shape
carat
color
clarity

Planning a new setting project, but I lost GIA cert...

APMK

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I’m in a big of a conundrum here. I recently contacted David Klass for a new setting project I’m planning very soon and the moment he asked for diamond measurements, I raced to look for it only come up empty.... We’ve moved a lot over the years.

The diamond was purchased by Blue Nile over 10 years ago and there was no serial number inscription for my particular stone. I remember most of my inclusions well since it’s on the pavilion and visible when I look for it- nothing on the table etc. But I feel a little uneasy about sending a stone cross-country.

This ring / stone isn’t insured on its own and we never made copies of the GIA report. Ugh.

What should I do? David’s price is reasonable and really want to reset her soon since she hasn’t really been worn in 3 years. I don’t want anyone else to set the stone because that can open up a new can of worms if they mess up.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would first take the stone to a local appraiser and have them evaluate it. With the appraisal, you can obtain insurance on the stone. Have DK send you and insured label through fedex (there is a charge associate with it, but it’s totally worth it). Lastly, I would also consider getting your stone graded again by GIA. It’s always great to know exactly what you have.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

I’m in a big of a conundrum here. I recently contacted David Klass for a new setting project I’m planning very soon and the moment he asked for diamond measurements, I raced to look for it only come up empty.... We’ve moved a lot over the years.

The diamond was purchased by Blue Nile over 10 years ago and there was no serial number inscription for my particular stone. I remember most of my inclusions well since it’s on the pavilion and visible when I look for it- nothing on the table etc. But I feel a little uneasy about sending a stone cross-country.

This ring / stone isn’t insured on its own and we never made copies of the GIA report. Ugh.

What should I do? David’s price is reasonable and really want to reset her soon since she hasn’t really been worn in 3 years. I don’t want anyone else to set the stone because that can open up a new can of worms if they mess up.

Ummm, if you don’t have the certificate, what measurements are you going to give David Klass? Do you remember them?

I would suggest sending it to GIA for re-certification right away, while the stone is loose (I’m assuming). I think someone said it’s around $140. Might be worth it for insurance too (another assumption that you don’t have an appraisal).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results