shape
carat
color
clarity

---------------------Platinum setting questions---------------------

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TigerWoods

Rough_Rock
3 questions:

Why does it take "a couple of weeks" to make a setting and mount the stone?
I''m sure the quality of workmanship is related to how much time is spent on it, but is 2 weeks necessary?

How is a diamond set or un-set in a 6-prong ring? Are you supposed to bend the prongs out? How do they do it?

And finally, is a "comfort fit" that much more comfy than a regular fit? If so, why doesn''t Tiffany use "comfort fit" in their settings?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe they squeeze the prongs together sideways to bring them in. The prong heads usually have to be cut to fit the girdle of the stone also.

I once had a ring made with platinum prongs and it took 5 weeks, this was a chain store and I was quoted four weeks until I said I wanted platinum prongs with the gold shank and they changed the timescale to 5 weeks instead. I told them this within a day of the first order.

Ofcourse, with mine there would have been a waiting list as customers who come first go first in the queue, I remember reading something somewhere, not on this website, about how a jeweller queue works and I believe the first two weeks nothing at all is done as the item is at the back of the queue. Different jewellers will be different though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results