shape
carat
color
clarity

Please advise on price and color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

composix

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody,

I was looking for some advice... I am about to purchase the following diamond:

Round Brilliant
Measurment: 7.75-7.8x4.79mm
Weight 1.75
Depth 61..6
Table 56
Girdle thin to medium faceted
Cutlet None
Polish VG
Symmetry vg
Clarity vvs2
Color G
Fluoresence None

Price 21,000

I am concerned that the color would be noticable....I have read many posts with diffrent opinions on the lowest color. The stone looks great and my GF will not care/notice but I want a quality diamond and I want tomake sure that this is a good price and that I am not scimping on color...any thoughts are greatly appreciated....FYI---I will have it mounted on a platinum solitare.....very simple/classic

THANKS!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope. I highly doubt you or your girlfriend would be able to detect color in a G unless, of course, one or both of you are very sensitive to color. If this is the case, I would drop the clarity to VS or even SI and go up in color. If a stone is eyeclean, it shouldn''t matter whether it''s SI, VS, VVS or Flawless. Good luck!

composix

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the welcome and the feedback....do you think that the price is in line?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would drop down in clarity. When you go with a stone that is VVS2 you are paying a lot for something you'll never see. You can drop the clarity to SI1, or SI2 (as long as it's eye clean) and save a bundle. G color is near colorless and you will not detect any color, IMHO.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
The advice you have received on color is good - as long as the diamond was graded by a reputable lab such as AGS or GIA. If graded by a softer lab there is the chance that it could be a color or two lower according to strict standards.

The appearance will also be influenced by how well cut the diamond is. Rounds are color-graded in the face-down position, viewed from the side. If the diamond has great light return it may 'face-up' more colorless than the grade it received at the lab. To that end, the depth and table percentages you have provided look good. If you have crown and pavilion angle information you can receive more input here about the quality of the cut.

It sounds like you have seen the diamond 'live,' in which case our input may be perfunctory. To answer the basic color question in terms of pedigree, a G from a reputable lab is a very respectable color.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the other posters, I would drop down in clarity and go up in color if you are unsure about a G. Visually you will have a colorless stone and see no difference at all when it comes to inclusions. Hubby and I looked at VVS stones but dropped down to a VS because of the price difference and the fact that what we couldn''t see in a VVS, we couldn''t see in a VS either, so why pay more? We would have considered SI1 if we had the time to inspect them, but unfortunately a window of 2 days wasn''t enough. Unless you and/or your girlfriend are color sensitive, G will be fine, although I have to say that I am color sensitive and notice the difference between colorless and a G. I''m just very sensitive to it, but you and your girlfriend may not be. I suggest you go to a store and look at the difference between colorless (D-F) and G stones and decide for yourselves what you''re happy with. GOOD LUCK!!!

composix

Rough_Rock
Thanks everybody....does the price that I am going to pay for this stone sound fair....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
price is good if its well cut, a little high for less well cut.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think you provided enough information to answer your question. If you provide the crown and pavillion angles and the lab it was graded by, you would be able to get a more accurate answer. Stones graded by GIA or AGS tend to fetch a higher price than EGL or other labs. If it an Ideal or Super Ideal cut that would also affect the price. There is no way of telling this from the information provided.

Also I agree that vvs2 is overkill. I have an SI2 that is perfectly eye clean. If you don''t want an SI you can easily go down to a VS2 and save on the cost without seeing any difference in the stone.

Did you look at the list of stones available on Pricescope to see how this price compares?

composix

Rough_Rock
Can someone tell me if flouresence is a good or bad thing? and what exactly is it...Thanks for all your help everyone...you guys are GREAT!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if the price is good, haven''t been shopping in a while but wow the specs sound great! My stone is lower than yours in color and clarity but since it is well cut and eye clean, I couldn''t be happier with it. And ya know what, this is weird but sometimes I feel like my platinum setting looks yellower than my diamond! I''d worry about APPEARANCE, CUT, SIZE, and PRICE, not color or clarity specs.

My jeweler told me that flourescence means it reflects faintly blue in certain lights, and while this is not a bad thing, it is better to have none.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Read the advanced tutorial here on ps to answer your floro question.
Knowledge-advanced tutorial-floro

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i''ll take an well cut G any day of the week.
36.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2005 7:10:57 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
i''ll take an well cut G any day of the week.
36.gif

yep -- I have a well cut E in my e-ring, just because we were very color paranoid. I ''m 99% sure I could have gone to a G without knowing the difference. I think G and in most cases H are eally very safe, smart value choices.

How much lower I could going without seeing it, I don''t know, but I do have a beautiful L, that I can see lots of color in. It just doesn''t offend me. Color is just that -- color. It''s often hard to see, but when you do see it, you really do need to see for yourself if you think that is a bad thing. Lots of people think there is something inherently bad about color. IMO, it''s just a mindset and a personal preference. Color will probably offend you if you think you shouldn''t see any. if you don''t mind seeing it, then it is no longer offensive. I love both my E for it''s whiteness, and my L for it''s beauty...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results