shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum and Diamond Band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Roland

Rough_Rock
I am considering buying a platinum and diamond band second hand. I want to make sure the band is authentic. I was wondering if the hallmark for platinum is familiar to anyone: P1900. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
Hi Roland,

That's probably a lower case "L" instead of a "1". It should read "Pl900". So it's likely 900 parts platinum to 100 parts iridium (my guess anyway). If you want to be sure it's platinum, take it to an appraiser and have them test the metal. I would recommend you take it to an independent gemologist appraiser, just to make sure you're getting exactly what's being represented to you; and you'll get a nice document for insurance purposes.

Best of luck!
Bill Scherlag

Roland

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the advice capitolbill. When I look at the ring again I''ll make sure it''s a lowercase L.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Sort of hijacking this thread, but my wedding ring reads Plat and KMP in a small diamond symbol. Anyone know what this means? Thanks!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
KMP and the little diamond symbol is the mark of the manufacturer, sort of like the tag in a jacket or the nameplate on a car.

It's worth being aware that marks are not always accurate. Just because it says that it's Platinum doesn't mean that it is.

The tool to make these marks is easy to buy and inexpensive.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results