shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum vs. 18k WG?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GiGi

Rough_Rock
Hello folks!

I was qoted on a semi-mount platinum setting that is 5.5 grams for $700. I asked how much they charge for the same mounting style but changing the band to 18K WH and keep the center stone basket-heading at platinum, and the price drops to $610.

Would you please tell me which is a better value? I read a lot about both medals turning yellow/gray... with time. I prefer not to fuss about replating my ring every year. Which is a "better deal" money-wise and look-wise?

Thanks in advance! GiGi

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
I don't think one would replate a solid gold ring. Get whichever you like the color of. Platinum normally costs more than gold.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
Please ignore my last post. I cannot get the editing feature of this forum to work. I meant to say this:

Get whichever you like the color of. Platinum normally costs more than gold. It seems like at those prices the platinum is a better value if you consider the metal content to be the "ring" but since the price is also labor/marketing then they are probably equal value.

biscuit

Rough_Rock
Hi GiGi!

I went through the same process of trying to decide Wg or Platinum, and it was a hard one. I'll try to tell you what I ran into...maybe the experts will back me up...never know. :)

Platinum, for one, is a stronger metal...that's probably why it costs more. It is less likely to wear thin from cleanings and just plain usage. But, I was told by one jeweler that at the typical thinness of prongs for a setting, both metals are about as strong (because the metal's soooo thin), so the risk of losing the rock due to the weakness of prongs is about the same in both metals.

Yes, WG can turn yellowish depending on the alloy you get, and it can be replated with Rhodium to get the white look again. Platinum looks a bit grey, and everyone says it loses it's shine much quicker, giving it an almost pewter look.

It's interesting that your jeweler quoted you such a close price for WG...when I was doing my search, Platinum almost always cost about double what WG cost. If you're interested in WG, I'd consider a different jeweler...or perhaps they're giving you a great price on the platinum?

In the end, I chose WG because I liked knowing the shine might stick around, plus I prefer a warmer look to metals...I'd rather it be a warmer white than an icy cold gray. Then again, if my diamond was a D color, I might want the icy cold metal for the icy cold rock. Hope that helps...have fun!!! :praise:

GiGi

Rough_Rock
Thaks guys! So from what I am hearing, the color change to Yellowish in WG and Grayish to paltinum is unavoidable. If I can indeed get a great deal on platinum and plate it with rodium every 2 years or so, isn't that enough to keep it shiny all the time as well? Thanks!

biscuit

Rough_Rock
Hi GiGi!

As far as I know, one would only Rhodium plate White Gold. I've never seen any info about plating platinum. I'd ask some people that have platinum rings, but perhaps a good cleaning and buffing will be all it takes to get it shiny again. As for the gray-ness, that's just the way the metal looks...I'm not sure you can change that. Check out the different metals and see which one you like better...especially check them out on people's fingers...that way you'll see what the different metals look like with time and wear. Hope that helps!!

:praise:

BigLou

Rough_Rock
This may help,

WG will yellow over time. Most people call this "warming." Platinum will mat or "gray." WG will be easier to buff back to the original shine but platinum will probably never be buffed back to the original shine like when it was first bought. Also, WG (and gold in general) loses a thin strand of metal when it is scratched. Like a shaving. Platinum does not do this. The platinum actually "grooves." The platinum is displaced and in essence changes the structure of the ring. Hope I helped.

legolas

Rough_Rock
so far people have been talking about the look, or quality of platinum as a menas of deciding which metal to go with. however the one major advantage of platinum is this. platinum acts as a catalyst for the reaction of natural gas in air, so if you drop your ring into a cruicable filled with natural gas and air it will explode :angryfire: !!! now i ask, can a gold ring do that?

GiGi

Rough_Rock
You lost me there..

legolas

Rough_Rock
the platinum will reduce the amount of energy needed to make the gas ignite, so when it combines with the oxygen in the air the gas will burn. without the platinum the energy required to ignite the gass is more than what is present in a room at 20 degrees C

Gina

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone~

I have a 14K yellow gold, 2KW wedding set with princess cut stones. After my engagement in 1995, platinum and white gold soon became the craze!! I like it so mcuh better than my yellow gold setting. After reading comments on your forum, I am wondering if I could possibly do something to make a setting lighter gold or white? is that possible? Would you not recommend it?

biscuit

Rough_Rock
Hi All!

BigLou - Great post! Thanks!

legolas - I'm thinking that you need to lay off the natural gas...or maybe the Natural Ice.;)) But now that you mention it, I have heard of quite a few people having to have their fingers reattached due to their exploding engagement rings (lol). I never knew why until now...

Gina - Rhodium eventually wears off the ring with everyday wear and with cleanings...that's why people tend to get their rings plated every year or two. I'm thinking that when the Rhodium wears off a white gold base, it won't be that noticable. But if you were to plate a yellow gold base, the process of it wearing off would probably look really bad. It'd come off in patches.

Ever think of getting your rocks reset?? White Gold Solitaire settings can be found for less than $150. Just a thought.:praise:

Snufkin

Rough_Rock
I got the beautiful platinum setting (you can see the pic I posted earlier under "Finally! This is my ring!!!") The ring weighs a little over 6 grams and cost me a little over $300. Even though it's Pt900, I love the feeling of weight. Platinum is a very dense metal. That ring weighs as much as her thick white-gold graduation ring, which she can't wear anymore because of her nickle allergy. White gold is usually plated with "Palladium" and after a year or so it eventually wear off. To my eyes platinum has a darker sheen compare to palladium - almost like the color of marcury - and looks very attractive in simple design.

Before you get her a white-gold ring, make sure that she doesn't have the "nickle allergy." It's quite common. Exactly year after she started wearing her WG gradualtion ring, her finger started breaking out. (She can't wear the watch that I gave her anymore, either...)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results