shape
carat
color
clarity

Please advise

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Please Help!

Rough_Rock
Please let me know your thoughts on this ring and what you think the value is? Thanks!

Round Brilliant
6.83x6.92x4.23mm
1.26 carats
depth - 61.5%
table - 60%
Girdle - slightly thick to thick, faceted
culet - none
polish - very good
symmetry - good
clarity - SI2
Color - G
Fluorescence - faint

luckyguy

Rough_Rock
Is the stone certified by GIA or AGS? Also, do you know the crown and pavilion angles? If you have this info, the veterans of this forum can give you more detailed advice.

I know that I recently looked at a stone that was similar to this one. I had a 1.27 carat, E, SI2, 61.0% depth, and 55% table (supposedly within "ideal" range for both depth and table %s), Thin to medium faceted girdle, culet none, polish very good, and symetry good. The price came to $5,500 cash at a local jeweler. For your stone, I definitely would not go above that price.

I'll admit that I'm a novice at this, but I wouldn't even consider a stone certified by a lab other than GIA or AGS without better knowledge with regard to grading stones. If the stone is not certified, you could have the jeweler send it to the lab and make the sale contingent on the GIA agreeing with his thoughts. I would especialy do this with a stone that a jeweler claims is SI2.

If you a complete novice, check out my thread "Got Burned" posted on 11/19/02.

Someone else will come along with a better range for you, but I was just trying to set an upper limit. Don't forget to run a search for similar diamonds on pricescope to see what various internet vendors are asking for similar diamonds.

Please Help!

Rough_Rock
It has a GIA cert. I am not sure of the angles. I do not believe they are on the cert. Is there a wy to calculate these angles?

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
you have to get what is known as a "Sarin Report" GIA Certs do not list the information. It may seem like a big hassle, but it is definately worthwhile when you are unable to look at a diamond in person. which of course, is always best.

Sarin Reports are usually available from most jewelers, but not all. i would highly recomend if purchasing a diamond sight unseen you get this information.

Please Help!

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the help so far!

This diamond is already in a platinum 6 prong setting. The asking price was $8,000, but the jeweler is willing to sell it for $7,000. Seems a bit high, from what I have heard so far. Is it possible for this diamond to have good angles with the measuremnts that are on the cert or can that only be determined with the Sarin report. The sales person who was GG GIA said it looked a bit deep.

The more research I do on this, the more confusing it becomes. I am looking to spend about $8,000. What should I be looking for? This is how I would rank my preferences.
Cut - Ideal or Very Good
Color - No worse than H or I
Clarity - no worse than VS2
Carat weight - at least 1 carat

luckyguy

Rough_Rock
I had similar criteria as a novice and will most likely end up with a 1.27 carat round like the one I described above. I also lined up a three stone platinum setting with a nice somewhat hefty/thick (not scanty--I don't know the actual weight) platinum 950 setting with two 0.30 F, SI1 sidedstones. I negotiated a price of $7050 for the whole ring including labor. Furthermore, I live on the state line, so there will be no tax due to Fed Ex delivery. Also, I get to see the diamond before I buy. I'm going back in armed with some extra knowledge from this website on Friday to give the stone one final look over before I walk out the door with a new ring.

My priorities were Very good-Excellent cut, which I believe I have achieved, but will reevaluate tomorrow, Color E (I'm very sensitive to color; although F would have been fine with me), SI2 Clarity (I made sure it was eye clean; I spent a good bit of time just searching for inclusions. I then put the stone under a scope and found the inclusions and looked back at my stone with my naked eye--I saw no inclusions--this let me keep costs down while increasing quality of other areas of the diamond; some people would choose otherwise), Caret weight filled itself in based on my budget, but I wanted around 1.25-1.33.

As for the GIA report, you would need to run a sarin report in order to obtain the crown and pavilion angles if you wanted to check your stone with the Gemapraiser or HCA software.

Good luck, and I'm sure others can advise you as well.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1057/v.cgi?stock=1064222&_s=1057&_p=abaz83&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=

This one is $3734 for pricescope people. Seems the same to me.

hoovillemd

Rough_Rock
Hello,

My name is Matt Dabney. I am from Charlottesville Va. Just to give you an idea of what you can get for $8000 here is the engagment ring I just purchased a week ago with a platinum setting.

Ring: Platinum 6 prong royal crown setting By Vatche ( you can find this ring at www.whiteflash.com)

Diamond (purchased from Biff McGuire of Harlan McGuire Jewelers. Phone#1-800-476-0124 just tell him Matt Dabney says hi)

Shape & Style: Round Brilliant (H&A)
Measurements: 6.49-6.55*3.99mm

Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Proportions: Ideal

Color Grade: AGS 0 (D)
Clarity Grade: AGS 4 (vs2)
Carat Weight: 1.035 cts
Fluorescence: medium blue

Specs:
Table: 56%
Depth: 61.2%
Crown Angle: 35.1
Pavillion Angle:40.8
Culet: 0%

On the Holloway Cut Adviser this diamond rated as follows:

Light Return: Excellent
Fire: Excellent
Scintillation: Excellent
Spread or
Diamond for weight: Very Good

My cost for everything was: $7200
This engagment ring also came with an apraisal.
If I can help you in any way just let me know.

Thanks,
Matt Dabney

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results