shape
carat
color
clarity

Please advise on this situation...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
I know this is probably blasphemy…but I need some advice regarding a diamond from a “mall” jeweler. I went back to them because I wanted to take advantage of their trade-in policy. My trade-in diamond was just an ordinary round .38 carat stone, for which they credited me $666. In my enthusiasm to upgrade my stone, I ended up settling for a stone that I neglected to thoroughly check out. Basically, I believed their sales pitch - and it looked good to me – but that was before I began educating myself on this website. That was 12 days ago. It has taken this amount of time to send the stone off to be set by their jeweler…twice coming back all askew – and this last time coming back with a stubby head in which the diamond sits crooked. I’m at the end of my rope trying to get perfection here and think I should call the whole thing off. Could I have someone’s opinion on whether the diamond itself was a bad or partially good/bad investment? How much better of a deal would I be able to get from an online purchase or even a purchase from an independent jeweler? I only have minimal specs to show, but if anything at all could be gleaned from this information, I would surely appreciate it.

GIA Certified
Round “Signature Cut” (8 extra facets)
.59 Carat
SI1 Clarity
G Color
Sarin Grade 1
61.4% Depth
58% Table
Polish – Very Good
Symmetry – Very Good
Faint Fluorescence
$2795 (before my trade-in)

What I do like about the stone is that the extra facets create numerous sparkles. I also want to see lots of white sparkle vs. rainbow sparkle, but now I don’t know which I am seeing. I’m so perplexed and would like to hear anybody’s comments.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is a big game and you are the major participant. The retail price on the G SI1 diamond you bought is quite a lot more than the prices listed right on Pricescope for very similar diamonds. The eight extra facets are not going to make any difference in visual appeal in that size stone in any way.

However, you probably got back the retail price you originally paid for the first diamond, $666, and that is a ton more than you could have dumped such a stone to a cash buyer for. Let's say you recovered $400 extra in the trading in and spent about $900 more on the diamond you bought as a replacement than you needed to spend. This leaves you out of pocket about $500 more by buying the diamond based on upgrading and trading in.

Is this bad? Some would say they love the idea of being allowed to trade up. Some would tell you it would be financially more sound to take a couple hundred for the old ring and spend $900 less for the new one. You could have saved quite a few hundred dollars by doing it yourself and not trading in. It all is a personal choice when you make yourself aware of the FACTS. Trade in policies are very tempting and easy. Being dollar smart sometimes takes more effort and education. Now that you know, you will probably act differently in the future.

It does not sound as if you have purchased a poor stone. It just seems to me you could have gotten a better one, or a larger one by doing more of the work on your own.

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
Well since you put it that way…Thank you so much, “oldminer,” for your candid perspective. I won’t waste more of anyone’s time asking about this.

What kind of a shlemiel am I? In my gut, I knew I was doing something genuinely stupid. I had a frail moment when I made this purchase, because it is out of character for me not to have all the facts before moving forward (I know you’re thinking “ya, right” – but I am usually a fanatic about details). I manufactured this romantic idea that the sales person was furnishing me with all the facts. I’m ashamed to admit it, but I bought into the fairy tale sentiment – and completely lost hold of my business sense. I started to feel empowered by what they were teaching me and didn’t comprehend that I was going to pay a premium for that feeling.

By and large, I never enjoy blowing money. What a coup is was for the store to convince me that now I “have a friend in the diamond business” (not their own slogan, but it still applies here). The store probably deserves making an extra $500 off of me but I don’t like to overpay for anything. I’m going to address the store’s management today, to see if I can reverse this deal. I have examined some former threads regarding what posture to take, so thank you all in advance for your wisdom.

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
Just FYI – for those of you who have noticed (or even give a care), I changed my identity. I’m not into playing games, just was trying to protect myself. I printed out some pricing comparisons from Pricescope Search and Compare to take with me when I went in to attempt a return of my purchase. The “manager,” per se, was not in - but the second-in-command got the ball rolling to reverse the transaction and to retrieve my trade in diamond. They offered to try and satisfy me one more time, to which I politely declined and said that under the circumstances I would prefer to conclude the matter with a return and full refund – and that was that. I did not coin any of these phases – they were suggested by some of you out there on a couple of other threads, and boy, am I glad I found them. I really grew today as a consumer and am very grateful for the guidance I have found on this website. Even though it’s not entirely over yet, I feel like I got out of this by the skin of my teeth. Thank you again, everyone.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Carmel, I'm glad that you are going to get your original diamond back. It seems like you've been unhappy since you purchased the second diamond and setting. Now you can take your time and make an informed decision about what you really want.

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
Whew! Ya, I’m glad that’s pretty much over. You better believe I’ll take my time this go ‘round. I’m reviewing a lot of posts right as I speak, and taking copious notes. After I actually start “shopping” online, what would you say is a reasonable amount of time to expect it will take to find something worthwhile that pleases me…1 month, 2 months, 6 months??

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
There is no reason that you cannot find one online right away...it could be a matter of days...I think if you want the cheapest prices out there, but don't plan on upgrading again, I'd go with dirtcheapdiamonds....if you would like full service and the option of trading in your stone in the future for 100% and no/$500 spending requirements (and they both carry ideal stones), I'd go with Goodoldgold, or Whiteflash. I don't know Wink's trade-in-policy...but he is another trusted vendor! !!!

See what a better deal you can get with price scope!!!!!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_56ct_f_vs2_h%26a.htm

Patty

Ideal_Rock
This one would save you money...to put into your setting! I'd go with an H in a minute...The sparkle will be great and the color should be too.

SuperbCert, .65c, H, SI1, $1675

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Whiteflash offers some great deals on their "Expert Selection" stones which may not meet their "A Cut Above" standards, but are still gorgeous stones. This page has a few in the $2000 price range:

Whiteflash Expert Selection

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
Patty – You are way too good to me! Already eager to toss some stones my way!?! After I returned that cursed rock to the mall, I immersed myself in “Diamonds101” homework and took three pages of notes. Then finally had to break for dinner with my husband. I almost forgot that he is the reason I want that sentimental chunk of coal on my finger! Just sat down to check out your suggestions right now (have to download the GemAdviser so I can take a peek at these beauties). I yammered all through dinner about the intricacies of diamonds and really elevated my husband’s interest – he caught on real quick and suggested we look for something bigger and better for me! Score for me! – But not in a materialistic, conceited way…more like a refined, academic way because when I finally find what I’m searching for, I can bask in knowing more than just “gee, that there diamond sure does look awful purdy.” It won’t be just about having a diamond…it will be about knowing what I have in that particular diamond. I feel like Helen Keller here. OK – make me stop!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/3/2004 3:02:14 AM Carmel wrote:

Patty – You are way too good to me! Already eager to toss some stones my way!?!

I feel like Helen Keller here. OK – make me stop!----------------

HeeHee!! Information overload. That's a good way of putting it!!
9.gif

Here's an easy way to look for very well cut diamonds:

http://www.pricescope.com/sift.asp

Just enter your color, clarity, and carat weight preferences. Poof!! You'll get a list of nice contenders.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results