shape
carat
color
clarity

Places to See?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Another spin off on the travel threads. What are some places that you think others absolutely have to see? They can be large landmarks, or something as varied as the world's largest ball of yarn, or The Alligator Farm here in FL. What do you think are some great things that everyone should see?

I'll start.

1) St. Augustine, mainly the old fort. This is the oldest city ever in the United States of America. Unfortunately it doesn't get much recognition compared to Plymouth, but everyone needs to visit once.
2)The city of Palatka, FL houses the country's oldest curbside service diner. The waitresses still roller skate to your car to take your order, or they have tables you can sit at outside.
3)Cade's Cove which is outside of Pigeon Forge Tennessee. This place is phenomenal. You can drive, hike, or ride horses. The drive is some 15 miles long, and you literally creep/idle the entire way. There are houses that date into the early-mid 1800s, as well as old farm steads. Deer and bears roam all throughout, sometimes close enough to touch/feed, which I have done. It is beautiful, set in the mountains, with many open fields, rivers, waterfalls, woodland mountainsides etc.
4)The Everglades. Go before they're gone.
5)The Alligator Farm :Up_to_something:
6)Cedar Key, FL - It is an old weatherbeaten fishing village on the North Central Gulf Coast of FL. The restaurants are locally owned, and usually feature locally caught seafood. There are small cottages you can rent, or condos. They have a small beach, but the shopping and fishing are the main features, as well as their historical museum which is hidden in a neighborhood on the North side of the village.
7) Stonehenge
8)The city of Bath, including the baths, but also including the large and intricately carved church next do it, and the great pubs in town.
9)London duh
10) When in London, visiting the Shakespeare Theater is really a cool experience. They do shows in the theater so try to get in or one.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellis island, statue of liberty, NYC!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm another good thread =)

id be inclined to say that everything is a 'must-see' but when i think carefully about it there's only a few id pick as truly must-sees...

Pyramids (Egypt in general!)
Victoria Falls
The Serengeti
Sossusvlei, Namibia
Gorillas (In Uganda or Rwanda - if animals are your thing)
Goreme, Cappadocia
Florence, Venice, Amalfi Coast (my fave spots in Italy) - for experience's sake id also add seeing the opera in Verona.
Paris
New York - the skyline and the Brooklyn Bridge.
Kefalonia (=most amazing Greek island!)
Petra maybe? it was pretty cool...Jerusalem maybe if you're into one of the big 3, or just religion in general...
And for diving a liveaboard on the Red Sea is the Holy Grail!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
The wild coast of the Olympic Peninsula (Rialto Beach is amazing)

Hoh Rainforest also in the Olympic Peninsula

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a great thread!

These places have taken my breath away, inspired me with awe, and just generally blew my mind:

- The Cliffs of Moher, Ireland. (AKA The Cliffs of Insanity!) It really is a breathtaking spot.
- The Cave of the Apocalypse on Patmos Island, Greece. This is where St. John wrote the Book of Revelations. It is really an incredible space. (And I say this as a Jew who was not raised reading the New Testament!)
- The Baths, Virgin Gorda, BVI. I imagine I would be a poet if I lived there.
- Stratford-upon-Avon, UK. Shakespeare's birthplace. Visit early in the summer when the RSC is still performing in The Swan. I spent only one short week there, and it was magical.
- Majdanek Concentration Camp, Poland. This is a difficult place to visit, but an important one.
- Masada, Israel. Hike up before sunrise and read up on the history of the place before you visit.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I second Masada, followed by a nice float in the Dead Sea to cool off! :))
I loved Eilat, Israel too.
Ellis Island is really neat, since it was the gateway for so many people into the US

I'm going to start a bucket list with some of the places you've all mentioned. I can't wait to take the kids to see the Sequoia National Forest, which I've never seen either!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Venice. They keep saying it will be gone in our children's lifetimes

The champs elysees from the bottom, up, at night.

Caldera, Santorini.

The hills of Positano, Italy

The New York Skyline, from New Jersey!

Niagra falls for the sheer power of the falls

The view right after the tunnel going into Yosemite when the falls are in full swing

Big Ben

Sydney Harbour

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The prettiest place I've ever been is Glacier National Park in northern Montana.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd love to visit Montana, Marcy!

Here in Indiana we have lots of notable places to see. One is West Baden/French Lick. West Baden is a town where there is an infamous domed hotel and "Pluto water" springs, where Al Capone used to stay. A lovely gentleman by the name of Bill Cook (who has recently passed away, sadly) restored this great "8th wonder" over the past several years. It truly is a sight to behold here in Southern Indiana. Please google West Baden Springs Hotel for more results. My parents met there 43 years ago...and I have visited this phenomenal place many times in my 33 years since...it is absolutely outstanding in its luxury and because of its location in the hilly, beautiful part of rural Indiana. Very unexpected, not many know of it, but it is one of those hidden American treasures. :wavey:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colosseum in Rome.
The Corinth Canal.
flying fish
As an American, The Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials, some of the civil war sites; Fort McHenry (the battle there inspired the National Anthem) and Old Glory herself in the Smithsonian; Normandy.
A beautiful beach almost anywhere!
Yellowstone.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1305222806|2919822 said:
What a great thread!

These places have taken my breath away, inspired me with awe, and just generally blew my mind:

- The Cliffs of Moher, Ireland. (AKA The Cliffs of Insanity!) It really is a breathtaking spot.
- The Cave of the Apocalypse on Patmos Island, Greece. This is where St. John wrote the Book of Revelations. It is really an incredible space. (And I say this as a Jew who was not raised reading the New Testament!)
- The Baths, Virgin Gorda, BVI. I imagine I would be a poet if I lived there.
- Stratford-upon-Avon, UK. Shakespeare's birthplace. Visit early in the summer when the RSC is still performing in The Swan. I spent only one short week there, and it was magical.
- Majdanek Concentration Camp, Poland. This is a difficult place to visit, but an important one.
- Masada, Israel. Hike up before sunrise and read up on the history of the place before you visit.

Haven - I agree with Stratford Upon Avon. I truly enjoyed this place in the few hours I got to spend there. We did a driving tour that let us go there, Stonehenge and the village where Shakespeare's lover lived. I wish I had had more time at each place though.

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
1) Christ the Redeemer - Brazil
2) Temple at the Bay of Bengal - India
3) Taj Mahal - India
4) Grand Canyon - Arizona, USA
5) Cliffs of Moher - Ireland
6) Stonehenge - UK
7) Royal Tombs of Petra - Jordan
8) Statue of Liberty - New York, USA
9) Sagrada Familia - Spain
10) Not a place, but an experience...shopping in Tokyo - Harajuku, Ginza and especially the market by the Asakusa Temple.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Lake Moraine--Lake Louise.

cheers--Sharon

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Two places I've never been but would like to go:

Pyramids in Egypt - I'd love to ride one of their native horses on a riding tour of the desert
Northern Lights in Scandanavia - got a chance to go when I was in college but was too lazy to take the 2 day train ride to northern Norway and have been kicking myself ever since

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1305321191|2921088 said:
HI:

Lake Moraine--Lake Louise.

cheers--Sharon

CanuckGirl, i only thought after id posted to add these - banff lake louise is AMAZING =) good choice!

i guess its coz i live in the rockies i didnt think of it when considering places ive visted - like i didnt think of any spots in australia that should be on the list because im from there...

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
I'm going echo Blackpaw with the big 3.... when I was 16, I took a 17 day pilgrimage with family, not sure if they still offer it but at 31, I still think it's pretty cool:

Prage [Vitrus]
Vienna [Stephen's]
France [Lourdes]
Vatican City [Peters]
Barcelona [Sagrada Familia]
Jordan [Petra, Dead Sea]
Jerusalem [Big 3, Mt. Tabor]

Alaska in August- Fjords and Tongass rainforest, best place to get lost in nature, Kenai River offers serious sports fishing.
Brazil- Ipanema Beach and Igazu Falls in April.
Nile River Cruise- Edfu is my favorite port.
Vancouver BC- Gorgeous gardens, Capilano suspension bridge is a must.
Victoria BC- Warm island with an European flare.
Peru-Sacred Machu.
Yucatan- Xcaret rituals, physical exertion and lots of sea life.
Crete Island- Vai Beach is simply stunning!
Singapore-Great pubs, Nocturnal Safari, Botanic Gardens and amazing Orchids.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
1-the Smithsonian and the Hope diamond
2-old Faithful at Yellowstone national park

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
i second the Lincoln memorial.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results