shape
carat
color
clarity

Please advise — issues with small emerald purchase

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all, I am dipping my toes into the CS pool and purchased a small AAA emerald from a vendor on the PS list. The listing described the stone as “rich dark green” and “very slightly included to eye clean.” The vendor had to slightly delay shipping because they said the emeralds in stock were not up to quality. When the package arrived my receipt was correct, but the authenticity paperwork said “tsavorite garnet.” The vendor said the paperwork was accidentally swapped, which is reasonable and not a huge concern to me. My main concern is that the stone appears much lighter than the listing photo and lighter than I expected for a AAA emerald.

Please advise. This purchase is starting to have red flags for me, but the vendor is recommended on this forum so I want to give the benefit of the doubt. Were my expectations unrealistic? Does this look like a AAA emerald? Can anyone recommend a trusted vendor for emeralds in the 4mm-6mm range? I am looking for an heirloom quality stone and I paid a premium for this one.

76D3D0E0-3AEC-4F41-913A-793702592BCC.jpeg E6960CEB-4825-47AC-B1BC-1A3F5C90C836.jpeg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't understand the part of your post where you say the vendor had to delay shipment because the emeralds in stock were not up to quality ... as a general rule, I buy a specific gemstone which a vendor has listed for sale, and that is the stone the vendor ships to me ... your post makes it sound like the vendor could choose any of this stock to fulfill your order, is that correct? It would be helpful if you would disclose the vendor.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I don't understand the part of your post where you say the vendor had to delay shipment because the emeralds in stock were not up to quality ... as a general rule, I buy a specific gemstone which a vendor has listed for sale, and that is the stone the vendor ships to me ... your post makes it sound like the vendor could choose any of this stock to fulfill your order, is that correct? It would be helpful if you would disclose the vendor.

Thank you for your response! I didn’t name the vendor to avoid making a negative remark in case it’s all my error. I wanted an emerald in a certain size range and everything I was finding was too large so I ordered from this listing with the understanding that it would not be the gem pictured but would be comparable in color and clarity.

https://www.africagems.com/calibrated-emerald-emerald-aaa.html

Edit: Of course I realize now that I should have asked for pictures of the exact stone before it was shipped. If I could go back in time I would do things differently, but I am just wondering what I should do from here. Return the stone and start over? Adjust my expectations because this is actually what a AAA emerald looks like?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I understand. I have bought from AfricaGems before, and while they sell specific stones, they also have these kinds of listings for stock calibrated-size gemstones and normally you wouldn't see beforehand the gem(s) they send in that category.

I do consider AfricaGems reputable and believe the authenticity paperwork was a mix-up.

That said, based on your photos above, I wouldn't regard that emerald as "rich dark emerald color" nor would I consider it "very slightly included to eye clean." It is light medium green in color; and while emeralds commonly have inclusions, this stone to me would more accurately be described as moderately included. I wouldn't consider it an emerald befitting AfricaGem's Grade AAA category.

It sounds like the stone doesn't meet your color requirement; if it were me, I'd return it on that basis.

If you like the stone for what it is, you could let AfricaGems know the emerald they sent does not meet the stated Grade AAA parameters but that you are willing to keep it if it was priced more accurately.

Emeralds are hard to purchase; green in particular is hard to judge on a monitor, and emeralds can be treated/dyed/etc. If you return and want to start your search over, maybe post your budget and prereqs, and see if PSers can offer up some options for you to consider.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I understand. I have bought from AfricaGems before, and while they sell specific stones, they also have these kinds of listings for stock calibrated-size gemstones and normally you wouldn't see beforehand the gem(s) they send in that category.

I do consider AfricaGems reputable and believe the authenticity paperwork was a mix-up.

That said, based on your photos above, I wouldn't regard that emerald as "rich dark emerald color" nor would I consider it "very slightly included to eye clean." It is light medium green in color; and while emeralds commonly have inclusions, this stone to me would more accurately be described as moderately included. I wouldn't consider it an emerald befitting AfricaGem's Grade AAA category.

It sounds like the stone doesn't meet your color requirement; if it were me, I'd return it on that basis.

If you like the stone for what it is, you could let AfricaGems know the emerald they sent does not meet the stated Grade AAA parameters but that you are willing to keep it if it was priced more accurately.

Emeralds are hard to purchase; green in particular is hard to judge on a monitor, and emeralds can be treated/dyed/etc. If you return and want to start your search over, maybe post your budget and prereqs, and see if PSers can offer up some options for you to consider.

Thank you so much! This is really helpful! They have a nice return policy so I think I will take your advice to return this stone and restart the search with some PS help.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Here is an article, hope it helps. https://www.gemsociety.org/article/emerald-quality-simplified/ I have read that for the type I (usually clear stones) VS clarity would be different than for the type III stones (usually quite included like emeralds). I mean emerald graded as VS will have visible inclusions.
From the article: These emeralds may have eye-visible white clouds. Some may have eye-visible black dots, too. Up to 30% of an AAA stone could be included, depending on the inclusion type. Although the table is usually clean, the stone’s sides may have more than a few inclusions.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed with the previous poster. Africa Gems sell calibrated stones that dont come with pics and are likely purchased from the vendor in bulk. I would return if you are unhappy

voce

Ideal_Rock
AAA varies from store to store, and you should not trust such a designation. If you want something darker, that would have to be more expensive than you can afford with your budget.

For example, I had oiled duck neck emeralds sourced for me for something like $3600/ct. So a pair of small stones still cost $1400, because they were about 0.4 ctw in total.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This. I have worked with Marc and I believe he is a high-integrity guy. His photos are generally straight from the Gem2000 (?) wholesaler website, which has very, uh, "generous" images. He will take it back and/or make anything right, imo.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
This. I have worked with Marc and I believe he is a high-integrity guy. His photos are generally straight from the Gem2000 (?) wholesaler website, which has very, uh, "generous" images. He will take it back and/or make anything right, imo.

Yes! This has been my experience as well, thank you for posting. He was very responsive and the return is already underway. I ordered another gem at the same time as the emerald and I am happy with that stone. I hesistated to name the company because I am not intending to give a negative review. I was seeking advice since I am somewhat new to colored stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results