shape
carat
color
clarity

plat vs white gold...18K vs 14K

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

m82

Rough_Rock
I know this has probably been discussed before, but I need some experienced opinions on this subject.

I know that plat is obviously more expensive than gold. I have also read that it scratches easier and is softer than gold, while being a heavier metal.
I have read in previous forums that after a while, white gold will need re-plated. What does this mean?? If I buy it on-line will I have to ship it back to the supplier? How much will it cost? How often will this need to happen?

I have also been in a dilema over 18K white gold vs 14K. The store I was going to originally buy the setting from recommended 14K because it was a little more rugged and would endure more ware and tear than the 18K. Is this true and if so how significant is the difference?

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Platinum is not really softer than gold, it is more pliable if that makes sense. The reality is that platinum eats the burrs that we work with faster than gold if you try to use the same tools to work with platinum as you do with gold... Special burrs and tools are required and once those are obtained platinum is actually a nicer metal to work with... It doesn't seem to scratch any more than gold and actually we prefer platinum to white gold for many reasons, not the least of which is how white gold tends to oxidize over time (yellow) and require being plated with rhodium to make it white again... The plating wears off gradually over time but can be re-applied with little cost and time.

Platinum costs more because it is more pure than white gold. Platinum is measured by parts per thousand where gold is measured in parts per hundred. 900 platinum consists of 900 parts platinum and 100 parts irridium or a cobalt mixture. 950 platinum is 950 parts platinum and the rest is the mixture specified above. 500 platinum is 50% platinum (bummer) and so on... 14k gold is 54% gold and the rest is generally a mixture of nickel, paladium, copper, zinc... 18k gold is 72% gold and so on... 18k gold is wonderful and tends to oxidize less than 14k gold, but many dealers will try to dissuade you from 18k because they don't stock it, in our experience it wears the same as 14k and generally comes with a platium head to hold the diamond which in our opinion is preferable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results