shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink sapphires: Is the quality in the color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I''ve noticed that some pink sapphires are a very deep pink (such as at Tiffanys) but I have a pink sapphire ring that is much lighter in color (and it''s also waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than Tiffanys). Does the deep color equal higher quality? I''m just wondering because I actually prefer the lighter pink. One day I plan to get a pink sapphire Legacy and I wonder if Tiffanys could use a lighter pink stone. Also, I would like to use a lighter pink sapphire in my future ER.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Color is really all there is for colored stones! So yes, certain colors can jack the price waaaaaay up. And to answer your Q about the legacy, we asked at Tiffs and they only use the colors they use for the legacies. You can''t request a specific color unfortunately.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you like a lighter pink, then go for it! I''m looking for some myself.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know they say the important thing on gemstones is color, color, color. I think the thing that matters is the color or shades you find appealing. I have both the hot pink and pastel pink stones in sapphires and I can''t say I like one better than the other. I like the lighter shades of tanzanite over the deep blue violet which they say is more valuable. I hope you post pictures of your sapphire when you get it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. I like both the light shades of sapphires as well as the deeper. They can price the lighter shades cheaper and that''s a bonus to me since I like them!

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Since Tiffanys only does what they do... you could have an AMAZING ring made to look like the Legacy. There are some great online sapphire places (NSF) and I know other PS''ers have done the Legacy style. When you are shopping for the ER- it is going to be great with a nice light pink stone!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bulk of the value in gemstones is colour (although by colour, it includes saturation, tone and hue). Size, clarity and cutting also play a part in it but not as much. The trade has price points for certain colours but I say get whatever makes your heart go pitter patter.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all of your responses. I was just wondering since it had never occurred to me about the wide range of hues. I guess it makes a lot of sense for the point of a colored stone to be in the color! duh lol.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results