shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum owners - polish rings or embrace the patina?

susief

Shiny_Rock
I have a 5.5 year old heavy solid platinum wedding ring that is worn daily and has never been polished. I swing between liking the aged, patina'd look, and thinking it just looked scratched up.

Do you have your platinum polished or not? If you do, how often?

Just curious mostly :))

(Photo of ring to follow)

susief

Shiny_Rock
Here's mine.

img_20160312_112605236.jpg

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My plain band hasn't been polished. I have two pave bands I drop off to have checked yearly and they are polished then.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't had any of my platinum rings/bands polished and they all look great to me. Your ring looks great too Susie. No recent pics but they are not scratched at all and somewhere in between shiny and matte and very aesthetically pleasing to my eye.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't polish either of my rings because I like the contrast of the patina against my diamonds.

susief

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! That's really helpful.

I usually quite like the patina, but I have a new ring and the contrast between the two is bothering me. Maybe I'll polish it as a one-off and then let them patina up at the same rate together.

sonice

Rough_Rock
I love the patina of your ring! When did you first notice the platinum starting to patina?

susief

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Sonice! I really can't remember when it first appeared, it was such a gradual process. Maybe around the 12 month mark? I wear it night and day, for everything.

sassy_pants

Rough_Rock
I get my plain band and solitaire polished annually, right before my anniversary usually. I don't dislike the patina, but am always amazed at how beautiful and shiny the rings look after they are polished. I think the shiny metal makes my diamond look more sparkly. I've noticed that I get the most compliments by far on my ring and stone in the couple months following the polish.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Embrace.

DK :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, accept the patina.

susief

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone. Looks like the weight of opinion is towards embracing then :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results