shape
carat
color
clarity

Playing with Pearls

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I got out some of my loose pearls and colored gemstones today, and did some playing and some planning. I picked up these loose pearls at eBay auctions a couple of months ago, and am thinking about some jewelry projects. It was a great day for picture taking as well, so I snapped some pearly pics.

First up is one of the pearls in this box from eBay auctions. The center one in the first photo was described by the vendor as being a Silver Peacock. It is located in the lower right in the second photo. It and the goldens and the green Tahitians are all from PearlSociety. The small silver baroque pictured at the top of the photos is a Sea of Cortez from Agustus. The third photo is the vendor picture of the Silver Peacock.

Silver Peacock 1VendorPhoto.jpg

Pearls_1637.jpg

LoosePearls1630.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I am sure you had fun playing. Pearl Society has some really nice pearls. I love the silver peacock. His picture did not do the pearl justice. I love it in your pix, especially the first picture.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have a set of three round green zircons, and I'm thinking that two of them might go with my Silver Peacock to make a pearl ring with sidestones. When I first got this pearl I wasn't sure if it was worth the expense of setting it, but I'm finding the color to be quite attractive.

Pearl1774.jpg

Pearl1766.jpg

Pearl1803.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
A few more pictures. The huge amethyst is a Richard Homer eBay special that I got for less than his normal cutting fees. It makes some pretty reflections in my Silver Peacock.

Pearls1805.jpg

Pearls1814.jpg

Pearl1801.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
HHPmom|1299373326|2865732 said:
I am sure you had fun playing. Pearl Society has some really nice pearls. I love the silver peacock. His picture did not do the pearl justice. I love it in your pix, especially the first picture.
Thanks. One reason to get a few loose pearls is so I have something to play with. :)) Yes, I wasn't expecting much from this pearl, but I really am liking the play of colors that it has. It is half-drilled, so I'm thinking it could be made into a ring.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I recently purchased this German engineered stainless steel necklace chain. It really is nicely made. Maybe I can add some pearls to make it into a necklace. Or add the amethyst, or the amethyst with a pearl drop. :?:

Ammy1792.jpg

Ammy1791.jpg

Pearls1784.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
How about an amethyst, a green zircon and a pearl drop? :naughty:

o.k., I can't set the ammy or the zircon myself, so I went ahead and added a head pin and made a pearl pendant. This is a nice look and I may go back to it. I had to use the smaller Tahitian which was fully drilled, since the larger drop is half-drilled.

I'm on a roll, so I added more head pins and made more pearl drops. 8) BTW, the smaller silver baroques are leftovers from my recent pearl bracelet project. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-pearls-made-a-bracelet-and-bought-a-ring.156190/?hilit=agustus']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-pearls-made-a-bracelet-and-bought-a-ring.156190/?hilit=agustus[/URL]

Pearls1833.jpg

Pendant1824.jpg

Ammy1796.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the eye feast. The zircon would pair nicely with the silver peacock. I am on a pearl lust today. I bought some pearls from Pearl Society and have been extremely happy. I haven't looked at eBay for a while though. Must lurk soon. Love the vibrant green of the other two Tahitian pearls. Those pearls have the sharpest luster. The gold ones are really nice too. I like the one on the right side better for shape.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Next up are some necklace variations. First the 3 pearl version, then the 5 pearl version. Then I tried to lengthen the center drop by attaching the Sea of Cortez. This did not work out how I had it imagined, so I'm pretty sure it will not be staying.

6Pearls_1859.jpg

5Pearls1840.jpg

3Pearls1835.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
An eight pearl necklace, along with a neck shot.

This is where I ended today, but I'm pretty sure this won't be the final necklace configuration. Anyhow, it was fun, playing with pearls. :wavey:

8Pearls_1890.jpg

Necklace1873.jpg

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Flygirl you are such a bad influence!!! I must have a box of pearls now and some pliers and a chain... Hours of fun! :naughty:

I'm off to go order finding now hehe. Beautiful pearls and you are so creative.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
HHPmom|1299377211|2865763 said:
Thanks for the eye feast. The zircon would pair nicely with the silver peacock. I am on a pearl lust today. I bought some pearls from Pearl Society and have been extremely happy. I haven't looked at eBay for a while though. Must lurk soon. Love the vibrant green of the other two Tahitian pearls. Those pearls have the sharpest luster. The gold ones are really nice too. I like the one on the right side better for shape.
I agree that the green Tahitian I put in the center of the necklace is not nearly as nice as the other two. About all it has going for it is that it was fully drilled, so easier for me to "set". The golden on the right is much nicer, both in shape and color. The one on the left has some whitish rings and a less attractive shape. Yes, I was quite pleased with Pearl Society. I think I got more hits than misses. I was only bidding on a few of their less expensive auctions, so I'm particularly pleased with the Silver Peacock, and the Green Drop. I will probably end up springing to have them professionally set.

Glad you enjoyed the photos. I love your pearl pictures as well.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Treenbean|1299377871|2865777 said:
Flygirl you are such a bad influence!!! I must have a box of pearls now and some pliers and a chain... Hours of fun! :naughty:

I'm off to go order finding now hehe. Beautiful pearls and you are so creative.
Ha, ha, thanks, Treenbean! Most of my supplies are from my local Michaels craft store. I know my wire work is not particularly elegant, but take a look at the work on the etsy site. A lot of the wire work there is pretty simply done, too.

I'm happy to share. I'm not a great craftperson, but it is fun and pretty simple to do.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
OOOOOOH! :cheeky:

Droolworthy collection! Love all the colors, especially the rainbow silvers. Must get me some of those! :love:

My favorite combination is the 6 or 8 pearl necklace but without the Tahitian. I would use the Tahitians for earrings, but that's just me. I would do them on a gold-filled chain, but again, just me. A lot of online vendors sell the chain by the foot, mine was $7 a foot.

Love all these beauties! :appl:

You have a gorgeous collection Flygirl!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1299503223|2866525 said:
OOOOOOH! :cheeky:

Droolworthy collection! Love all the colors, especially the rainbow silvers. Must get me some of those! :love:

My favorite combination is the 6 or 8 pearl necklace but without the Tahitian. I would use the Tahitians for earrings, but that's just me. I would do them on a gold-filled chain, but again, just me. A lot of online vendors sell the chain by the foot, mine was $7 a foot.

Love all these beauties! :appl:

You have a gorgeous collection Flygirl!

Thanks for the comments, iLander. This was a test using what I had on hand, and I learned a lot.

I agree about the SS silver rainbow baroques. They are gorgeous. I'm really liking this color with a lot of my clothing. Seems to go with a lot of outfits. Maybe I can find a larger drop in that color for a centerpiece.

The chain will be replaced. It hangs much better if I shorten it in back by about an inch; I get a nicer, rounder drape. I'll have to take a look at gold-filled chain styles. I want about the same size links as I have here.

The Tahitian will go. I already have a couple of gorgeous Tahitian drops for earrings from DruzyDesigns, but I find the color gets lost in my hair. I wear my hair up more in the summer, so I'm thinking I will wear them more then.

I'll have to get some more supplies, and try another few iterations of this necklace. :)) I'm also thinking about attaching the drops directly to the chain once I'm pretty sure of the final design. That will be more secure than o-rings.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Today I played a bit more with this necklace. The chain has been shortened by an inch which gives a massive improvement to the drape. The center Tahitian drop is gone, and my silver Sea of Cortez takes that honor. The rest of the silver blue baroques are from Agustus on eBay and the two Goldens are from Pearl Society. I like how the bottoms of the pearls form a nice V-shape, which I find pleasing to my eye.

What I like best about wearing this piece is how nice the pearls feel against the skin. Truly awesome. :))

Focal_1924.jpg

Redesign1924.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Oh, gorgeous! :appl:

Yes, let's do this one! Totally, you've got my vote, that's the one!

Droolworthy! :cheeky: :cheeky:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Flygirl, I love it! You have one of my fave collections/sense of style on PS, I always love seeing what you're up to!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
The silver peacock pearl has been set into a ring with the green zircons. I requested a lotus type setting for the pearl, bezels for the zircons and a sterling setting. I think they did a lovely job. :appl:

RingonFinger_2090.jpg

Ring_2088.jpg

PearlRing_2086.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Next up is my new Tahitian bracelet which I strung up using eBay pearls from Chinese seller gem-585gold.

I purchased the small roundish Tahitian strand first, and they came fairly quickly and looked nice enough. So I looked for more pearls, and decided the small circle Tahitian strand should work. The circle strand arrived in the mail yesterday, and I put together this bracelet yesterday evening using white PowerPro 20 lb test line with double knots and a pretty sterling clasp set with a Tahitian pearl that I got from www.agrainofsand.com...

Bracelet_2078.jpg

gem-585goldCircleTahitians.jpg

gem-585goldGreenTahitians.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
A wrist shot of my new Tahitian bracelet, and photo of the bracelet with my new Tahitian and zircon ring, and finally, a shot with my Tahitian necklace from Sarah at kojimapearl. I had been wanting a bracelet to wear with Sarah's necklace, and I think these will go together just fine. The bracelet is greener and the necklace is more silver, but they are in the same pearl family and look nice together to me.

Tahitians_2098.jpg

RingandBracelet_2091.jpg

WristShot_2084.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
My favourites are the zircon and Tahitian ring, and the sea of cortez, gold SS and the silver blue akoyas? necklace. Especially the necklace.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I finished up a set of pink freshwater pearls for my son's girlfriend this evening. The pearls were ordered from Pearl Lunar on eBay a couple of years ago. I picked up the sterling silver findings for the earrings today at Intergem. Son says she likes the earrings long, so I put three pearls together. I also got lots more pearls at the Intergem show to play with in the future. :bigsmile:

Earrings_2111.jpg

Bracelet_2101.jpg

Set_2115.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow :shock: Can I come over to play with those?? :bigsmile: You have the best taste flygirl and all of them are wonderful!!

-A

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I think I have found my favorite kind of pearl. These are baroque South Sea pearls from eBay vendor Agustus from the Maluku Islands in Indonesia, and I love these pearls. I love the mix of colors from silvery white to silver to champagne to golden. I love the rich glow these pearls have. There is one shade of pale yellow pearl that glows pink in the sun.

I first made a bracelet with a batch of these pearls, then I decided to get some more. First up, my favorite pearl bracelet and the vendor photo of the batch of colorful pearls.

Bracelet1690.jpg

Bracelet1682.jpg

Baroque Set no logo.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I recently got a new job, and decided to celebrate with a necklace made from these pearls. I purchased this strand of pearls and combined them with a short strand I had already purchased. They combined together nicely to make a 22 inch strand, with a pretty pair of drop pearls left to make into earrings. One earring is slightly yellower than the other, but it's those mix of colors that I love about these pearls.

Maluku Starter Strand.jpg

SSStrand 1.jpg

NecklaceEarrings_2149.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Ear shot and a neck shot of my new pearl necklace. I knotted the necklace last evening using beige silk thread. The earrings are made with sterling silver hooks and headpins. I finally got round nose pliers, so my loops are not as angular as they used to be.

EarShot_2132.jpg

NeckShot_2145.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Close ups of these pretty pearls.

Pearls_2137.jpg

Maluku_2138.jpg

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Flygirl, you have been busy! Your newest additions are gorgeous with such a lovely sheen to the maluku pearls!!!!! I had to go check out there stuff, you are a bad influence :nono: I really like the kasumi pearls too. Nice work :appl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
redesign 1924 looks so "elizabethean" to me. i love how its simplicity AND how it looks on you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results