shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum chipping?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blast7

Rough_Rock
I bought a platinum ring about 9 months ago and on the inside of the setting for the baggets there is a chip. I would think that being platinum, the hardest metal on earth, it would not chip. I will be taking it into the jeweler tomorrow but would like to get some information on this before I go. The inside of the ring indicates PLAT so it is not mixed. Thanks for the help, in advance.
lickout.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are many threads on platinum, run a search here and read up on what you find. The suitability of platinum vs gold or white gold etc for rings is often debated.

I unfortunately have nothing to contribute but this. A diamond is said to be the hardest stone, and you have heard the whole 'diamonds can cut glass' analogy etc...so the idea is that nothing is harder than a diamond. But diamonds chip and it's not necessarily a rare thing. If you have a hard object, and it strikes something with much force, then that hard object will not necessarily bend as well as say..a softer gold. Instead it will break, chip, fracture, etc. This happens with diamonds sometimes and it makes sense that it may happen with something such as a harder metal as well--I would think anyway.

Anyway..good luck when you take the ring in, let us know how it turns out.

raincount

Rough_Rock
Chipping is common for platinum due to its density. Where gold will just bend or scratch.

blast7

Rough_Rock
I thank you for the help. I am confused as to how it happened because my fiance never hit her ring against anything to cause the chip. Because of the spot that it chipped it is virtually impossible to hit it with something that would cause it to chip. I wish I could upload a pic of it and show you but you would need to take on object and really try to cram it in there to chip. I'll do some reading and definitely keep you guys informed on how it goes tomorrow.

blast7

Rough_Rock
Furthermore, can the chip be fixed? I'm not familiar with the way that platinum works and whether or not they can "add" it to the chipped area.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
plat is not strong or hard, it is a very soft metal that has some other (5%) added for durability.
But it sounds like your setting is cast and might have had some air bubbles (porosity) that may mean a new setting.
But this is pure speculation without seeing the ring.
Let it be the vendors problem, just ask for a gaurantee that it will not happen again
1.gif

blast7

Rough_Rock
I'll see if I can upload some pictures on here somtime this week with my brother's digital camera.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results