shape
carat
color
clarity

please advise on this stone (yea or nay)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
thank You lorelie :) I really value your opinions...

We were able to look at it next to simular sized excellent cut GIA stones one slightly bigger and one slightly smaller. We really could see no difference. Maybe someone with a train eye would though. We could not. I am really phyched about that!!!

We also got to see it light up under lighting to see the SB fluore . That was awesome. I love knowing it can do that. that may sound wierd. But I do .......

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2009 9:36:16 AM
Author: lauralu
We also got to see it light up under lighting to see the SB fluore . That was awesome. I love knowing it can do that. that may sound wierd. But I do .......
Nope, I love that part of my stone too.:) A VSB. :D

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2009 9:39:19 AM
Author: Stone-cold11

Date: 5/13/2009 9:36:16 AM
Author: lauralu
Nope, I love that part of my stone too.:) A VSB. :D
Did you post some pics of it SC? I would love to see it!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2009 9:52:49 AM
Author: Lorelei
Nope. Never took a pic of it before I proposed, now it is with my fiancee and she is in another town, long distance relationship. Also I do not have a good camera to take the pic yet. So will be a while before I post the pics. A year or two down the road, I think, when I get my 2nd stone from Wink, another VSB, I will take the pic of the two together. :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2009 10:21:25 AM
Author: Stone-cold11

Date: 5/13/2009 9:52:49 AM
Author: Lorelei
Nope. Never took a pic of it before I proposed, now it is with my fiancee and she is in another town, long distance relationship. Also I do not have a good camera to take the pic yet. So will be a while before I post the pics. A year or two down the road, I think, when I get my 2nd stone from Wink, another VSB, I will take the pic of the two together. :)
Ok, that would be great to see them in the future when you can, especially if you can capture the fluorescence!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
yap, definitely going to try and capture the fluor.

Judah Gutwein

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Lauralu,

Congrats!

I do believe this is what some would call "a teachable moment" and particularly at the right time.

If you follow very recent threads, you will find much discussion regarding assessing a diamonds' cut and light performance online. It has been pointed out by the pros. that the the various tools and technologies are invaluable for allowing consumers to extrapolate based upon numbers, images and data, how the diamond will actually look and perform in real life (and with a high rate of accuracy).

At the same time, many of us tradespeople, prosumers, consumers and enthusiasts (in no particular order) have asserted that there is ultimately NO substitute for the human eye and that after all of the science and data has been registered, consumers will sometimes draw a specific conclusion in conflict with this information and based upon their physical inspection of the merchandise. Buying a diamond has many facets (literally and figuratively ..
emteeth.gif
), and these two observations are mutually independent and do not contradict each other.

It has been opined on this thread that this specific diamond would be at risk vis a vis its light performance and based on its 'painted' facets. The consumer was encouraged to therefore stay away from the stone which was sure to display "the kiss of death".

Lauralu, however, was willing to give this diamond a shot with a physical inspection and here is the result in her own words (previously posted on this thread):

------------------------------------------------------------------

..........."As we all know (and should remember) numbers only tell one story. Numbers can tell a story that does not exist even.

I have had it appraised and it is a ball of fire, no painting as was mentioned effecting this stone in any negative manner. Just pure fire and sparkle. It faces up slightly shy of 1.23. However, I can't see the difference, so I don't care!!! Whooooooooo Hooooooooooo

the inclusion cannot be picked up by the nekked eye by any stretch and does not effect it's performance one ounce. The sparkle and brilliance is awesome!

I am in love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Why the disconnect between the advice given and the resultant physical observation by both the consumer and the independent appraiser??

Was the advice given by a knowledgeable expert on this thread erroneous?

The answer is of course not!!

The statistical and scientific data regarding 'painting', is indeed commensurate with the advice given (although I'm not sure I would have used the term 'kiss of death' as I will explain below) and is important and most relevant for people who do not have the luxury of physicaly inspecting an individual diamond prior to purchase (this being the majority of cases with online purchases).

However, science, numbers and statistical majority, cannot possibly account for the nuances and subtleties of individual results, tastes and opinions. This is why I and others have previously asserted that (given the opportunity....and this being the salient point, of course) there is never a substitute for ones physical eyes/inspection, which may indeed flesh out finite nuances and subjective variables not quantified by a scientific metric. (...and therefore the reason I personally, would not have used the term "kiss of death" implying a fait accompli.)

This episode is a working case in point with respect to what has been discussed recently.

Namely, the fact that:

1. Scientific tools for evaluating diamond precision and light performance do a great job of filtering out the trash from the treasure.
2. Scientific tools for evaluating diamond precision and light performance are a treasure for online shoppers.
3. Scientific tools, never can and never will, displace the human eye and wasn't intended to do so.
4. Human beings ultimately wear diamonds, not 'numbers' or paper.
5. Humans are influenced by a host of factors non-related to statistical numbers and developed technologies.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Interesting post, Mr. Gutwein. I wouldn''t have had the guts to take it based on the available information, and I still wouldn''t have the guts to do it based on the happy result, but I guess some of us have different tolerances for risk, and ultimately have different goals. Congrats, OP! You got a very big diamond that is beautiful that you love! That''s what matters.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
Heres the thing Imdanny

I do not believe this has anything to do with guts, I believe this has to do with gathering information, ideas and opinions from real statistics, online sources, people in general and professionals. Evaluating all of this, taking with me what I believe is important, discarding the rest.

Trusting the Vender that I have done my research on, and not entered into this highly expensive transaction purely by guts, or blind uneducated faith. Trusting he, knowing my wants and needs in a stone was not just feeding me lines of crap like anyone who has done diamond research has encountered before in any given mall store.

Taking all of this into account. Than, knowing the return policy I could take advantage of if all of this proved to be "to good to be true." I had it appraised and found it to be exactly as it was represented by trusted vender. A stone, breaking the rules and performing unlike it''s scientific measurements insist it should.

I came to PS to learn and that I have!!!! I am grateful to everyone here who takes the time to post and help. When I think back to the day we first started looking in Mall stores at stones. Knowing nothing yet.....how they all looked so beautiful to me back than and so many sales people had so much information (misinformation as I now know)for me that said their stone was perfect. OMG if we had fallen hook line and sinker back than .....whewwwwwww

I feel very fortunate that we did not.......

Just needed to say that.......:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results