shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum or 18k Yellow gold for my Emerald, "Ivy"??

Platinum or 18k Yellow Gold for Ivy?

• Platinum (Stunning/Cold/Icy/Princess-like)

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • 18k Yellow Gold (Warm/Glowy/Rich/Home)

Votes: 39 78.0%

• Total voters

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Rose gold might also be a possibility. It was certainly used in the 19th century and looks gorgeous with blue or green gems. Not to make the choice more complicated, lol!

I've had Yvonne warn me off of WG due to the hardness issue with soft stones. It's the reason I went with platinum silver when I set my opal ring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to disagree with T L on this. According to many jewellers who know about gem setting, platinum is easier to work with, way more malleable. It's dense, but more pliable and will get scratched not only by 14k white gold, which is harder and more brittle, but also will get scratched by 18k white gold. Yellow gold, however, is softer than platinum, because the alloys are different. Setting in platinum, in my opinion, will not damage your emerald. I've had a discussion with Yvonne Raley, who gets her information from her setter who used to do work for Tiffany and Cartier, regarding metal choice for softer stones like paraiba and sphene. There's also enough jeweler blogs that say the same thing. Platinum is softer than WG.

CvB should be a top notch bench, so I don't think you'll have problems with the setter damaging your stone.

I respectfully submit that when you look up truly antique emerald jewelry, they're all set in yellow gold. So unless vintage to you means only during and after the Edwardian era, I think more vintage emerald jewelry has been set in yellow gold than in white gold and platinum.

I speak primarily from experience. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but having several jewelers and chipping both a diamond in a platinum bezel,and chipping an emerald in platinum prongs, but never having issues with gold, that’s why I say what I do. I’m not a jeweler, but iridium is one of the hardest metals around, and is often used in platinum alloy.

Yes, I’m referring to Edwardian and Deco vintage styles.

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
Rose gold might also be a possibility. It was certainly used in the 19th century and looks gorgeous with blue or green gems. Not to make the choice more complicated, lol!

I've had Yvonne warn me off of WG due to the hardness issue with soft stones. It's the reason I went with platinum silver when I set my opal ring.

I totally second the rose gold idea... I mean just look at this combo! :kiss2: :love:

A21F8522-3E23-4A6E-843B-82A16D9D3739.jpeg

voce

Ideal_Rock
I speak primarily from experience. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but having several jewelers and chipping both a diamond in a platinum bezel,and chipping an emerald in platinum prongs, but never having issues with gold, that’s why I say what I do.

Yes, I’m referring to Edwardian and Deco vintage styles.
I'm sorry you had that experience with getting your stones chipped by the platinum. Stones could get chipped in the setting process for any metal. It's up to the setter to not to. My guess would be that it also has to do with the bench. Gold is so popular compared to platinum that most setters probably have way more experience with setting in gold than setting in platinum. The melt temperatures are different, and from what I understand, even some of the tools need to be different when working with platinum.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry you had that experience with getting your stones chipped by the platinum. Stones could get chipped in the setting process for any metal. It's up to the setter to not to. My guess would be that it also has to do with the bench. Gold is so popular compared to platinum that most setters probably have way more experience with setting in gold than setting in platinum. The melt temperatures are different, and from what I understand, even some of the tools need to be different when working with platinum.

Thank you. I guess the most important thing is to have a bench that is highly experienced with platinum. I thought mine was, but perhaps not.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Garnetgirl , can you describe more about what you are feeling with this stone? I’m guessing that somewhere maybe you might already know what your choice is.
Choice is a funny thing....it makes us sometimes doubt and over think things which we already know with the heart. I have experienced this profoundly with my star ruby project, which is why I ask.

voce

Ideal_Rock
If I look at the yellow gold one, I can still see the blue in the emerald. If these are two beauties, the platinum one looks wan and the yellow gold one has a healthy glow!

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I totally second the rose gold idea... I mean just look at this combo! :kiss2: :love:

A21F8522-3E23-4A6E-843B-82A16D9D3739.jpeg

Please tell me if im wrong but isnt that the beautiful Isadora in 18k Yellow Gold that @suzanne2 posted on the first page?!?

I do agree that at first glance it looks rosey....if its indeed yellow gold then thats another point for it in my mind!

& Thank you all for your opinions and thoughts! Theyre helping tremendously!!
My heart wants yellow gold but i see the beauty in platinum...or dare I say...rose gold even and i just want to make sure that im maximizing the potential of my stones beauty and not missing out on anything!
I wish I adored all 3 metals in my ring but im afraid a mixed metals ring for Ivy just doesnt feel right.

& @Bluegemz Ive always been partial to yellow gold but the more I imagine it and think on it my certainty slips away from me.
I'm also somewhat open to rose gold but I just would hate for it to look trendy instead of having an old world antique-ish feel.
I also feel as though Ivy would be happy in either metal. Its such a silly thing to be stuck on but im here :clap:

Does anyone think that the ring design would look too "trendy" in rose gold? Or would the metal color support the feelings that im trying to evoke with this piece, such as antique/old world?
This ring ALONE is making me feel like I need to consider rose gold....
downloadfile-206-1.jpeg

Im also going to take some time away from the thread to soak everyone's ideas in and really think about what color would suit her best!

Thanks again!!

20190305_191034.jpg 20190305_191022.jpg
P.s. Emeralds are so not photogenic...i can never capture Ivys true luscious clarity...she always looks jardin-ed out the ying yang on camera.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hmmm.....I wonder how rose gold would look on a men's ring...like my upcoming paraiba?
I think it would look great, @SouthernGent! I'm using RG for my paraiba project, the contrast of the gold with those glowing blue/green colors is gorgeous, IMO.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! That tsav is so yummy! Ive never seen such a bluish minty one?!
Do you have any photos of the tsav unset?
I already know that white gold/plat brings out an icy blue in my emerald that i just adore but its nice to see the difference it makes for other stones.

Also, for either metal I dont plan on using any diamonds whatsoever in the ring, I truly want Ivy to be center stage...now does anyone think platinum wont be able to carry Ivy alone as well as yellow gold might be able to?
I hope im making sense as this idea is difficult to articulate.
As in, if I go with platinum im worried that the ring would beg for diamonds which i dont want, where as with yellow gold and Ivy it might look more complete; since in my mind platinum carries extra diamonds so well; same-ish color.
Does that make sense?

Its almost laughable how complicated ring designing can get. :roll2:

@TheGarnetGirl, I'll try to find a picture of two of her unset for you :) I love my tsav, too, she keeps me from pining for emeralds (too much). She's also a sturdier gem, which is good for klutzy me, lol :) I love the Ivy setting, it will look fabulous regardless the metal's color!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to let you guys know that Ive made my decision; & I choose......

*Drumroll please!*

NEITHER!

I awoke from my sleep last night due to a sprain I put on my ankle the day previous from rolling it and I just immediately knew "Ivy wants warmth" and I was able to envision her in an 18k Rose Gold setting and it was just so romantic.
I can get the warmth that I need from the metal in my engagement ring WHILE also getting a beautiful blue to come out of my emerald.
What also sold me is that rose gold isnt just a current trend as someone mentioned but, it was used to make antique rings....and I think the setting from CVB cant possibly look "trendy" as its made so intricately and has such an old world feel.
I wouldnt use it if it was a more modern setting or my gemstone was rosecut....but I truly feel like this is the best of both worlds in a way and the main word that comes to mind when i imagine my ring in rose gold is; Romantic :kiss2:

Thank you all for the help! This thread really let me work every possibility out in detail that was in my head and I cant thank you all enough!!!

I am planning on having this ring finished and on my hand by January next year but it could be a little sooner....we will see! Eeeeep!

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Omg I'm so happy you've decided on rose gold! That is the perfect solution, and for entirely selfish reasons I hope you set Ivy this year, and sooner. After all, don't you want to wear her before January next year? :twisted2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yayyyyyy! I came late to the thread to say "rose gold"!!!!! Just to find you already decided on it. Perfect choice for your gorgeous emerald. I cannot wait to see it finished!

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I awoke from my sleep last night due to a sprain I put on my ankle the day previous from rolling it and I just immediately knew "Ivy wants warmth" and I was able to envision her in an 18k Rose Gold setting and it was just so romantic.Eeeeep!

This is how my best design decisions tend to work for me... I get stuck, look at about a billion inspo pics, have uncertainty, then: boom. Once you know, you know! Looking forward to seeing the final result in the future :)

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm excited that you chose RG, @TheGarnetGirl ! It's going to look wonderful with Ivy.

I found some pictures of my tsavorite unset, per your request :)
thumbnail (8).jpg thumbnail (10).jpg thumbnail (11).jpg

StarRHnegative

Rough_Rock
If you dont mind me asking.. Where'd you get this sexy emerald and how much was it?

Im seeking a similar gem. Thanks !

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will be amazing. And that CVB setting is one that I am going to do at some point when I find the perfect emerald!!!:love:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Yup. Rose Gold is most definetely the winner.
Also while clarity is so much better in person (not sure why it photographs so poorly) the color is spot on. You can see my quilt, its an eggshell white in person also.

This ring is 14k Rose Gold and I was thinking orginally that 18k Rose Gold would be the winner as its apprx. 76% yellow gold and it has a peachy champagne color to it rather than the in-your-face pink of 14k....but now I'm thinking 14k could possibly be a contender...

20190307_080317.jpg 20190307_080318.jpg
Upside down
20190307_080252.jpg 20190307_080250.jpg

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! Is there a thread on Ivy? Where did you find the beauty?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I came back to say that.....

Its finally happening! :dance:
I'm in the works of designing this ring right now! Its crazy how accurately I guessed back then when it would be made...too strange!

Also originally I only envisioned Caysie creating this ring but we ended up chosing DK as his prices were so much more affordable and gave us the ability/option to afford a wedding band as well as this ring. I think it was meant to be :kiss2:

& While Im using CvBs image as inspiration I'm changing many things about this ring & just keeping the bones. I love both designers and know that one day I will find the perfect project for Caysie. Possibly when I'm in a spot to pay for my dream OEC/OMC. Both are of an incredible caliber!!!

Stay tuned! Were only counting weeks now!! (:

& Yes so far I've stuck to my decision on 18k Rose Gold! Its like gold that was made to blush! Its incredible!

voce

Ideal_Rock
So excited for you it's happening! Do you have an ETA on when certain steps will happen? Are you going to receive it directly from DK, or will your DF receive the ring first and then surprise you on a special occasion?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@voce Yes Omgosh!
& We just started but DK estimates it'll be around 25 days! To me thats not long whatsoever because Ive dreamt up this ring for years and found my perfect emerald and held onto it for some time as well. Its very much a passion project. :pray:

So we still very much want it to be special so I plan to ask for a gazillion photos from DK when its done and then my beau will check it to make sure Ivy survived shipping and once thats done I'm leaving it up to him to surprise me! I told him to not make me wait more than 1 month.
Our anniversary is coming up, February 28th so that would be the perfect time! Valentines day im working graveyard so that wont work! Lol

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
@TheGarnetGirl, could you ever so kindly provide the closure I desperately need on this thread? :) Have you completed this ring?! I am going through the process of choosing metal colour for my own emerald and find myself going through the exact thought processes that you were.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@TheGarnetGirl, could you ever so kindly provide the closure I desperately need on this thread? :) Have you completed this ring?! I am going through the process of choosing metal colour for my own emerald and find myself going through the exact thought processes that you were.

Awww well the good news is that I came to a definitive decision that I wanted 18k rose gold for my ring-without doubts. The bad news is that this ring has been put on the backburner for now! Good luck!
My stone was a bluish green and I think those look best with rose gold. If yours is more forest and less blue then its a toss up for yellow/white!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results