shape
carat
color
clarity

Pinkish red zircon

Kellyashley16

Rough_Rock
I am hoping this doesn't turn into a beginner boo boo purchase, but I just won this 4.04ct un heated zircon on eBay from siamgold78. I've included the vendor photos here. I've read a few Ps reviews but has anyone recently had good/bad experiences with this seller? If bad, was the return process unencumbered?

_3208.jpeg

_3209.jpeg

_3210.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooh, congrats on that stone! I was watching that one too, and thought it looked great. I haven't purchased from this vendor (yet), but I know that some trusted vendors (Jason Brim, and another who's name is escaping me right now) have purchased from the vendor and have gotten very nice stones. Obviously we need pics as soon as you get it :naughty: :naughty:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kellyashley. There has been mixed reviews on Siamgold78. When buying on Ebay it is always a good idea to search the seller out on Toolhaus. I have ogled plenty of the seller's stones. The photography is beautiful. But, in all honesty I would expect a less saturated stone in hand from comparing pics of some of their previously stones sold with lab reports that were included in the sale. You will know when you get the stone in hand. With that said, if you love the stone, then great- if not Paypal has a good reputation for protecting buyers on Ebay.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well..truth? I think the stone will be darker than the images. I hope I'm totally wrong though! it looks promising, but I'm looking at how the seller holds that stone in images, and to me, that usually means he's trying to get as much light on that stone as possible.

More often than not, red zircon is heated to brighten the color. Thats not a bad thing as long as its disclosed, but its something that most people experienced with the material knows about.

I don't have any experience with the seller so am unable to help there.

Kellyashley16

Rough_Rock
I thank you all for your input. I've got lots to learn so all of this info is valuable for me. If it turns out to be a dud, I won't be too disappointed (setting expectations low, maybe pleasantly surprised?) I will definitely post photos when I get it so everyone can see.

Kellyashley16

Rough_Rock
Well, it arrived - and most of the speculations were spot on. There is extinction in most lighting and a small window. It is so dark in normal lighting. If I photograph it the right way, it is pretty; it's tough because I'm not sure what to do with it...

_3419.jpeg

_37088.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sad for you, that really sucks. Most of the time with ebay, of course they show the stone in the best light (sometimes with photoshop even!). After a while you learn how to read such things but many of us have been where you are. heck, I can still get it wrong too.

I would contact the seller to see if they will take it back unless its too expensive to do so.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looks like a nice red zircon to me.

One thing I wouldn't do, especially if I was thinking of sending a stone back is hold with those pliers. A very good way to damage the stone. The safest way to handle a stone is with your fingers. Fingerprints can be cleaned off very easily, chips from plier not so easy.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1462383376|4027213 said:
I'm sad for you, that really sucks. Most of the time with ebay, of course they show the stone in the best light (sometimes with photoshop even!). After a while you learn how to read such things but many of us have been where you are. heck, I can still get it wrong too.

I would contact the seller to see if they will take it back unless its too expensive to do so.

+1, that's very disappointing! Especially since I've seen some very pretty stones from that vendor. I would definitely ask about returning the stone, since if you dont LOVE it in all lights you are unlikely to end up setting it and it will sit in the jewelry box (I speak from experience on this point :wall: )

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
[
+1, that's very disappointing! Especially since I've seen some very pretty stones from that vendor. I would definitely ask about returning the stone, since if you dont LOVE it in all lights you are unlikely to end up setting it and it will sit in the jewelry box (I speak from experience on this point :wall: )[/quote]

I agree. I have way too many beginner mistake stones cluttering up my gem box! I do chock it up to experience though, and am slowly getting better at choosing stones. Just posting so you know you're not alone!

Kellyashley16

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the comments. I promise they are not pliers though I see how they could look like that in the photo. I haven't chipped this stone (I checked) but will certainly be careful in the future not to do so. I just wanted to get some light behind it so I could photograph it at its best.this tool I'm pretty comfortable with as I use it on a daily basis for some other really delicate stuff and had barely gripped it for these photos. Fingers from now on. On a separate note, it's unbelievable how slick these guys are at photographing their stones - if you are not the buyer, it's pretty impressive. I really appreciate all of the feedback, it's so helpful to have a sounding board.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kelly if you don't mind me saying so- I think a nice rhodolite garnet might be the color you are seeking (vendor pics) in a gemstone. Sorry this purchase didn't work out.

Kellyashley16

Rough_Rock
Thanks LisaRN. I do love their colors. I'll look into one.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kellyashley16|1462386953|4027236 said:
Thanks all for the comments. I promise they are not pliers though I see how they could look like that in the photo. I haven't chipped this stone (I checked) but will certainly be careful in the future not to do so. I just wanted to get some light behind it so I could photograph it at its best.this tool I'm pretty comfortable with as I use it on a daily basis for some other really delicate stuff and had barely gripped it for these photos. Fingers from now on. On a separate note, it's unbelievable how slick these guys are at photographing their stones - if you are not the buyer, it's pretty impressive. I really appreciate all of the feedback, it's so helpful to have a sounding board.

The concern isn't chipping but abrasion. Zircon is a soft stone and whatever tool you used looks very hefty. A good tip about the lighting is to see how strong the shadow is and how reflective the tweezers are.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is disappointing to see the difference in saturation and intensity of color. Despite the fact that we can intellectually know it likely will look different than a vendor's floodlit photo, what we see in vendor photos often really does set our expectation. I'm sorry OP. :blackeye:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results