shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink sapphire vs. Irridated diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
Hi all I am a long time lurker who has finally chosen what I want for my ering and am going the custom route, the thing I am having a hard time with right now is the pink melee. My biggest problem is that the pink sapphires I have seen are always poorly cut and dont put light out as much as it seems they diffuse it. At the same time I have never seen an irridated pink diamond so I have no idea if they compare up to what real pink diamonds look like? Any input is greatly appreciated!! Thanks yall!!!! :)

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
One website that has been used a lot is the Natural Sapphire Company. Here's the link http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/?gclid=CKO57Jne5okCFQQRgQodKRuREw A lot of people have gotten their sapphires on here and they are very nice quality and well cut. As for irradiated diamonds, I don't know much about them, but I *think* (am not positive), that the irradiated ones are often very intense pink, but they can make them pretty much any shade of pink you want I guess.

*M*

DBM

Shiny_Rock
pink irradiated are very pretty IMO and, atleast to me, are indistinguishable from naturals with a cursory view. The only downside is the irradiated diamonds cannot withstand exposure to direct intense heat (such as what a jeweler might use if working on the setting). I''m not such an expert on the subject but that''s the little i do know from the trade.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 12:42:57 AM
Author: poptart
One website that has been used a lot is the Natural Sapphire Company. Here''s the link http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/?gclid=CKO57Jne5okCFQQRgQodKRuREw A lot of people have gotten their sapphires on here and they are very nice quality and well cut. As for irradiated diamonds, I don''t know much about them, other than that over time they can sometimes lose their color. I also *think* (am not positive), that the irradiated ones are often very intense pink, but they can make them pretty much any shade of pink you want I guess.

*M*
i''d be curious to hear more expert opinions on this as i was always told (by the dealers and their brochures) that irradiated DON''T fade over time at all except for being under intense heat. But again, as i said, that''s what i heard from the dealers, so they could be biased.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 12:47:26 AM
Author: DBM

Date: 1/17/2007 12:42:57 AM
Author: poptart
One website that has been used a lot is the Natural Sapphire Company. Here's the link http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/?gclid=CKO57Jne5okCFQQRgQodKRuREw A lot of people have gotten their sapphires on here and they are very nice quality and well cut. As for irradiated diamonds, I don't know much about them, other than that over time they can sometimes lose their color. I also *think* (am not positive), that the irradiated ones are often very intense pink, but they can make them pretty much any shade of pink you want I guess.

*M*
i'd be curious to hear more expert opinions on this as i was always told (by the dealers and their brochures) that irradiated DON'T fade over time at all except for being under intense heat. But again, as i said, that's what i heard from the dealers, so they could be biased.
Yea, I don't know much as I've never had them... I just read that somewhere. Maybe I can find the article I read for you.

ETA: The articles I found all said that the diamond color would last, although during resizing the diamond should not be put under any intense heat, as it could compromise the color. So I guess I was wrong, sorry! I fixed my first post accordingly.

*M*

DBM

Shiny_Rock
That would be great M if it''s not too much bother. thx -- daniel

poptart

Brilliant_Rock

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all!! I really want the pink diamonds because well im a brat and I would want to be able to say oh look diamonds
28.gif
but I was worried about the color fade thing and also just the look kwim? Thanks though I think I will probably go with diamonds....so much to learn
34.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 1:03:16 AM
Author: Officers girl
Thanks all!! I really want the pink diamonds because well im a brat and I would want to be able to say oh look diamonds
28.gif
but I was worried about the color fade thing and also just the look kwim? Thanks though I think I will probably go with diamonds....so much to learn
34.gif
I''m curious what the price differences are - like for 2 point melee.... for pink sapphires, natural pinks and irridated pinks - is it huge? I would think the dif between the sapphs and irridateds would be large also? But what do I know lol!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Officers Girl. My fiance-to-be gave me a promise ring with treated pink diamonds. I will attach some photos for you.

My impression is that the color of these diamonds is more intense and deeper than natural pink diamonds. Mine are little purplish pink - I don''t know if they are all like this. The diamonds have a lot of sparkle and I get tons of compliments on this little ring. Hope this helps.

PinkDiamondPave1.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another shot...

PinkDiamondPave2.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Last one...

PinkDiamondPave3.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
nice ring....would also make a nice wedding band.

movie zombie

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pink sapphires cannot match the performance of pink diamonds even if they were very well cut examples. Most sapphires are just not cut with the consistent pattern and look of diamonds, so there is not much of a contest between the two. I have seen some diamond cut sapphires which are able to be well matched, but they appear watery because when cut like a diamond the pavilions leak a lot of light that would be reflected in a diamond of a similar cut.

You have to be aware that there are HTHP treated pink diamonds which are very durable. There recently have been reports of surface diffused pink diamonds which may suffer from some lessened color stability, but it is not yet known how much abuse they can take and for how long a period. The diffused ones may be able to be color matched better than HTHP, but the jury is out yet on market acceptance. These diffused ones may cost less than HTHP which have been color changed all the way through.

Consiering the value of natural color pink diamonds, it is going to become very accepted to look for treated ones to use in conventional pieces where price is a consideration.

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 10:43:06 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

28.gif
34.gif
I''m curious what the price differences are - like for 2 point melee.... for pink sapphires, natural pinks and irridated pinks - is it huge? I would think the dif between the sapphs and irridateds would be large also? But what do I know lol!
Its roughly 700 between the sapphires and treated pinks, I didnt even ask what the naturals wouldve been something like 1500 a carat for melee I think.

Starry eyed wow what a beautiful ring!! I am really leaning more towards the treated pinks, thats such a beautiful color wow
30.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 11:09:38 AM
Author: oldminer
Pink sapphires cannot match the performance of pink diamonds even if they were very well cut examples. Most sapphires are just not cut with the consistent pattern and look of diamonds, so there is not much of a contest between the two. I have seen some diamond cut sapphires which are able to be well matched, but they appear watery because when cut like a diamond the pavilions leak a lot of light that would be reflected in a diamond of a similar cut.

Thanks Officers Girl! In my humble opinion, what Oldminer says here is very true. If I were you, I''d choose diamonds over sapphires any day. The treated vs natural is a tougher question - those natural pinks are big money.

I''ve had this ring for a little less than a year and wear it everyday. I haven''t had any problems with the color changing - it seems very stable.

Hope this helps. Please keep us posted. I can''t wait to see your ring!
36.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 11:11:52 AM

28.gif
34.gif
Its roughly 700 between the sapphires and treated pinks, I didnt even ask what the naturals wouldve been something like 1500 a carat for melee I think.

Starry eyed wow what a beautiful ring!! I am really leaning more towards the treated pinks, thats such a beautiful color wow
30.gif
wow only 1500 for pink melee?? I thought it would be much much more than that!! Of course it adds up LOL

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 11:45:39 AM

Date: 1/17/2007 11:11:52 AM

28.gif
34.gif

30.gif
wow only 1500 for pink melee?? I thought it would be much much more than that!! Of course it adds up LOL
lol well I was asking for light pink ones so that mightve brought the price down :)

Starry after seeing your ring and that georgeous color I am wondering if instead of all pink melee pink and white would look better. You have started my cogs turning
9.gif
lol I cant wait to see my ring either we are working on the CAD images and I should have those this week unless I keep changing my mind
19.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 11:50:46 AM
Starry after seeing your ring and that georgeous color I am wondering if instead of all pink melee pink and white would look better. You have started my cogs turning
9.gif
lol I cant wait to see my ring either we are working on the CAD images and I should have those this week unless I keep changing my mind
19.gif
Thanks for the compliments! Just another thought for you - when I looked at this ring, there was another one exactly the same but with treated blue diamonds. The color of the blue diamonds was very light, sorta like the color of an aquamarine. As a result, the pattern didn''t show up as much. From a distance, you could hardly tell there were blue diamonds.

What I''m trying to say is that I think it depends on the color pink you choose. If it''s a light pink, all pink might look better. If it''s darker pink, the contrast might be nice. With a lighter pink, you might not see the contrast & pattern. Does that make sense? It''s all personal preference.

If you post pictures of a similar ring/setting, I''m sure plenty of people with chime in with opinions for you. In the end though, you have to know for yourself what will look best on you.

anacgarcia

Shiny_Rock
starryeyed that promise ring is amazing!!!
and Officers Girl, I''m so curious about your ring.. post a pic!!

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
Garr I wish I had my CAD done so I could show you what I mean but dont worry you all will be the first to see it next week :) Hopefully I wont change anything by then
12.gif
. Starry thats absoulutly what I was thinking about the light pinks and now that I see that delicious raspberry color that they made yours how could I not want something like that, I think I would want mine to go to more like straight pink. I found economans rings on here the last nite and I just fell in love the pink and white alternating is perfect!! Thank you for all of your help everybody!! I cant wait till my ring is done I have been waiting 6 months for this
24.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Officers Girl - I checked out economan7''s ring in this THREAD. Boy, his fiancee really loves pink!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 11:45:39 AM

While you might find natural Fancy Light Pink melee in the 1500 per carat price range, natural Fancy Pink would cost considerably more, probably in the 5000 per carat neighborhood, or more.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results