shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone said to me they thought platinum looked just like stainless steel, does anyone else feel like this?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
In a sense, yes. Not that white unplated gold looks much different. And plated white gold looks like chrome- or nickel-plated stainless steel.

Then again, a synthetic sapphire looks exactly the same as a natural one.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. I don''t think they look alike at all personally...

MisterG

Rough_Rock
I think that''s an odd comparison. Platinum is a rare and precious metal... I think you can definitely tell the difference!

I''m looking at settings for an engagement ring right now and I''m learning a lot about platinum, so I just thought I''d add my two cents.

Whoever said that would be easy to please... a stainless steel ring? I guess for me that would be like buying a cz... perhaps some people wouldn''t be able to tell the difference... but at the end of the day, you''re wearing an imitation diamond.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe I'm just a dummy
shrug1.gif
but my 2mm stainless steel (well, surgical steel, not sure there's a difference in appearance) band looks IDENTICAL to my freshly-polished platinum e-ring.

They feel different to me... but they look exactly the same. Of course they wear differently... platinum gets the wonderful patina which I love, and my steel band does not. I don't think that they are the same in all important ways, but I do think they [/i]look[/i] the same.

To me, anyway.

Here's my plat e-ring next to the 2mm surgical steel band:

1.9mmeringwith2mmweddingband.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woah, Musey, I would have never guessed the band is SS.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Most people confuse appearance with feel, and they think of platinum as highly polished and stainless steel as having a "workmanlike" finish. But steel takes a nice polish and the tone of grey is almost identical to platinum.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
No, no, no. Go look at it in real life. My JLC was made of stainless steel. My Rolex is made of stainless steel. Platinum does not look much like stainless steel at all. Stainless steel shines because of chromium in the alloy. Chrome and platinum do not look like each other. Honestly, no.

Edit: I see other people voted the other way about their feelings! They look completely different to me.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone who replied. I suppose the weight of platinum is different and like someone said it is a precious metal and not stainless steel in the same way a cz is not a diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results