shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum Discoloring!

JDJS

Rough_Rock
PHOTO - Copy.jpg I bought a ring from Blue Nile that was perfect when received. My fiancé stored it in the BN case for a few months and when we pulled it out its discolored on the part that sits in the cushion! The exposed part is OK. Why did this happen as I thought platinum does not discolor. Here is one photo. Can post more for the experts to give us some feedback. We feel disappointed and shocked. How to fix/ clean this? Thanks in advance.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be really curious to know as well. I have had platinum pieces for over 40 years and this has not happened.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting!

Perhaps the cushion material has some chemicals within it that are forming some form of oxidised coating? although I was also of the understanding that Pt was a very inert metal.

Definitely get in contact with BN if you haven't already, as I am sure they will be keen to know if there is a risk of problems with their packaging.

Could you have handled it with, say, hands slightly greasy with moisturiser before putting it back in the box?

Do not worry too much, though, as I am sure it will easily polish out :)) and congratulations on your engagement! :)

Do we have a BN representative on the board? I don't recall seeing one... if there is, someone needs to '@' them!

Last edited:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I’m posting to keep in the loop on this one.

That certainly looks like a plated ring that has lost it’s plate ... I can see the hallmark “950 PT”, which would seem to indicate platinum at 95% ... I have never seen a hallmark quite like that, but since it is not my field, I doubt this observation means much. It still follows the basic 950 number with PT, which the internet says is an acceptable hallmark.

I googled whether platinum tarnishes ... one site says “seldom” but I think it reallly should say “no, unless mixed with an alloy that makes it tarnish” Another site that referred to platinum tarnish said it’s not really tarnish, it’s the patina that everyone talks about.

I conclude that the only possibility is that the alloy has caused it to tarnish, or the ring is not platinum and maybe platinum plated. However, Sherlock Holmes I am not.

Looking forward to the answer to this mystery.

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s something in the ring box. Some sort of chemical, preservative, dye in the ring box.
I have a 18ct gold bracelet which is for my daughter so I stored in away in a watchbox that I bought of eBay (Chinese). It’s just cardboard box with a blue covered cushion thing inside.
I got it out after a few months and the gold had literally turned black. I’ve had gold pieces sit in my ordinary jewel box or other boxes for literally decades without massive tarnish,
It cleaned off ok but I figured that whatever dye or materials was in the cushion pillow had some sort of preservative that caused a chemical reaction on the gold. I threw that cheap box out and it’s now in a better quality box and of course stored exactly in the same place and no further tarnish.

JDJS

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses. Want to give an update. While shopping for a wedding band, a local jeweler put it in a sonic cleaner and then used a cleaning cloth for rings and was able to remove almost all of it for free. They said can just clean it some more with a jewlery cloth and it would be gone. Dont knock Zales. They were the ones who helped. BN also backed up their product and said they would take care of it but we didnt want to mail it back due to chain of custody worries.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the responses. Want to give an update. While shopping for a wedding band, a local jeweler put it in a sonic cleaner and then used a cleaning cloth for rings and was able to remove almost all of it for free. They said can just clean it some more with a jewlery cloth and it would be gone. Dont knock Zales. They were the ones who helped. BN also backed up their product and said they would take care of it but we didnt want to mail it back due to chain of custody worries.
Thanks for coming back to update! Good to hear you resolved the issue :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results