shape
carat
color
clarity

Plating a rose gold item with yellow gold?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I am considering adding yellow gold plating to a rose gold piece, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this? DK says he can do it and the cost is super reasonable, but I don't know if it may have that fake look like when sterling is sometimes plated.

Thoughts?

TIA!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Bump! I see plenty of yellow gold pieces I wish were rose :rodent: but I don't know how plating actually works (around set stones, etc?). Curious to learn more!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am considering adding yellow gold plating to a rose gold piece, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this? DK says he can do it and the cost is super reasonable, but I don't know if it may have that fake look like when sterling is sometimes plated.

Thoughts?

TIA!

This is interesting. I assume/think the ‘fake’ look we all know when we see it may be due to different alloys /k of the plating used and if not more importantly the prep work/final finishing of the piece which might vary jeweler to jeweler.
I think it’s the same as white rhodium plate - it can look nicely done, or it can be horribly done/looking gloppy.

@mrs-b
haven’t you had something yellow/rose plated at DK,
can you chime in?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is interesting. I assume/think the ‘fake’ look we all know when we see it may be due to different alloys /k of the plating used and if not more importantly the prep work/final finishing of the piece which might vary jeweler to jeweler.
I think it’s the same as white rhodium plate - it can look nicely done, or it can be horribly done/looking gloppy.

@mrs-b
haven’t you had something yellow/rose plated at DK,
can you chime in?

Hallo ladies! :wavey:

I'm sorry I can't help you with this. The closest I've come is plating a 14kt rose gold ring in 18kt rose gold to give it a little extra oomph - but that's it. Came out great, tho, for what that's worth.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Hallo ladies! :wavey:

I'm sorry I can't help you with this. The closest I've come is plating a 14kt rose gold ring in 18kt rose gold to give it a little extra oomph - but that's it. Came out great, tho, for what that's worth.

Yes this is tough it seems that nobody has done this lol. It’s usually what you were saying plating 14 K with 18 K of the same color. I don’t have the rose gold item in hand yet.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Please update us if you follow through! I’m curious! Did DK mention that he’s done it before and that it came out well?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Please update us if you follow through! I’m curious! Did DK mention that he’s done it before and that it came out well?

He didn't mention whether or not he had done it before, he just told me what it would cost. I will definitely update if I do it.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mind showing what piece you are thinking of doing it to?
Just to look at the hi wear possible areas that would see the wear/color change first?
If indeed it will be a high occurance wear item. If it’s a seldom wear thing - it’d take forever to wear down to show the other gold color thru?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Just to look at the hi wear possible areas that would see the wear/color change first?
If indeed it will be a high occurance wear item. If it’s a seldom wear thing - it’d take forever to wear down to show the other gold color thru?

I will show you when I get it I’m a bit superstitious lol. Something about not having it in hand - if I show it too early makes me think it might get lost in the mail or something ha ha. But it’s a ring and I don’t think it will get tons of wear (bc I have so many rings lolz)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

@Rfisher here is the ring I’m thinking of plating (the one with the diamonds).

6C437A90-3BFA-47A9-A971-770308B2F59D.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring!!!
looks like a lovely transitional?

no experience only guesses
if it’s going to be a daily driver wear for you, I think it depends on how much it will bug you when some inevitably wears away and it’ll need to be redone.

are you wanting to match it to another rg piece? I wonder how many choices of rg color plating there are within 14/18? Like casting grains of same gold might have different color between vendors.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Pretty ring!!!
looks like a lovely transitional?

no experience only guesses
if it’s going to be a daily driver wear for you, I think it depends on how much it will bug you when some inevitably wears away and it’ll need to be redone.

are you wanting to match it to another rg piece? I wonder how many choices of rg color plating there are within 14/18? Like casting grains of same gold might have different color between vendors.

But I was considering yellow gold which is why I was wondering if it would look odd.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops - I backwards’d it.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
This is an Ivy & Rose 14k WG setting that I had plated in 18k yellow gold in some parts. I don’t think anyone can tell it’s plated. It’s been two years and I can’t see any visible wear so far.
A5FFBD06-0E7D-4290-B943-14536A7A67E2.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
This is an Ivy & Rose 14k WG setting that I had plated in 18k yellow gold in some parts. I don’t think anyone can tell it’s plated. It’s been two years and I can’t see any visible wear so far.
A5FFBD06-0E7D-4290-B943-14536A7A67E2.jpeg

Ooo pretty and thank you for the example!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Oops - I backwards’d it.

As for the stone, (forgot to answer that) it was said to be an old mine cushion and the shape suggests that, but the pattern does look transitional. I love the stone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results