shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum next to WG???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
My engagement band is platinum. We''re hoping to use my grandparent''s wedding bands, but they are yellow gold so we''d have to have them dipped. Is it okay to have WG rubbing up against platinum? Any potential damage or chemical reaction to either??

Also, color-wise, will they look okay together? If it makes a difference, the engagement ring band is very thin, the wedding band is about double the size of the e-band.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have read mixed things about this on PS. The technical advise is not to wear different metals side by side. The practical advice is that it would take decades for anything to happen!

I think they will definitely have a different color though. If it were me, I might consider wearing the family band on my right hand -- use it in the ceremony even along with the left hand wb if that is important to you -- but leave it as is. Dipping will not *totally* cover the yellow gold I think. Diamond*dana did this to a family ring as well so maybe she can comment.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It will not take decades with plat beside WG, but the wedding ring being wider is a help because it will spread the wear.
Probably the band on the Ering will wear out about the same time as the wedder is half the thckness, then just reshank the Ering with white gold (which still wears YG faster).
When you have the rhodium added each year - make sure they do not repolish heavily - as you will not get 5 years.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 7:00:03 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
It will not take decades with plat beside WG, but the wedding ring being wider is a help because it will spread the wear.

Probably the band on the Ering will wear out about the same time as the wedder is half the thckness, then just reshank the Ering with white gold (which still wears YG faster).

When you have the rhodium added each year - make sure they do not repolish heavily - as you will not get 5 years.

So the plat band will wear down and I should have it reshanked in WG? Can you do that?? I''m not sure I know what this means...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 10:52:49 AM
Author: megumic

Date: 3/25/2010 7:00:03 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

So the plat band will wear down and I should have it reshanked in WG? Can you do that?? I''m not sure I know what this means...
The gold will wear faster, but since it is wider, he is saying that the wedding band will wear down to half thickness around the same time the e-ring band wears out. Then you can get a new shank for your e-ring in wg.

Basically, he is suggesting not to wear them side by side I think!

Although what Garry says is undoubtedly true, when I asked about this a while ago numerous people popped in with anecdotal stories of family members who wore gold and plat next to one another for decades without problems, but anecdotes may not be worth much.

suzannea

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I had to respond- I have a WG band and a plat e ring- both are pretty decent sized. I''ve been married for 6 years- they look fine together- I never redipped my WG band and there is no "wear". MInd you- my WG band is very inexpensive and cost me $625 new with .50 carats of channel set diamonds- so I''m sure there was not great care taken in making this ring. .. I know this isn''t some expert opinion- but it''s a real life one and it is totally fine. I know many people _( I deal with the public) who have the the same thing as me WG next to platinum- I''ve never heard from anyone about their bands wearing out or anything like this- you will be fine. Enjoy and congrats.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone! Appreciate the advice!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I wore a platinum ring next to a white gold one for a couple years- three?- and nothing happened to either of them... no unusual wear, and I''m a bit hard on rings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results