not compare (IMO)to a super ideal, nor can a regular sales person compare to someone who knows what he/she is talking about.

Eye clean is subjective though. I have an SI2 hpd/CBI and I have never been able to find the inclusion. (Even using a loupe)

I agree, I just need to find that eye-clean SI that is bright enough for the boyfriend to be happy with. I love that 2.07 H, though! And that price...

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
What was the cut grade or hca of that SI1 you saw? Just curious. It may have been a “you can do much better but it is what they had in stock” diamond.

Totally agree!!! We went to a number of different places when shopping and SI1's look different everywhere however there ARE some that are definitely eye clean, even to an SI2 as has been mentioned. I found the same thing with colour too... from place to place colours look different and also once set it can pick up from the setting. Especially with platinum, people say it looks a grade lighter :) Take your time and look at all the options, especially if your man is new to buying diamonds! Its totally intimidating but theres so much knowledge in these forums you you are in great hands

So many great options to choose from and I think that some jewellers will give you a discount on the setting if you pick and in house diamond - something to keep in mind too!

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree, I just need to find that eye-clean SI that is bright enough for the boyfriend to be happy with. I love that 2.07 H, though! And that price...

A super ideal H won’t be like an “excellent” H. It will be much whiter. This is a 1.83 ACA I (one color step down) from White Flash on my hand:
FE296A3B-E505-455A-966A-5CC81DAA7ECC.jpeg 5DF6C6D5-7552-4214-95DB-4D95A219D963.jpeg

Last edited:

CJMT2018

Rough_Rock

She didn't share. When I asked questions past the 4 Cs, she didn't have the answer or seemed annoyed. I didn't ask about HCA, but did ask about cut grade. She didn't have her "cheat sheet," so she didn't know. She came off as trying to make a sale versus making it an inclusive experience.

They did call us a few days later and offered to bring some stones in from their other locations, and while we had very specific reqs in mind, none of the stones they mentioned met our criteria.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to see a super idea G-H-I-J in person before rejecting it. I had a super ideal K CBI to start with and it was white. (It was too small lol).

With all due respect, your BF needs to see them in person. A super ideal is a different animal.

Read here and watch this video. I’m sure whiteflash has similar information on their website.
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/education/education-color

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To get a sense of super-ideals and their options, you could visit a Hearts on Fire dealers (leave your wallet at home...we call them wallets on fire). Also, its a significant budget, would a trip to be possible? Both WF and BGD are located close enough to visit both in Texas. Good Old Gold is out on Long Island.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock

Hi! :)

I'm glad you're open to other vendors, that is really great. Just so you know, I have had a hunt through diamonds within your price range and reference ranges on Bluenile just to see if there was anything, and personally I couldn't find anything that would match what you wanted that would also have the potential of being a great cut. Someone else might have better searching fingers though.

In terms of your concerns about SI1 - there are definitely different degrees of SI1 (and also different degrees of 'mind-clean' if we're being honest here!). You can get some amazing eye-clean stones but please bear in mind 'eye-clean' means different things to different people. Good vendors will be upfront about what their definition of 'eye-clean' is. It's NOT usually looking at the stone placed face-down so that you're looking at the body of the diamond from a few inches away. It's usually looking at the face of the diamond from a certain distance, say 8-10 inches. You can definitely get some bad SI1s where the inclusions are visible. Often in standard brick and mortar stores their stone quality might leave something to be questioned... what type of certificated stones did you look at?

Basically what I'm trying to say is - and you already clearly know this - you should choose a reputable dealer who will be open and upfront with you about the stones that they have, and whether or not they're 'eye-clean' based on their definition. If you have different criteria you can let them know. You can have a think about their upgrade policy too/return policy etc and see whether all those things put together work for you.

Also totally approve of your setting options! You could think about VC for your stone supply if you're going to use him for a setting. You could also think about other vendors - GoodOldGold are another option you could think about contacting, they do a lot of video assessments/light performance assessments and also take a lot of the anxiety out of diamond finding.

You have so many options, hopefully it won't be too overwhelming for you! :) I'm sure now you've made it more clear what you can and can't accept you'll get various people offering their wisdom on potential diamonds that will all be excellent. :)

Best,
Lydia.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wild cards:

2.538 J vs2 $23,074
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3999628.htm

2.528 I Si1 $24,912
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3959046.htm

Back to G $25,832
2.183g Si1
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3999632.htm

Like I said, of all my diamonds, those bought at Blue Nile represent the most diamonds I own. It is such a pain to find the right ones and their trade up policy isn’t great. I would have traded up my asscher if I didn’t have to spend double. I didn’t want to spend double. I wanted to spend about 6k more. I tend to stick with VS2 and above for blue Nile (my studs are SI1 because clear inclusions and they are studs). I also stick with G and above as well, to save myself the trouble of sending things back.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my gosh searching for diamonds is so delicious.

For example:

Okay I know Whitewave posted this one too but yes, drool... (although I do note it's on hold?)
1.87 F SI1 - wire price $24,018

1.76 E VS2 - wire price $24,774
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10253

HPDiamonds definition of eye-clean is (and all their diamonds meet this criteria):
No characteristics visible to a person with normal 20/20 vision viewing the diamond in the face-up position, at a distance of 25cm (10 inches), under normal overhead lighting.

(ETA prices - oops, those are important huh).

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh searching for diamonds is so delicious.

For example:

Okay I know Whitewave posted this one too but yes, drool... (although I do note it's on hold?)
1.87 F SI1 - wire price $24,018

1.76 E VS2 - wire price $24,774
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10253

HPDiamonds definition of eye-clean is (and all their diamonds meet this criteria):
No characteristics visible to a person with normal 20/20 vision viewing the diamond in the face-up position, at a distance of 25cm (10 inches), under normal overhead lighting.

(ETA prices - oops, those are important huh).

It’s a lot of fun and you can dream while helping someone else spend his/her money. Lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results