shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum Setting with White Gold Prongs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamonddumb

Rough_Rock
While at a B&M jeweler this weekend the salesperson told me all of their platinum setting have white gold prongs. They said white gold prongs are not as brittle as platinum and thus won't break as easily. Not sure if this logic make sense, I thought platinum was a stronger metal? Should I demand platinum prongs or are white gold prongs OK. I am paying a lot for the diamond and the last thing I want is the stone to fall out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The salesperson is incorrect. White gold is more brittle than platinum, not too mention having more problems with defective settings having porosity or dust in the castings (although a relatively small percentage compared to all white gold settings made).

White gold can "snap", while platinum "gives". Between a strong force and the two reactions, you're better off with platinum, a more durable metal. I've known more than a couple people who have lost their diamond out of a white gold setting, but none (that I can remember) losing it out of a platinum setting.

I would insist on a platinum setting. It costs jeweler's about 4 times as much as a white gold setting, which is why a lot of jewelers stick with white gold. See if you can get them to throw in the platinum setting at no extra charge as a "deal closer".

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
My sister destroyed her PLAT setting with everday wear.
My White Gold setting is holding up just fine.
Both rings are the same age.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results