shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum/Pennyweights/Custom Maker in So. Cal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

banzai

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone.

I just bought a stone and now I''m looking to get a custom setting designed. I traveled to the local retailer today and it seems like they are charging an extremely high price for platinum and the actual work that needs to be done. I have a few questions.

1. How is platinum priced? I''ve looked online and saw that the price of platinum today is $685. What does this refer to? Per ounce, gram, lb?

2. What is the conversion for platinum weights? The jeweler today described using 7 pennyweights. After researching on the forum here, I''ve found that 1 ounce is equal to 20pennyweights. What is a reasonable price to pay per pennyweight in todays market?

3. I live in Orange County, California. Does anyone know of or can recommend a good jeweler/designer in the area? I tried going to Robbins Bros today, and they are charging nearly $2700 for a custom ring.

a. 1100 for 7 pennyweights of platinum
b. 600 for 8 hours of labor
c. 1000 for 2, 20pt side accent stones (pears)

Thanks to everyone for their reply.
appl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results