shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum Re-size limits?

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by kateek, Apr 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
  1. kateek
    Rough_Rock

by kateek » Apr 15, 2002
    Experts, please weigh-in on this one: I have a platinum engagement ring that is currently size 7.5. I need it re-sized to 5.75 or 6.0. One jeweler said I should have the ring re-cast to the proper size and the stones remounted (he claims the re-size would loosen the side stone mounts). Others have said to simply go witha re-size. Still another said to use "ball" sizers. Your expert opinions are appreciated. Thank you!

2. Garry H (Cut Nut)
    Super_Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Garry H (Cut Nut) » Apr 15, 2002
    You will probably need to use your judgement as to which is the most expert.

Can you take a digi pic for us?

The balls are a great idea to stop rings turning on the finger and will reduce the amount of the reduction - thats a good idea!

3. oldminer
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by oldminer » Apr 15, 2002
    Depending on the design it may be easy, difficult, near impossible or not possible to do the sizing job. We need to see a photo at the very least. If it is at all possible, it can be done somewhere that wants to make a customer.

Maybe we can make some judgment on it and even recommend someone. Where are you located?

4. kateek
    Rough_Rock

by kateek » Apr 15, 2002
    See attached; all stones are emerald-cut ... 1.03 center; .4 on each side.

Thanks!

5. oldminer
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

6. kateek
    Rough_Rock

by kateek » Apr 17, 2002
    All - Many thanks for your feedback, but I was able to have the ring resized successfully at a local jeweler -- everything seems to have turned out just fine. Thanks again!

7. phiphi
    Rough_Rock

by phiphi » Oct 23, 2002
    saw your note about having to re-size a platinum ring down 2 sizes. I have a similar problem: need to have an engagement ring sized 3 sizes down. how did you decide what to do? did the jeweler need to reinforce setting?

also, wondering if anyone has recommendations for a jeweler in San Francisco to resize my ring down 3 sizes? a center stone with two stones on either side.

thanks!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.