shape
carat
color
clarity

pink sapphire question

teklit

Rough_Rock
I've checked out every recommended vendor on the stickied list, plus some.
I want a warm rose, and I keep coming back to these two.

Sapphire Cushion "Portuguese" Style Cut
Weight: 2.37cts
Measurements: 8.5x7.6mm, depth 4.6mm
Clarity: VVS
Origin: Sri Lanka
Enhancements: Heat only
Price: $ 5950.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_pink_459
Description: Really beautiful, nice and big. The definition of "Padparadscha" color varies between gem dealers as well as gem labs. AGL did not classify this a 'pad', but some dealers definitely would! Saturated peachy pink, orange and gold. Gorgeous stone. AGL lab report included. No Pantone match. (Cut by Andrew Gulij)

Sapphire Oval Modified Brilliant Cut
Weight: 1.72cts
Measurements: 8.5x6.5mm, depth 4.2mm
Clarity: VVS-VS
Origin: Madagascar
Enhancements: Heat only
Price: $ 1475.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_pink_473
Description: Gorgeous rosy pink with peach tone in some lighting.Slightly hazy not glassy, the lower the light, the better it looks! Well cut and clean to the eye at 7-8 inches. Heat only, lab report included. (Cut by Andrew Gulij) Closest Pantone Coated Color Card: No match

The first one, do you think it will look that vibrant?
Because I'm liking the muted brilliancy of the second one. Is that what you call silk?
However, I like the orange tones in the first one.

Just tell me what y'all think about these two, how you speculate they will perform, as I have no eye experience with sapphires- except for the blues that are common in jewelry stores.

_34844.jpg

_34845.jpg

_34846.jpg

_34847.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you say you want "warm rose," and the 1st GemFix stone I'd say is a peachy/coppery/brown with a bit of rose in it. That said, I do find the color rather beautiful - and it looks to be well-cut and well-proportioned, so likely a lively stone. If the stone otherwise meets your requirements, it might be worth checking it out in person.

I do think the 2nd GemFix stone is spot on in terms of being warm rose, and it looks to be a very nice oval cut, but to me the silk is heavy enough I think performance would be flat-ish and muted most of the time, coming alive only under certain lighting. But if you're not looking for sparkle and clarity (so much rutile/silk the stone is opaque), I do think the stone is attractive for what it is.

Keep in mind that per their website, GemFix is closed right now, 10/10 - 10/18, if you do contact them, you may not get a reply for a bit.

teklit

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your assessment.

EDIT: deleted the picture comparison, they weren't showing up. Oh well

teklit

Rough_Rock
I do like that rutile/silk feature, there are a few posters here that own gems like this, I find them unforgettably beautiful, haunting.

S

SparkliesLuver

The first one reminds me of Fall. Gorgeous. :) My guess is that it'll be quite sparkly! The second one does seem to fit your color description better, but as marymm noted, it looks very silky, so it won't be sparkly. It'll be more muted and flat-ish, but it will come alive under certain lighting conditions. For me, the silk is the biggest difference between them because they're two very different looks. I know you said you like the silk, but have you seen silky sapphires in-person?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the first stone. I think the color is amazing and the stone will "pop" in a variety of lighting. The second one is also a nice color, but like others I worry that it won't come "alive" except in certain conditions.

One option could be to order both and decide which you prefer in person (if gemfix is OK with that). Sometimes you just need to have a stone in hand to be 100% sure

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with ordering both to compare with your own eyes. Aside from the silk issue they are two totally different cuts..........Portugese cut's are known for more 'sparkles' from smaller facets.......so you really are looking at two stones that are not the same. It would come down to which you like the best in a variety of lighting and after sitting with them for a bit. IMO....... :whistle:

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Amazing colors!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are nice, but you need to decide if you want a really sparkly stone, or a stone that glows more than sparkle. IMO, you're comparing apples and oranges in these 2 stones.

teklit

Rough_Rock
Thank you, everyone.

I have not seen rutile in person, and if I have, I didn't know.

But forget those stones, I ended up ordering (today, just a couple of hours ago) neither of the above stones. :D

I liked everything about it, no hem-hawing.
It looks like there may be some drawbacks, small face-up window, perhaps some extinction, we'll see. I will post some pictures if I return it or not.

This whole learning experience has been a lesson in compromise, and I've come to the conclusion that women should have to shop for their own engagement ring- there is a valuable lesson to be gained that would help them in marriage. lol

teklit

Rough_Rock
I'd like to add, I ordered it from Pearlman's

I realized after creating this thread that I didn't really look through their inventory because their gemstone search is cumbersome, clunky, slow. So I sat down and combed through their selection. I inquired about a stone and they were extremely quick to respond- that impressed me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on getting your e-ring stone, even if it's a different stone. :)) I'd like to note that both stones show no windowing whatsoever, not even a small or tiny one.

teklit

Rough_Rock
Well, this is an anniversary present.
But it may take residence on my e-ring finger- never had one. He proposed to me with a zales heart necklace. :)

Also, my original wedding band is a Beverly K wreath style, can't resize it, so it's a right hand pinky ring now. Which actually is a really nice place for it, more of the design shows.

teklit

Rough_Rock
My sapphire arrived today.
I had to delay delivery due to an unexpected incident.

It's really beautiful!! So sparkly!! Now I understand what everyone means when they say pictures don't do the stones justice.

I'm excited, plus I'm not the best writer... so good luck reading the rest of my post.

Oh, and all I have is iphone camera.

I don't think there is any extinction, it definitely looks really dark outside. There is a small window.
It ranges from pink to peachy brown in different lighting.
2.1ct, 6.7mm x 8.4mm and 4.57mm depth. heated. No lab report (I know I took a risk and do plan on sending it to AGL to make sure I didn't get ripped off. However, I'm wondering if I should get the window cut out, as long as it doesn't change the spread, and then get the report done. What do y'all think? Is there enough depth to tweak it?)

In a room with large eastern window, mid-day sun, no lights on:

In same room, no light, on windowsill:

Outside, diffused light:

_34952.jpg

_34955.jpg

_34956.jpg

teklit

Rough_Rock
Same room, halogen overhead light, platinum band and 14k rose gold band.

_34957.jpg

_34958.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
teklit|1445371327|3940352 said:
Same room, halogen overhead light, platinum band and 14k rose gold band.

I'm surprised to be saying this, but I think it looks stunning with the platinum.

teklit

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1445377374|3940387 said:
I'm surprised to be saying this, but I think it looks stunning with the platinum.

Yep, I feel the same way. I love 14k rg and own several rg pieces. But next to the platinum it looked more pink, next to the rg it looked more peach.

teklit

Rough_Rock
Just took the gem outside, 5p.m.
It looks yellow and peach, crazy!

I tried to capture the yellow but it doesn't photograph well.

_34960.jpg

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooooh! I love it against the platinum!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow, it's amazing with the platinum! Love it!

teklit

Rough_Rock
Anybody have any thoughts to share about closing that window without sacrificing spread?
I could live with the window, but I figure it can't hurt to inquire about closing it.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One possible way to "close a window" is to choose a setting that has more of a closed bottom... here's a couple quick pics from Stuller that I think will demonstrate the concept:

more_closed_-_stuller.jpg

more_open_-_stuller.jpg

Do you see how the 2nd setting is completely open underneath where the center stone would be mounted? A setting like that will make a window easily visible even once set.

But the 1st setting, do you see the metal which would be underneath the center stone? So instead of seeing right through, the metal would serve to sort of "close up" the window.

Hope this helps!

teklit

Rough_Rock
That does help, thank you.

I ran across this setting on brilliantearth, I love the organic flow of the prongs, no circle ring basket part, claw prongs are awesome, and I also love split shanks.

I'd have to get this made because BE doesn't sell their mounts.
I wonder if a designer could cross those prongs underneath the stone and still retain that natural branchy look and split shank?

_34965.jpg

_34966.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is such a teeny tiny tilt window that I would not be concerned. It looks fabulous in a white metal too!

S

SparkliesLuver

teklit said:
I don't think there is any extinction, it definitely looks really dark outside. There is a small window.
It ranges from pink to peachy brown in different lighting.
2.1ct, 6.7mm x 8.4mm and 4.57mm depth. heated. No lab report (I know I took a risk and do plan on sending it to AGL to make sure I didn't get ripped off. However, I'm wondering if I should get the window cut out, as long as it doesn't change the spread, and then get the report done. What do y'all think? Is there enough depth to tweak it?)]

With respect to your re-cut question, in my (limited) experience, you need at least 6mm in depth. I'd advise against it in your case. ETA: Like marymm pointed out, I think you'd be better off trying to close it with the setting.

teklit

Rough_Rock
Thanks for sharing your opinions about re-cut, I appreciate it.
I believe I will forgo that option.

On to AGL, and of course my printer died a couple days ago. It stopped printing in the middle of a project and then the smell of fried electronics filled the air.

After that, find a designer. Is it okay to contact a designer with inspiration photos and ask them to come up with something? Or do they expect you to have a concrete idea? Any designer recommendations?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
teklit|1445450439|3940703 said:
Thanks for sharing your opinions about re-cut, I appreciate it.
I believe I will forgo that option.

On to AGL, and of course my printer died a couple days ago. It stopped printing in the middle of a project and then the smell of fried electronics filled the air.

After that, find a designer. Is it okay to contact a designer with inspiration photos and ask them to come up with something? Or do they expect you to have a concrete idea? Any designer recommendations
?

This really depends on your bench. Some benches need explicitly directions, others prefer to have their own artistic ability

teklit

Rough_Rock
Niel|1445453826|3940742 said:
This really depends on your bench. Some benches need explicitly directions, others prefer to have their own artistic ability

Ok, that's promising information!
Got any recommendations for designers who prefer to have artistic freedom?
I'd love to get something like the pictures of the BE setting above that also masks the window.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
teklit|1445454825|3940758 said:
Niel|1445453826|3940742 said:

Ok, that's promising information!
Got any recommendations for designers who prefer to have artistic freedom?
I'd love to get something like the pictures of the BE setting above that also masks the window.

Howuch did you want to pay for the setting?

teklit

Rough_Rock
2k in plat, but I may still go with RG... I like the skin matching colors!

I'll have time to think about metal choice though.

Maybe even unplated white gold, if that's a choice. Don't have any unplated white pieces, I'd be interested in trying it out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results