shape
carat
color
clarity

platinum vs. white gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bsacattak

Rough_Rock
I am aware that platinum costs more but as far as looks go, is it true that white gold typically shines more than platinum... I am wondering if I should go with white gold vs. platinum and trying to get a bigger stone...I am shooting for 1.25-1.33 round solitare in a 4 prong tiffany style setting

I have also been told that white gold maintains its shine better than platinum...any thoughts:wink2:

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
I prefer white gold to plat b/c it is much lighter.

However, they do turn yellowish with wear and will need to be rhodiumed.

To me, PLAT is dull and it scratches very easily. I also do not think that it is worth all that x-tra $$$$.

Kevin Collins

Rough_Rock
My timing is amazing.....for you anyway. I just came from a very reputable dealer as I was viewing my first Lazare. After being dazzled by the rock, the conversation turned to the setting. He gave me what I believed was some solid advice. He showed me some unpolsihed white gold and platinum side-by-side. The white gold was definitely whiter. He also claimed that the platinum would look more "grey" over time, and the white gold would stay whiter.

He had a nice selection of both metals, and I was prepared to spend more $$ on the platinum. Other interesting advice he issued was about the crown. He claims that a good crown starts as one piece of metal and is "single struck," stay away from forged. He also said that quality crowns are tumbled in a slurry to actually polish the inner prongs. I could clearly see what he was talking about.

I'm still learning about diamonds, but I was blessed with amazinly good vision (20/12).....even at 36!

Hope this helps. Now if you could just help me buy the right diamond for the perfect girl!

Good Luck

Kev

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/13/2002 7:53:40 PM

Now if you could just help me buy the right diamond for the perfect girl!

Good Luck

Kev

----------------

Finding the perfect girl 9/10th of diamond buying! Your jeweler is correct about settings and the single die struck. I have been told that some white gold will display a yellow cast down the road. My first ring was yellow gold band and white head. It was quite nice and the yellow gold retained a nice color. My 20th anniv ering is platinum. Platinum will take on a very mellow look from wear. I personally like the natural aging of the metals. After all, it's the diamond that is the only thing needing to sparkel!

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results