shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum vs White Gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcarrey4

Rough_Rock
What''s everyone''s opinion?

I was looking at white gold vs platinum on the internet jewelers, and it seems to be a 400% hike in price for platinum, but my local hole-in-the-wall is more like 150% instead. (Which is why I''m most likly buying from them)

I definitely think the 150% is worth it, but what''s wth the internet pricing, and if I hadn''t found this place, would it have been worth it?

Is there any risk of the diamond coming loose since white gold is, on average, stronger than platinum?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer platinum for an e-ring but there are pros and cons to either one. type in White gold and platinum in the search box and you will see a ton of old threads. I pretty sure there is even a few polls on here
1.gif

ETA: I think WG is just as safe. i've heard the arguement that if you have a 4 prong ring a plat. prong is more likely to bend holding on to the stone where WG would be more likely to break and the stone could go flying. Set it in 6 prongs and you'd be fine either way.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

DBM

Shiny_Rock
are the prices of the internet and your jeweler around the same for White Gold? or is the Gold by your jeweler more expensive anyway either because it''s heavier, 18K, or just more expensive because it''s retail?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing I can think of is that your jeweler has had his stock a long time before the price of platinum spiked. I have found setting prices to be consistently priced online and in stores. It''s the diamonds that are less online. I recently got a new setting from a local jeweler and the setting was double in platinum. I went with the white gold since there are pros and cons to both metals. If I were going with platinum, though, I''d prefer the 90/10 kind that Mark Morrell uses since it is harder and doesn''t scratch as much as the 95/5. And my setting did not come in that platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results