shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum or white gold? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

doublebb1

Rough_Rock
Which is better, platinum or white gold? I heard stories about how platinum scratches easier and all that so how is platinum the better metal?

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Platinum is a heavier denser metal and it retains it's thickness over time....Some of the drawbacks of white gold is over time you might have to get the rhodium plating redone on your setting. The goodoldgold website has some nice pointers on the pro's and cons of white gold vs. platinum. Here's the link....

www.goodoldgold.com/settings.htm

Have fun reading-

Hope this helps...

Take-er Easy-
Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

Hongerhond

Rough_Rock
My advice would be to go and see them for yourself. Make sure to handle both metals. While shopping online I was *convinced* that I wanted platinum, but I changed my mind after seeing the real thing.

Talonnav

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 4/24/2003 11:42
6.gif
1 AM Hongerhond wrote:

My advice would be to go and see them for yourself. Make sure to handle both metals. While shopping online I was *convinced* that I wanted platinum, but I changed my mind after seeing the real thing.
----------------

What made you change your mind?

Hongerhond

Rough_Rock
The pictures online looked absolutely stunning and I came very close to ordering a platinum setting. Luckily I decided to go and see them for myself. They were incredibly shiny in real life, but looked cold and industrial to me. Also, I coudn't believe the fingerprints left on them after being handled! They looked pretty awful. White gold looked warmer and more luxurious, and not as prone to attracting fingerprints.

Don't shoot me, just my opinion!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi There,
At 1st I thought I would want a 14K yellow gold setting. Both yellow & white metals look good on me. It wasnt till I started looking primarily at Platinum that I knew thats what I wanted. I liked the staying power I read about platinum & more importantly I loved the weight of it. My setting is 9.2 grams & not sure what the total weight is with a 1.5 center stone, but probably not that much more heavier. Yet, my ring really has a heavy feel to it. The heaviness is not a negative thing. Perhaps some of us like heavier peices.
naughty.gif

Judy
:)

doublebb1

Rough_Rock
Yes, I do love the heavy weight of the platinum ring. It kinds reminds you that it's still on your finger. Plus I read about how platinum secures your diamond better. Our jeweler priced the ring at $4,350 with a white gold setting and then later gave me the same price for a platinum setting so that's what settled it for me.

clementine

Shiny_Rock
I couldn't decide between platinum or white gold either until I saw a platinum ring that had been worn for a year. It was all scratched and had a dull look to it, and I prefer the bright shiney look of the white gold much better. My advice would be to find someone who has a platinum ring that they've worn for awhile and see if you still like that look.

I am having my diamond set in a white gold band with a platinum head because I want the security of platinum to hold the diamond.

Something you may want to consider.
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Well I am wearing a platinum ring right now. This one is 6mm wide on top, tapering to 3.5mm on the bottom. It's an estate piece, circa 1930's, with channel set diamonds and emeralds, weighing 7.2 grams. It has a high sheen polish similar to white gold in appearance. This is my everyday "wedding" ring, and I mean everyday, everything, everywhere. It comes off to be cleaned and/or inspected. When I put on my big set, also in platinum and nearly an ounce in weight (band weighs a tad over 17 grams alone), I put this ring on my right hand. It looks like any wg/yg ring looks with wear until it takes a trip to the jeweler for cleaning, inspection, and a good polish. Then, it's good as new until I work it, ahummmm, I mean wear it awhile.

Platinum is hypo-allergenic, doesn't require rhodium plating, and it doesn't wear out. This ring is 70 years old (about) and still looks great today.
16.gif

PS I should add the diamonds are H color and really do look whiter in person than the pic shows. But, the emeralds are also greener too. At least the pic shows how bright and shiny the platinum is. And, that was the topic of this thread. LOL
2.gif

DiamondEmeraldPlatinumBand.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results