shape
carat
color
clarity

Platnum v. White Gold Appearance

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jpdoane

Rough_Rock
Ok,

THere are tons of threads on this, I know, but there doesn''t seem to be a consistant story. Given a well maintained platnum ring and a well maintained white gold ring, what are the diffreences in appearance? WG looks much shinier in the store to me, but this is brand new. Does this last (with regular platings)? To me also, platnum looked really dull/matte, but many people say that platnum looks brighter and shinier. Did I just see a couple of dud unpolished rings? Whats up? Anybody have a good feel for this as it seems that everybody has their own (contradictory) opinion.

Thanks
-Jon

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
Over time, white gold (if the plating on it is not kept up) will get a yellowish tinge to it, platinum will not. White gold will stay shiner longer than platinum...especially 950 with cobolt alloy. Platinum scratches easily, but you are't missing metal. It just kinda shifts. White gold will wear down faster than platinum. Platinum gets a burnished look to it within a few months of wear, white gold doesn't. White gold is much less expensive than platinum.

With either metal, chances are you are going to outgrow your/want another style ring before either metals wear down to the point of needed a repair on the back of the shank.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results