shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum on a budget?

upnorth123

Rough_Rock
Surely you know the story-- young, broke & in love. With grad school stipends pretty much fixing our income for the next few years, we have a seriously strict budget.

We're looking for a thin platinum solitaire engagement ring that would allow a straight wedding band to sit flush plus a .5 carat round diamond (ideal specs: ideal cut, eye-clean SI, g or h in color) for around $2000-- could possibly stretch to $2200 at the very most. Is it possible? Where could we lower our standards to stay within that price point (absent switching metals-- nickel allergy and not huge fans of yellow gold)?

Thanks in advance for any help, direction or insight!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked into palladium from the platinum family? it cost less than gold. Do you want to eventually trade up in the future after you settle or is the "one" forever ring? I'd focus on the stone first, then possibly go with palladium for a "temp" setting if so. your budget is half gone already for the metal already if not more.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
like what D&T said, you can always look at other things like palladium since you can always upgrade in the future when things in life are more settle down~

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
why not try idjewelryonline.com ? they have great reviews here on pricescope. I bought a pendant from them ,gave them my diamond specifications and Yekhutiel found a beautiful diamond for me within my budget .

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you can also ask for palladium white gold (white gold alloyed with palladium rather than nickel). gold prices are through the roof, but settings in palladium white gold will still be less than platinum, although palladium i think is less than both.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I suggest considering I and J color diamonds. In that size, they will look very colorless! Unless you are a real diamond afficionado, those colors are perfectly acceptable to most!

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1313875643|2995215 said:
Not with a single solitaire diamond at 50 points.

But this is a lovely ring and has .43 ctw and is in platinum... and it's half your budget. I think this is a great deal, and a lovely ring.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/closeout-jewelry/rings/02M1/40/

The only thing this has in common with what the OP is looking for is that it's platinum and a ring. OP wants a solitaire that sits flush with a wedding band and this is a bypass cluster ring.

OP, if your only reason for insisting on platinum is that you want a white metal that won't cause allergies I strongly recommend along with the others that you look at palladium or palladium white gold. You can then put most of your budget into a lovely center stone. I do love the combination kelpie posted but it looks like a wedding band may not sit flush to the ring.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
It is tough to get a well made set that is truly flush with straight bands. Precision set is one option though out of the price range. Conveniently the cheapest soldered on " peg heads" are probably most likely to be truly flush though it's a far less fluid look in general if that's one thing OP is considering with a flush fit. Still it makes sense to put as much of the budget as possible into the stone unless you never want to upgrade, in which case springing for a substantial setting is a good idea as it must withstand a lifetime of wear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results