shape
carat
color
clarity

PLATINUM E-Ring and SAPPHIRE ring -- two queries

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

curious

Rough_Rock
The SHANK of my Diamond PLAT engagement ring completely bent and is cracking.

Is this to be expected? The jeweler said it happened b/c it was too big on my finger. Is this BS? It is also so scratched. This setting is only six months old, I recently had it reset from a White Gold setting. The White Gold setting was flawless. I''m kind of sorry that I switched.

I had a SAPPHIRE square cut reset and the jeweler found that the stone was chipped on the corner.

It was not chipped when I purchased it, so who knows how it happened. Anyway, they recut the stone to try to get rid of the chip. However, there is still a little divit b/c they did not want to cut away too much of the stone. The stone was of VS standards when I purchased it. How much has the stone depreciated now that it is flawed? I paid $900 and it was 1.35cts.

Please respond.
twirl.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, yes and no... No, what happened with the setting is not tollerable. I guess the jeweler had sized it down for you a few numbers instead of warning you that this would compromise the integrity of the setting. This scenario would explain what you are saying to the best of my knowledge. Aside extreme resizing, no idea what could cause platinum to shatter on somebody's finger. And, yes, platinum scratches more than YG, so you will get a "patina" on it soon enough.

The chip; that's a rather frequent phenomenon with stones cut with pointed corners (such as princess-cut diamonds). Those corners chip either during setting or after, while one wears them. The crack remains covered by the prong which facilitated it in the first place. Sorry to hear that this was the case for you... If the stone had "clipped corners" - like a typica emerald cut or radiant cut diamond would - than this has much less of chance to happen. I don't know wether this reasoning applies to your stone ("square cut" usually indicates pointed corners). If it does, than "flattenning the corners" is a usual solution.

Can you do anything about the setting? Some jewelers guarantee their work... did yours (the one who did the resizing)?

curious

Rough_Rock
The PLAT e-ring was custom made to fit my finger. I guess they made it too big. This will be the first time that it is made smaller. Yes, the jeweler is taking responsiblity.

They did "flatten" the corners of the sapphire which did originally have pointed corners. However, there is still a little divit near a prong which bothers me. Do you know anything about the loss of value to the stone? If I wanted to sell it, would I lose a lot of $?

***The sapphire stone did look just like the pic near your user name.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results