shape
carat
color
clarity

platnium-palladium-white gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

evaldez

Shiny_Rock
wow,
there are dozens of threads that go on an on, on this topic.. this is the hard part ! im now purchasing my setting and my mind wants platnium for its durability.and non yellow turning points...but my budget is also in affect...i also like wg because i like the shine it posseses..and is workable around my budget..but dont like the threads ive read about white gold turning yellow at some point...and here comes palladium i dont know where my budget falls into that catogory but.ive heard good and bad about that tooo.....hummmm what is there to do?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the vendor carries Pd, they will usually just be slightly more expensive than a WG setting but not a lot of jewelers are skilled with Pd so getting it resized might be a little more problematic if it is needed.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My rings are platinum, my husband's band is palladium. Not much difference in wear from what we can tell. Suckers need polishing pretty often, the platinum just weighs more.

My first setting for my engagement ring was white gold, I had to have it dipped once in the 4 years I had it (though honestly I should have done it twice) I did get it polished once, after 3 years of wearing it. It just didn't scratch the way the platinum/palladiums do.

I don't consider the 'don't get palladium because jewelers don't know how to work with it" arguement a good one, frankly (though SC was right that you should be aware that it could be an issue) because if I'm talking my rings in it's to the best jeweler I can find (and I research the heck out of them), so I wouldn't take my ring to be sized or worked on by an inferior or dishonest jeweler (by that I mean one who would tell me they could work with Palladium and couldn't) anyway. Of course, when I busted one of my melee in my new setting I sent it to AZ to get it done right by the designer of my ring-- so I'm a bit anal.

If you live in a decent metro area you should be able to find a jeweler who can work with palladium, and if you don't... you can always send it back to WF. If something happened to my husbands ring (which cannot be sized) I'd send it back to Scott Kay, I really would.

I think that if you can afford platinum, it's nice. But if you can't... I'd get palladium if the setting has pave etc. or white gold if it's a high polish solitare. The reason I say that is because the pave will hide the scratching of the palladium and keep the ring looking newer longer and you don't have to worry about dipping, but in a solitare with only high polish metal you would notice the scratching right away-- and if your body chemistry doesn't cause the metal to yellow quickly, you'll only need to get it dipped occassionally, and you want to take it to the jeweler that often anyway to check prongs and whatever.

Also I remember that you said your lady had skin issues, I 'think' the palladium is supposed be less prone to triggering reactions, like platinum.

evaldez

Shiny_Rock
thankyou gypsy for the woundeful advice... ok so if i was considering the legato sleek line solitare setting..since it has a large body of open space i should go with something with a higher polish like wg or palladium?... and if i was decideing to get the legato sleek pave i should get platnuim because the pave will hide the scratches better?.. did i get that right?

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been married for 13 yrs and never once have I had to dip my band (it''s WG)....All of my rings are WG and are all well over 10 yrs old
(except for my E-ring which is 4 yrs old and WG). I''ve always worn WG ever since I was a teenager (I''m 40) and never had a yellowing issue. Maybe on some ppl it may turn color down the line but that may be how it reacts to their skin (not sure why)..I just wanted to chime in and let you know that not all WG rings need to be dipped.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 5:40:26 AM
Author: evaldez
thankyou gypsy for the woundeful advice... ok so if i was considering the legato sleek line solitare setting..since it has a large body of open space i should go with something with a higher polish like wg or palladium?... and if i was decideing to get the legato sleek pave i should get platnuim because the pave will hide the scratches better?.. did i get that right?

Pd and Pt has about the same properties, (EDT: they hold stones better but lose polish surface easier) so you could get the Pd pave too if budget is a factor. WG may be better for the standard as it is usually a harder metal to scratch, whiter generally, especially if your lady's skin is not that reactive to rhodium, then replating is not that much or a problem. Has she worn WG ring before?

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
It might be body chemistry but I''ve had white gold yellow really fast on me. I had an e-ring dipped three times in one year and then said heck with that! I saved up for platinum and scrapped the other setting.

evaldez

Shiny_Rock
i was thinking palladium what do you guys think

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Although it's rare, people can have an allergic reaction to palladium. Also, be aware that its weight is in the 14kt yellow gold range (if that matters to you).

Other than the weight, I like it. I think it's a beautiful metal.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 7:23:18 AM
Author: Imdanny
Although it''s rare, people can have an allergic reaction to palladium. Also, be aware that its weight is in the 14kt yellow gold range (if that matters to you).

Other than the weight, I like it. I think it''s a beautiful metal.

Most of the people who have allergic reactions to palladium are also people who have *serious* reactions to nickel, etc from what my dermatologist tells me. So if you don''t have a bad reaction to nickel it''s unlikely you will have a sensitivity to palladium.

PortlandKelly

Rough_Rock
I''ve been thinking and doing a lot of research on this topic too. I''m going with palladium for my engagement ring. I like that it is light weight, platnium is too heavy for me. I used to wear my grandmother''s engagement/wedding set. The engagement ring was made out of platnium and the wedding ring was made out of palladium. I couldn''t tell the difference, in color or scratching, between the two metals.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/16/2009 8:31:22 AM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 2/16/2009 7:23:18 AM
Author: Imdanny
Although it''s rare, people can have an allergic reaction to palladium. Also, be aware that its weight is in the 14kt yellow gold range (if that matters to you).

Other than the weight, I like it. I think it''s a beautiful metal.

Most of the people who have allergic reactions to palladium are also people who have *serious* reactions to nickel, etc from what my dermatologist tells me. So if you don''t have a bad reaction to nickel it''s unlikely you will have a sensitivity to palladium.
Imdanny - were those people having a reaction to Palladium-WG perhaps? That''s a different situation than 950PD. It is typically alloyed with 5% ruthenium, so unlike Palladium-WG it''s entirely in the PGM; usually hypoallergenic.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
My wedding set is made of platinum 950. My RHR is made of palladium 950. There is no visual difference, except palladium retains its luster much longer.

Palladium Advantage:

Looks like platinum.
Has more luster than platinum.
In the platinum family.
Hypoallergenic
Pure metal like platinum, no need to replate.
Comparable to the price of gold.

Palladium Drawback:

Not platinum.
Not as popular as platinum or gold, so it may be a little harder to find.
It''s also lighter, so some people may or may not have a problem with that.
Depending on the type of alloy used and ratio, palladium may cast a little softer than platinum. Just something to think about.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have several WG pieces that have never needed to be dipped....and the ones that have have been after a longer period of time. I like the weight of platinum, but I don''t like how scratched it gets.

evaldez

Shiny_Rock
ok you guys if i decide on getting the wf legato sleek line soliatare setting to you think there''s too much open space if i happen to get it in platnium?.. just because of the patina and scratches...hi also found out that my gf''s necklace that she''s been wearing is wg..the chain and also pendant is wg and she wears it everyday...and it still looks beautiful as ever and it has been a year...do yiu think shes a good candidate for wg.. the thing i wanted to question was...is it not turning yellow because its on her neck area and really no wear or tear going on as to wearing a wg ring that you use everyday and put it through everyday wear or tear..?....im just trying to get my last min pointers because..i can afford the wf legato sleek line solitare setting in platnium...but mhy first choice would be the sleek line legato with pave..but my budget only can get me wg on that one unless wf lets me know that they make it in palladium and its a 100 more than i can get the legato pave ring!! what do you guys think...

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMO, I think WG looks like a good option for your gf, maybe get a Pt head for the main stone for better security. Pd with pave if still in budget is the best course.

jennalyns

Shiny_Rock
Just to chime in, I''m allergic to palladium. Not palladium white gold as mentioned above, but 950 palladium. I haven''t had a reaction to nickel, I wear white gold all the time, although I wear thru rhodium really quickly. I wore a palladium band for 7 months, everyday, and gradually started getting a reaction to it in the past couple of months. I had been taking it off after a few hours since it would make my finger itch, but I decided to leave it on for 48 hours last week to make sure it was really the ring and not just in my head. I got a major, blistered rash that is still not completely healed 5 days later. I did some research in medical journals, and apparently it''s a rare allergy but not unheard of, and people can be allergic to just palladium and not nickel. Apparently the reaction took awhile to show up since I''d never been exposed to it before. I have no trouble with platinum, and this surprised me because I don''t really have allergies or sensitive skin. I loved the way the palladium looked and held up to wear, it patina-ed very similar to my plat, I just can''t wear it, unfortunately.

For the white gold, I do have a pendant from WF that''s 14k white gold, I have had it for almost five years and it''s one of my few pieces that has never turned yellow, and when I first got it I didn''t take it off for almost two years. :) If she wears white gold with no problem, I would suggest that, In my experience their metals/workmanship are very high quality, no matter which you choose!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You''re right Jenn, allergy to a PGM is rare but any allergy can be developed. When such a reaction shows up it''s best to first investigate a possible reaction to cleaning solution, ammonia, soap or moisture trapped between the ring and finger...as I am sure you did when you began experiencing yours.

For anyone unsure, you can try painting the inside and sides of the band with clear nail polish to seal off the metal from the finger. If the irritation goes away you have verified the cause.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
evaldez... If WF can do the Legato Pave in palladium in budget, that would be my choice. If they can''t I would do it in WG with a platium head (if they will do that in budget).

If you want the sleek line legato (no pave) then I would go with WG is she''s nitpicky and notices flaws easily, if she doesn''t... go with whatever metal you want.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry, John. I don't know. These were recent Pricescope posts. I didn't ask about the alloy. I really should have.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results