shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum vs white gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgrading_finally

Rough_Rock
I know this topic has been brought up before, but for 14K.

What about 18K?

I know that someone was promoting 19K gold, but custom only.

So is the next best of both worlds (price/maintainability/durability) 18K white gold?

What do you think?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I think the same issues still apply. If you get white gold, insist on a palladium (or silver) alloy with a platinum head (and don't take the ring into the pool!). For everyday wear, I'm sure the white gold would hold up as well, but platinum just gives an extra oomph of assurance.

I opted for white gold due to price as well, and don't really regret it. My sister has a vintage white gold ring from the 30s, that I suspect is a silver alloy, and it looks almost as good as it must have looked new. If you care this much, I'd just make sure you don't get the usual nickel alloy that has to be rhodium-plated.

Beith

Rough_Rock
Some people get allegeric reactions from 14 or 18 kt gold. I was alright with them in younger days. As I get older, I guess my immune system has been going south, I am developing more and more severe reactions to them. Now I can only wear yellow gold continuously for a couple of hours and white gold for a couple of MINUTES before bumps and rashes appear on my finger. I am beginning to reset some of my favorite old rings to Platinum.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
18k is definitely preferable to 14k gold, but platinum is still king in our book!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results