shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum vs Palladium

rockcandymelts

Rough_Rock
Hi! Future FI and I are getting ready to have an engagement ring custom made. It'll look similar to the below picture when all is said and done. We're currently trying to decide on which (white) metal to use. White gold is out because I have a nickel allergy and don't like the idea of losing metal or having to rhodium dip it periodically, which leaves us with platinum and palladium. The weight of the ring isn't terribly important to me, but I'm hoping for something durable, naturally white, and scratch resistant (the patina look isn't my favorite). Obviously, the price is lower for palladium, but we'd be willing to pay for the platinum upgrade if there are enough benefits.

Which would you choose? Platinum or palladium? If platinum, which alloy might be best?

I tried running a search for palladium rings, but the most relevant results were quite old.

Thanks! :)

sylvie_example.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely platinum for fine jewelry. The two hardest alloys are 95% platinum and 5% ruthenium or 90% platinum and 10% iridium. Stick with those two. Platinum can be polished to new condition without losing metal.

rockcandymelts

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I'll run a few searches, but do you have a recommendation between the two? Is one more resistant to scratching than the other? I'm assuming that they're roughly the same in terms of color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results