shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum vs 18k: looks different? feels different?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mikester

Rough_Rock
Hello I have been looking at purchasing an engagement ring for my girlfriend. At Blue Nile, I have found they have many beautiful settings but the choices do seem a little overwhelming. By grace of God I have found to really click with the solitaire Ridged Contour setting. It is very nice.

Here is the 18k White Gold version:
http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=5224&filter_id=1

Here is the Platinum version:
http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=356&page=2&show_all_pages=0&filter_id=1&col=1&row=1&pos=1&set_shape=

I really like the Ridged Contour setting but I was just wondering how much better Platinum is over the 18k White Gold? I just don''t want the material to feel "cheap" by any account, if the White Gold feels very high quality still then I would opt for that at a slight savings.

Thoughts? Thanks!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Except for those thin, lightweight settings that bend easily, good gold and plat settings don''t feel "cheap." They just feel...what they are. If she believes platinum is "better" than gold because 95% pure is better than 75% pure, or that heavier is better, then get the plat. Otherwise, it''s a matter of opinion whether gold or platinum is better.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
*Most of my topic has been removed. If someone could let me know why I would make sure I don't make the same mistake twice.*

Except for those thin, lightweight settings that bend easily, good gold and plat settings don't feel "cheap"

How can you tell which settings will be bendy and thin if you are buying online? I have seen a setting I like on WF and its Maisie

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie,

I meant costume jewelry grade pieces.

But, yes, you can''t tell if you''re buying online...

After a critical mass, more mass=/=more quality.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Was I not allowed to post that link for the setting I like? Why did what I wrote disappear?

sparkel

Shiny_Rock
Mikester,

Platinum in terms of weight I find feels much heavier than white gold. I personally like the weight of platinum in a ring. Platinum will develop a patina over time, meaning that the finish will begin an aged look through wear. I understand that they can polish it though to keep it fairly shiny. White gold has to be replated (for me often because I am hard on my rings) but the cost is usually around 20-30 $ depending on where you live. In terms of the look of the two side by side I have a very difficult time telling them apart but perhaps others disagree. Maybe for piece of mind you could just go browse through a local jewler and ask to see a platinum ring and a white gold ring and see what you think. You may have to go to a place other than a mall jewler though to make an adequate comparison. Hope that helps,
Rebecca

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
You said there is "slight savings" for white gold. If cost is a factor for you, if savings is only slight, I''d still opt for platinum. I was also getting ready to write what Rebecca was saying though - noticeable difference in heft in a platinum piece due to density difference between the materials, which I prefer.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had white gold for 6 years. I wanted platnium if anything was ever to happen to my ring. To make a long story short I ended up with a platnium ring.

The reason I love platnium is that you do not need to get it plated. White gold starts to look less silvery and a little more yellow after a few years. It think it get yellower because of cleaning the ring and wear. Just my 2 cents. To some people there white gold looks and stays white. My dad has a white gold ring that is very white after 70 yrs.

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve never had platinum, but I love my white gold. I''ve not had a problem with it turning yellow yet either. But, I have a friend who does have that issue. You''re going to either deal with scratches in platinum or possible rhodium dipping in white gold.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are various settings in Platinum on the WF website. Why are some cheaper than others. I mean the ones without diamonds in them. Are they just more heavy which means using more platinum or some other reason? I really don''t know if I am supposed to as specific questions about WF here as my last post was half deleted.

Thanks

Maisie

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 1:01:24 PM
Author: Maisiebelle
There are various settings in Platinum on the WF website. Why are some cheaper than others. I mean the ones without diamonds in them. Are they just more heavy which means using more platinum or some other reason? I really don't know if I am supposed to as specific questions about WF here as my last post was half deleted.

Thanks

Maisie

Hi Maise,

No idea about your prior post; I didn't see it. You can use the "Msg Admin" button at the top right of RockyTalky to contact PS.

Simply put, yes, heavier settings command higher prices. There is more to it, of course. In case you're interested, the price of a setting (before gemstones) depends on the type of alloy and how much is needed, but the equipment used, laborer skill set and time to finish are also factors.For example, casting alloys for 18K gold and nickel WG are in the upper $20s per dwt right now. Palladium is mid $30s and common platinum alloys are in the high $50s.However, a palladium setting will sell for nearly the same as a duplicate platinum setting.

Why?Because, in addition to time requirements, palladium and platinum both melt at higher temperatures than gold. They require different equipment, different processes and specialized labor skills - both casting and at the bench. Those things influence final product pricing. Settings with gemstones included also require benchwork & setting, not to mention the gemstones themselves.
2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your reply John.

So to clarify, a setting on your site for $750 for example won''t be of a lesser quality as such - more just not such a heavy setting and therefore less Platinum? (You know me - I am the Queen of stupid questions lol).

I suppose I am trying to work out which would be best for me if I am going to try to keep the same setting after I start upgrading my diamond. Would I be better off buying a more substantial setting or will the lower end of the price scale be just as good value?
21.gif

Maisie

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 1:46:44 PM
Author: Maisiebelle
Thanks for your reply John.

So to clarify, a setting on your site for $750 for example won't be of a lesser quality as such - more just not such a heavy setting and therefore less Platinum? (You know me - I am the Queen of stupid questions lol).

I suppose I am trying to work out which would be best for me if I am going to try to keep the same setting after I start upgrading my diamond. Would I be better off buying a more substantial setting or will the lower end of the price scale be just as good value?
21.gif

Maisie
Certainly not lesser quality Maise. All of our platinum is 95% plat content by weight, whether it's a delicate Tiffany-style solitaire or a massive finger-anchor festooned with gemmys. Most reputable sellers in the USA use either 90% or 95% platinum alloyed by weight, depending on the effect desired and craftsman preference.

If you like the delicate look it's no problem. Some people love dainty bands with ever-larger and larger diamonds (you know who you are).
3.gif
You can keep the setting but the head will need to be upgraded if you go up to the next mm size range.

Not stupid questions at all Maise: If you want to be the Queen of SQ I'm afraid you'll have to 'dumb it down' a bit.
2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not stupid questions at all Maise: If you want to be the Queen of SQ I''m afraid you''ll have to ''dumb it down'' a bit.
2.gif

Ah you are too kind! lol..... bless you!

Thank you for the answers!
9.gif

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
I just read somewhere that there are 32 shades of white alloys divided into 3 grades.
Grade 1 which numbers 1-19 do not require rhodium plating.
Rhodium scores a 7 on this scale.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice article on the metals, John!

The white gold setting is $300 and the platinum is $825. Then the wedding band will have to be the same metal with a corresponding price difference.

I think if you are certain that this is a setting she''ll wear for the rest of her life, then consider the platinum. I recently got new rings but opted for 18k white gold because I was not sure I''d wouldn''t replace the settings at some point and didn''t want to waste too much money. And I will tell you that my old rings were gold and lasted just fine for 30 years, so I really feel that either is just fine unless one is very rough on their rings.

mikester

Rough_Rock
Well it''s just an engagement ring so doesn''t this mean she''ll wear it until the wedding? So, perhaps 6 months to a year, max?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2007 5:57:17 PM
Author: mikester
Well it''s just an engagement ring so doesn''t this mean she''ll wear it until the wedding? So, perhaps 6 months to a year, max?
More like the rest of her life. For most women, it is their most expensive piece of jewelry.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will be wearing mine for life. I will cherish it!
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why would she not wear it after the wedding?
33.gif

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 6:27:55 PM
Author: JulieN

More like the rest of her life. For most women, it is their most expensive piece of jewelry.
I agree with JulieN... I wear mine everyday.. and after I get marry, I still wear it everyday.... And it''s the most expensive piece on me right now...

mikester

Rough_Rock
oops! I have to admit I didn''t know that after the wedding ladies wear BOTH engagement and wedding rings :)

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
It actually makes more sense to me that a woman would only wear an engagement ring until she''s married and then a wedding band, because she''s not engaged anymore. However, with e-rings costing an average of 4K, it would be a waste.

Anything goes. Wear it forever, switch over to an eternity band (aren''t a lot of celebrities doing this?), switch to a plain band, wear it on the right hand, trade it in for an upgrade, switch over to an anniversary ring, turn it into a pendant, ect.

If I know I''m going to wear a ring every day or very close to it, it has to be platinum. My local jeweler charges a mint for replating and just the idea of having to have it re-dipped drives me batty. I would want any diamond piece I acquire to be platinum. I love white gold for occasional pieces. White gold isn''t going to feel cheap, but I do think it''s less practical.

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
To be honest it really is such a personal preference maybe just have a friend or you take her into a mall jeweler and try on both WG and PT and see which she prefers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results