shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum ring has yellow showing under diamond prongs (was resized)

aleks77

Rough_Rock
Hello, this is my Fiance's engagement ring which is from James Allen, bought it in November 2018 and was sent for resize (4.5 down to 3.75) the same month. Got it back December 10th 2018. She didnt wear it again until January 10th as we went on vacation. She just started noticing the yellowing under the diamond prongs (sorry not sure if thats the right terminology!).

From my limited research, this could be white gold solder? I would think someone like James Allen would have the latest tech and be able to solder Platinum. I have emailed them with the same photos and waiting for response. Just want to be prepared when they do get back to me, hence this post. What are my options? Should i simply ask for a brand new setting in the proper size to begin with? Hopefully this can be solved without any issues.

Thanks for any help!
DSC06438.JPG DSC06442.JPG DSC06442-2.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know about the potential for incorrect solder to have been used, but surely someone will pop on soon to chime in with thoughts. That’s a shame, and yes, if that’s what it is, I think I’d ask for an entirely new ring to be made so as not to compromise the structural integrity of the setting. Good luck! Hopefully they get back to you quickly with a plan to resolve the issue.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It looks more like me that it is tarnish from the flux when it was soldered that was not cleaned up but could also be polishing compound.

@denverappraiser
@oldminer

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinium can tarnish but it’s weird that it’s just on the join segment. Could it be flux residue from soldering? I guess they could have used a different alloy for soldering but maybe it’s to do with reworking / heating platinum, I wonder this because my mothers Platinium wedding ring needed to be resized and there was a “line” visible at the join.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why would the “join” be under the head on a resize? Was that visible before?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That looks to me like solder. Solders have a lot of different recipes and they respond differently to things like acids, fluxes and cleaning agents. It's not an evil plot and there are many options. I have no clue what JA uses in their platinum work, and I would even doubt their phone people know, but I do think they'll agree to fix this. It's not an easy repair, by the way, go back to them rather than to a local for the work. I suspect they will give you a brand new setting but there are other options if they want to work at it. Give them a little time to get this into the hands of the correct person.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It doesn't matter what it is, whether flux, solder or fairy dust. You don't like it. @denverappraiser has the best advice.
If it was polishing compound a steam clean locally would likely clean it up.
If it is something else then it needs to go back without anyone else working on it.
Since Neil feels it may be something more than polishing compound it needs to go back.
That is why I pinged him and Dave for a more experienced opinion without making a recommendation.
I would take Neil's advice.

jamesallenrings

Rough_Rock
Hi @aleks77,

We would love to address this issue for you. Could you please reach out to us at [email protected] with your order number and contact details?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t you just clean it off and see if it comes back?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results