shape
carat
color
clarity

Plating a Y/G ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mishelly

Rough_Rock
Hi fellow diamond lovers :)

My grandma recently gave me a 14 k y/g ring with rubies set in it. I'd like to have it replated in white gold (preferably with a palladium alloy base) and rhodium dipped if necessary. This is a ring that I'd like to wear on a regular basis (and to be honest, I'm not 'easy' on my rings) and I'm looking to see what I should ask for from my local jeweler in regards to getting the best, longest lasting result possible. I've read the Alloy article posted on the FAQ link (very helpful!) and have also perused some of the links re platinum versus w/g. I am really not wanting to change the setting, just want it to be white gold with a nice crisp shiny white appearance that will be long lasting, so platinum is out.
So...what sort of q's should I ask my local jeweler re his plating techniques/dipping etc? He's a local jeweler who does lots of custom work, and has a great reputation and is always doing nice freebies for me (free ring cleaner, etc).
When replating y/g to w/g, is it necessary to replate the ring and setting (stones out I imagine) with the white gold/palladium and then have it rhodium dipped to get that nice shiny look?
Is my jeweler likely to access the w/g palladium alloy combo in Canada or is this sort of unheard of in smaller cities? If so, is there a reputable online vendor who does this to rings that some one might recommend for me???
Sorry I have so many questions! I'm not sure where to start and don't want to go in there with the ring and in the end not get what I want/and or look stupid heehee
20.gif

Michelle

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it is rhodium plating, too.

highly doubt you'd be able to get a palladium alloy plate.

it'll wear off fast with yellow gold underneath. i guess you could try it once and see if it works, but I doubt it'll look good for a long time.

rubies look great in YG, anyway.
35.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I know several people have had their YG jewelry rhodium plated. Some have had better results than others. It all depends on what piece of jewelry it is, how frequently you plan on wearing it, your body chemistry, etc. You can search here on PS for their results and even some pics. I know one person had their ring rhodium plated, and it ended up looking leopard spotted
2.gif

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Rhodium plating is all you can do to make the ring white.
Since the plating is microscopic thickness,any areas contacting other surfaces during wear will soon rub off.
Best would be remake in a decent white gold alloy like palladium which won`t need plating anyway.

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
Ive seen a few YG rings plated to look white but 85% of the ones I saw turned back or started flaking off within 3 months. Hmmm depending on what type of ring it is maybe you could have a new platinum shank put in or reset the ring altogether?

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
I just visited my local jeweler to inquire about resetting my 14k yg set into wg. The woman who worked there (not the jeweler) tried to tell me that they could just rhodium plate the yg. Knowing what I know, I asked her if it would last. She said sure. Then I actually spoke to the jeweler. He said that the rhodium would not last and I would end up dipping it constantly. The best thing to do is reset into wg. Which is what I am doing.

My rings are a channel set anniversary band and a classic Tiffany set solitaire. So, I am literally having them reset into the exact same settings... only in wg! If yours is a ring that you would like to wear everyday, I think that resetting it would be your best bet.

Of course, you could try one round of rhodium plating the yg to see what happens. My jeweler charges $30 per ring which is not too bad for a trial run.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 8:05:59 AM
Author: Joolskie
I just visited my local jeweler to inquire about resetting my 14k yg set into wg. The woman who worked there (not the jeweler) tried to tell me that they could just rhodium plate the yg. Knowing what I know, I asked her if it would last. She said sure. Then I actually spoke to the jeweler. He said that the rhodium would not last and I would end up dipping it constantly. The best thing to do is reset into wg. Which is what I am doing.

My rings are a channel set anniversary band and a classic Tiffany set solitaire. So, I am literally having them reset into the exact same settings... only in wg! If yours is a ring that you would like to wear everyday, I think that resetting it would be your best bet.

Of course, you could try one round of rhodium plating the yg to see what happens. My jeweler charges $30 per ring which is not too bad for a trial run.
Forgive my ignorance . . . I thought whitegold (wg) WAS just yellow gold "dipped" into a white metal . . . resetting into wg would be the same as dipping yellow gold, no???

I am confused by the above post which seems to implu that white gold will not wear down to a yellow tint and need redipping.

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Hikerchick,

White gold is yellow gold that is alloyed (mixed) with another metal (nickel or palladium) to lighten it and make it appear white. As white gold is made from yellow gold, it can still have a warm, yellowy tint to it. So, it is then plated with rhodium to give it that shiny, white apperance.

For some, the rhodium plating can fade over time allowing the yellowy tint to show through. A jeweler can dip into the rhodium and it will look shiny and white again. Others find they never have to re-rhodium. My mother has had her white gold set for over 35 years. When I asked her how often she has had to re-dip, she looked at me with a puzzled look and asked what I was talking about. LOL!

If you were to rhodium a true yellow gold piece of jewelry... when the rhodium does fade or rub off, the bright yellow underneath would be revealed. With white gold, the metal underneath the plating is a slightly warm white so it is not all that noticeable.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I had a yellow gold opal ring rhodium plated and it turned out great, but I understand fully that I will have to have it redone periodically. I think this is a fine solution for jewelry that is worn infrequently, but for something you are wearing daily with hard wear I would have to agree with having it reset.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 9:39:18 AM
Author: Joolskie
Hikerchick,

White gold is yellow gold that is alloyed (mixed) with another metal (nickel or palladium) to lighten it and make it appear white. As white gold is made from yellow gold, it can still have a warm, yellowy tint to it. So, it is then plated with rhodium to give it that shiny, white apperance.

For some, the rhodium plating can fade over time allowing the yellowy tint to show through. A jeweler can dip into the rhodium and it will look shiny and white again. Others find they never have to re-rhodium. My mother has had her white gold set for over 35 years. When I asked her how often she has had to re-dip, she looked at me with a puzzled look and asked what I was talking about. LOL!

If you were to rhodium a true yellow gold piece of jewelry... when the rhodium does fade or rub off, the bright yellow underneath would be revealed. With white gold, the metal underneath the plating is a slightly warm white so it is not all that noticeable.

Okay . . . I get it
1.gif

Thank you for the explaination.

mishelly

Rough_Rock
Well...guess I''ll have to consider my options! Thanks everyone for the input, it was quite informative (as always!)

Michelle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results