shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Topaz from collector...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cofor

Shiny_Rock
Anyone here knows if the diffusion treated or coated pink topaz shows any pronounced dicroism?
Got one from a collector who claims it is heat treated. It shows dicroism very sharply. One ray is more salmonish pink (with a orangish yellow overtone) the other is more purplish pink. It also shows faint color zoning or banding under crossed polars.
No coating has been detected.

Conny

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 2:47:00 PM
Author:cofor
Anyone here knows if the diffusion treated or coated pink topaz shows any pronounced dicroism?
Got one from a collector who claims it is heat treated. It shows dicroism very sharply. One ray is more salmonish pink (with a orangish yellow overtone) the other is more purplish pink. It also shows faint color zoning or banding under crossed polars.
No coating has been detected.

Conny
I don't know about diffusion treated topaz, but coated topaz is simply white topaz with a coating over it. I could be wrong, but common sense would tell me that there is no dichroism.

Do you have a picture you can upload?

cofor

Shiny_Rock
I have no image right now and it is getting late here in scandinavia. Will try to get one uploaded during this week. Maybe both daylight and incandescent. Anyhow I will recut the stone as it is "native" cut and has a disturbing window in the center. After that we will know for sure if it was diffused
emsmile.gif

Conny

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Hiya Conny-
Regular heat treated pink topaz may show moderate dichroism. You think it''s diffused because of the strong dichroism?

I''m very interested in hearing what you find while faceting. Pics!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting; I've never heard of pink topaz having dichroism. I'm interested in the answer because I'm in the process of getting a pink topaz myself but I believe mine to be unheated and untreated.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Hi Chrono--I''ve only seen dichroism in pink topaz through a dichroscope. Any untreated pink topaz I''ve seen did not display eye visible pleo. Untreated pink topaz is very pretty--now I want a piece!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s excellent news, Coati. Thanks!

cofor

Shiny_Rock
Maybe some clarification. The pronounced dichroism I detect is also seen through the dicroscope. Weakly seen with naked eye.
No I did not think a diffused stone would be strongly dichroic, rather the opposite. That is why I am asking.
I have never seen any diffused Topaz irl AFAIK.

Images will come later on. I have a busy time at work so it is usually dark when I get home an I would like to make some comparative images in daylight.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never seen diffused topaz either. Looking forward to your pics!

cofor

Shiny_Rock
The topaz in incandescent light.

pink_topa.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the colour in the picture accurate? I'd almost call it diffused right away! I've seen light and dark pink topazes but not one like that. Amazing!

cofor

Shiny_Rock
The image is close to the real color. It''s a bit more "salmony" (orange overtones) when looked at with naked eye. In daylight the color is more purplish. Will try to get the time to take some daylight shots today or tomorrow.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a picture of a mineral specimen of a very pinkish purplish pink topaz on youtube. You can view this on youtube (I left the title in there).

pinktopazspecimen.JPG

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Wow! What great colors! Now I want one too!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great looking pink!
30.gif
That one''s worth collecting.

cofor

Shiny_Rock
Here is a more "color true" incandescent light image.

pink_topa_2.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous pink!!

cofor

Shiny_Rock
And here comes a daylight image. It is slightly more bluish than in reality.

pink_topa_day.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful!

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous stone, but what in the world are you guys talking about?!?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really is a pretty stone!

cofor

Shiny_Rock
Actually we are talking about what treatment is likely to have been done to this stone. It is said to be heat treated only but I suspect radiation or diffusion treatment.
It is no doubt Topaz. The origin is said to be Brazilian but as the stone has no inclusions big enough to be of any help regarding origin it could originate from any topaz bearing country. At least I'm sure it is not coated.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 9:55:46 AM
Author: cofor
Actually we are talking about what treatment is likely to have been done to this stone. It is said to be heat treated only but I suspect radiation or diffusion treatment.
It is no doubt Topaz. The origin is said to be Brazilian but as the stone has no inclusions big enough to be of any help regarding origin it could originate from any topaz bearing country. At least I''m sure it is not coated.
Unless you send it to a reputable lab, there really is no way to tell if it''s been irradiated. I posted the picture of the mineral specimen above because topaz in a similar color to your cut gem does exist in nature. Unfortunately, topaz is one of the most widely treated gems, so I suggest you get it checked out by a lab if you want to know for sure. It may or may not be worth it based on the expense of the report.

cofor

Shiny_Rock
Thanks TL, I am aware of the need for a lab report to detect radiation. I will make a recut of the stone and after that I might consider sending it to a lab. Depends of the outcome. If the stone is surface diffused it will probably loose most of the color during recutting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results