shape
carat
color
clarity

platinum bands and warping?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I am interested in what width plain platinum band is considered 'safe' from warping. obviously this will vary from wearer to wearer but I am curious to hear what people have to say on this topic. Is a 2.2 or 2.5 mm band more durable than a 2 mm band?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting topic! I'm looking forward to hearing some personal experiences.

I can say with certainty that a plain 1.6mm wide x 1.6mm* high 950/ru band is not a safe bet for active hands: mine is both out-of-round and out-of-plane after a year and change of regular (careless household) wear.

*Edit - just got out the calipers

LittleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
I would love to hear some feedback also! I am planning to order a thin plain wedding band, either in platinum or rose gold, and hope that it will be durable enough for a lifetime of everyday wear and tear. However, I was planning to have the platinum or gold band created in a 1.5-1.8mm width. Too thin?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1312870525|2987041 said:
Interesting topic! I'm looking forward to hearing some personal experiences.

I can say with certainty that a plain 1.6mm wide x 1.6mm* high 950/ru band is not a safe bet for active hands: mine is both out-of-round and out-of-plane after a year and change of regular (careless household) wear.

*Edit - just got out the calipers

yssie would you mind sharing where you purchased this band? I am not disputing that it is too thin but am curious if the method of making the band has anything to do with the durability. I am considering purchasing from eweddingbands.com and they say
Machined wedding bands are more uniform in shape, closer to perfectly round, harder, and more durable than cast rings. They are free of porosity and are seamlessly sizeable. Our wedding bands are machined to provide more years of stronger and more durable wearing.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh good point slg!

I got it from weddingringhotline.com. It's essentially square in cross-section.. I believe cast, but I've emailed to inquire. I'll update when I hear back!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine is 2mm and I've never had an issue. It's a scott kay 1/2 eternity pave.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Past my edit window -

They are actually die struck (stamped) from solid blocks or platinum and then machine cut to shape, width, thickness and finger size. Die struck is much better than cast because there is no porosity (air pockets) in the metal and the rings polish brighter and are more durable than cast rings.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1312919857|2987371 said:
Past my edit window -

They are actually die struck (stamped) from solid blocks or platinum and then machine cut to shape, width, thickness and finger size. Die struck is much better than cast because there is no porosity (air pockets) in the metal and the rings polish brighter and are more durable than cast rings.

thanks for sharing this!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good to see this information. I am a recent convert to platinum since having my baby band. I love the weight of the metal. Not sure how I will like the patina but will know in time.

Luckily I like thicker bands so thinness is not an issue.

SLG is it for your wb? How wide is your e-ring shank?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1312921749|2987388 said:
Good to see this information. I am a recent convert to platinum since having my baby band. I love the weight of the metal. Not sure how I will like the patina but will know in time.

Luckily I like thicker bands so thinness is not an issue.

SLG is it for your wb? How wide is your e-ring shank?

yes, it is for my wb. My ering shank is 1.6 mm - 2.4 mm, so I was thinking ~2.2 mm for the wb.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results