shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum wedding bands - bending?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Squirtsmine

Rough_Rock
Hey all.

Last year my husband and I purchased two wedding bands made of platinum. They are a .5 carat each. We bought them from a nationwide chain. I was sold these rings on the basis that they will not bend and warp the way gold will. However these rings bend on my hand. I can bend them with my fingers. I feel this is wrong. I have had a few other jewelers tell me this is wrong and that they are defective.

So my question is this: Is there a test to prove if the rings are really platinum? As they do not seem to be.

Also does anyone else have any other opinions on platinum and bending?

thanks,
Katie
Escondido, CA:loopy:

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Platinum can be alloyed to be very hard, soft, springy, malleable....Take your pick. You may indeed have platinum wedding rings that were either made too thin, too soft or maybe even both.

You could have silver rings instrad of platinum, although that would be a different sort of problem.

Platinum can readily be tested by someone who knows how. There are many people out on the West coast who know exactly how to do this.

A properly made wedding ring ought to be reasonably durable for an entire lifetime....

Squirtsmine

Rough_Rock
Could you give me a suggestion how I find someone who can test it for me? I am in the greater San Diego area.

It is stamped as PT950 which from my reading on the net was indicated to be good(better than pure platinum for durability). I am however thinking that perhaps the rings were made too thin and that is why they bend.

They were originally priced at 699, on sale during the summer for 449 - perhaps I should have been more suspicious. However, my father was the one who bought jewelry and he passed away in '99 so being without his expertise, I am afraid I might have missed something important about this project.

Thanks for your help.
Katie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results