shape
carat
color
clarity

Please advise...

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got a large pink spinel today. I absolutely LOVE the cut, colour and sparkle factor. There are some visible inclusions, but they don't bother me. However, there is a small chip on what I think is called the girdle (still learning all the lingo). My jeweller thought this may cause an issue - if I bezel it, further damage may be caused during setting, and if I don't, it's more vulnerable when I wear it. I got a good deal on the stone, but still paid a fair amount of money for it. I already sent an email to the vendor indicating an intention to return it, because I'm worried about the chip. But this makes me sad. Keep it, or send it back?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Is the chip visible in the vendor photo?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's from one of the lapidaries, maybe he/she can polish it out for you, if the chip is small enough.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that I look, I think I can see it in the reflection of the stone in the vendor pic...Any particular reason you ask?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
NKOTB|1310682390|2969135 said:
Now that I look, I think I can see it in the reflection of the stone in the vendor pic...Any particular reason you ask?

Sometimes there is a question of whether the damage (chip) occurred before or after you bought the stone. In this case, it sounds as though the damage was there before, so I would think you'd have a good chance of returning it, if that is what you decide to do. Is this from a recent special sale, by any chance?

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was initially concerned that I had caused the chip, actually. I opened the gem box on my bed in case it fell, and in my excitement it did flip out on to the bed, but I was worried that the plastic lid box had somehow chipped the stone. I didn't really think that was possible, and my jeweller assured me that it was unlikely to be the case, given that spinel is harder than plastic. And yes, it may have come from a recent special sale. ;-)

I asked my jeweller about polishing it out - he said it may cause things to be uneven and start the domino effect, if you know what I mean. I could ask the cutter, though.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I have a fair idea of which stone you are talking about. Definitely ask the vendor about the possibility of polishing out the chip, although it may be that he didn't do that initially because of concerns about the inclusions. What actually bothers me more is that the chip wasn't referenced in the initial listing, IIRC. Do let us know what he says when you hear back from him.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
If it bothers you, I would return it.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He said it's "not a chip, but a "natural". It's a place where to fully clean up would mean the stone would have needed to get smaller. That is not affecting the integrity of the stone at all."

So, I will stare at the stone and mull it over for a day or two, much like kt with her new pink spinel.

Has anyone else had stones with "naturals" before? Is setting them one way over another recommended?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
It all depends on how big the natural is, where it's located, and whether or not it's going to bother you. It also sounds as though your jeweler thinks it does pose a risk for setting, so you might want to follow up on that before you make a final decision.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I followed up with my jeweller - he had initially presented two possibilities for what was there, but I could only remember one (I'm not getting much sleep these days). The one I couldn't remember was a natural. I think we can figure out a way to set it to minimize further damage/risk. The stone is so pretty, and I wouldn't be able to afford a flawless one of this size, so I think I will keep it. Thanks so much for the input!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Can you post a photo of it pretty please? :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results