shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum or white gold head??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sweetheart

Rough_Rock
I KNOW this has probably been discussed more times than can be counted, but we are going to be purchasing a platinum ring set and one of the sets we are looking at has a white gold head, not platinum. What are your opinions? I prefer someone with personal experience but welcome any. Thank you!
1.gif

sweetheart

Rough_Rock
Well, I have no replies yet.
7.gif
I thought this was a place to get some good insight from unbiased people. I am upgrading from a yellow gold set to platinum. I haven''t had my yellow gold set long enough to make the determination of wether it can withstand the test of time. or be as good as I believe a platinum head to be. Please respond. Thanks.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 1:30:36 PM
Author: sweetheart
Well, I have no replies yet.
7.gif
I thought this was a place to get some good insight from unbiased people. I am upgrading from a yellow gold set to platinum. I haven''t had my yellow gold set long enough to make the determination of wether it can withstand the test of time. or be as good as I believe a platinum head to be. Please respond. Thanks.

Hi sweetheart,
Welcome to Pricescope! It''s been less than an hour since you posted your question, and keep in mind people don''t always see every new post immediately. I''d give this a little more time before you get upset with the lack of response, so that people with similar experiences who might be able to help you can get around to reading it. That said, often the quickest way to get immediate insight is to use the search function. Be creative, try searches like "gold head platinum setting" or "WG with platinum." You''re right, there have been a lot of discussions about it, some of them look quite helpful. Sorry I don''t have personal advice to offer you other than that, but I''m sure people will get around to helping you. It just takes a little time.

sweetheart

Rough_Rock
Hi - I googled it before and after I posted here and found conflicting information that just confused me even more. I''ll try to be a little more patient...but I wasn''t REALLY upset, thanks!
35.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
plat head.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer a platinum head as well.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 4:33:07 PM
Author: sweetheart
Hi - I googled it before and after I posted here and found conflicting information that just confused me even more. I''ll try to be a little more patient...but I wasn''t REALLY upset, thanks!
35.gif

I don''t think Selkie meant searching on Google. Search here on PS! There''s tons of threads about the pros and cons of plat. and WG. Sorry I don''t have any experience with either yet
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
On a platinum ring, I prefer a platinum head. However, to recycle my old solitaire setting (which was platinum) and put a CZ in it I wanted to spend less and had a wg head put in. But if I were to eventually put another diamond in there, I''d replace it and go back to a platinum head.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a platinum e-ring with a WG diecast head (whatever that means, lol). My DH chose the diamond and setting himself, and I just assumed that the head was platinum since the ring was...but I later found out that my head was indeed WG. Honestly, it has never bothered me. I''ve had the ring for over 3 years, and have never had any problems with the head changing colors. I have the prongs checked twice a year, and have only had to have them tightened once. I would prefer to have a platinum head, but only because I''d rather all the metal on my rings was the same, not because they look any different to me or even because I feel one is more durable than the other. I''ve read through all the threads on PS pertaining to WG vs. Plat. prongs/heads and I was never able to come to a conclusion of which is better, honestly.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
platinum head. but i am very hard on settings.

sweetheart

Rough_Rock
Thank you, guys!
I''ve done some research and have learned..NOTHING!
38.gif
The reason is that people that have white gold prongs/heads, say that they have a problem with the tips breaking off...
Then there''s the people that have platinum heads that say they bend very easily. I sware, this shouldn''t be so hard of a decision...This is supposed to be FUN!! LOL
Anyway, there seem to be very valid pros and cons with each metal, but since I am not especially rough on my jewelry, I think platinum seem to be the route I am headed.
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!
1.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will say that when I had my solitaire with a round diamond and a plat head on it, I somehow knocked the ring and two of the prongs bent way to the side....the diamond didn''t go anywhere (6 prong head). I don''t know whether wg would have snapped or not.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results