shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink sapphire or ruby?

KLC

Shiny_Rock
What exactly is the cutoff between a pink sapphire and a ruby? This gorgeous little stone is listed on James Allen as pink sapphire but to my eye it appears deep red. My mind is screaming RUBY! I hope someone here buys it. I'd love to see what the color looks like set.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I would very much like to know what's wrong with this stone for it to be called pink sapphire and priced as such. Will it be too dark when set? Is it priced too high for what it's worth? Is it considered an undesirable colour? 'Cause I'm looking at it and all I can think is "want".

Reactions: KLC

KLC

Shiny_Rock
I would very much like to know what's wrong with this stone for it to be called pink sapphire and priced as such. Will it be too dark when set? Is it priced too high for what it's worth? Is it considered an undesirable colour? 'Cause I'm looking at it and all I can think is "want".

I want it too. But I am saving up to have my moissanite reset and I'm sure someone will snatch this little beauty up before I could.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What exactly is the cutoff between a pink sapphire and a ruby? This gorgeous little stone is listed on James Allen as pink sapphire but to my eye it appears deep red. My mind is screaming RUBY! I hope someone here buys it. I'd love to see what the color looks like set.

Price is highly suspect, even for pink sapphire material. I suspect it’s lead glass filled or synthetic for that price. Is there a reputable lab report for it?

KLC

Shiny_Rock
Price is highly suspect, even for pink sapphire material. I suspect it’s lead glass filled or synthetic for that price. Is there a reputable lab report for it?

As far as I know there isn't. But I thought James Allen was reputable?

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock

Doesn't seem like it. Only an in house certificate claiming it's heated.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't seem like it. Only an in house certificate claiming it's heated.

Heating can also mean lead glass filled. The lack of visible inclusions is disconcerting as well. It’s exceedingly rare for a ruby to be that crystal clear.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
They also just bumped up the price by 17 euro. No idea if JamesAllen is considered a reputable dealer. In any case, if it's too good to be true, it's probably not that good.

KLC

Shiny_Rock
Could be much browner and darker irl too.

Thank you. I agree there has to be some reason it's so cheap.

Reactions: T L

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
This is why I'm afraid to buy stones online. In the video it looks like a beautiful deep red.

It does! Under heavy, focused, white spot-lighting. Tricky!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have several settings from JA. I would never buy a center colored stone from them because their stones look awful in the photos! They could be great stones, but they look like colored clods to me. Others have purchased CS from them with success, so who knows?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it tells you how accurate that video is. Or it's the wrong description or video.

It may be a lot of things but it does not appear pink in that video.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
James Allen is just weird when it comes to their coloured gems and prices. Some of the gems look so ugly I think they’d struggle to sell on eBay and their pricing?
There’s a 1.04 carat deep blue sapphire (heated) for $19,000 AUD what! And then a 3.62 of the same colour for $16,000 AUD?
The difference between ruby and sapphire can be subjective. Traditionally in Asian countries pink sapphires “were” rubies, they didn’t differentiate. Aparrently it was Western influence that “split” the tones and hues and if you’re a seller you want to call it a ruby whereas buyers want a sapphire = cheaper.
With James Allen you wouldn’t know, without an appropriate lab report, if they were just “Heat” or instead “Heat with residue” and/or “Heat with beryllium diffusion.
You can’t judge from a photo and I suspect the people who buy their coloured gems aren’t nearly as knowledgeable or savvy as us here on Pricescope.
Unfortunate.
I sincerely doubt that there are bargains to be had with them and I do recall ?? a poster complaining, understandably, that a diamond they had bought and paid for was “incorrectly listed” so the buyer had the choice of either paying more ie correct price or getting a refund. Shady.

KLC

Shiny_Rock
James Allen is just weird when it comes to their coloured gems and prices. Some of the gems look so ugly I think they’d struggle to sell on eBay and their pricing?
There’s a 1.04 carat deep blue sapphire (heated) for $19,000 AUD what! And then a 3.62 of the same colour for $16,000 AUD?
The difference between ruby and sapphire can be subjective. Traditionally in Asian countries pink sapphires “were” rubies, they didn’t differentiate. Aparrently it was Western influence that “split” the tones and hues and if you’re a seller you want to call it a ruby whereas buyers want a sapphire = cheaper.
With James Allen you wouldn’t know, without an appropriate lab report, if they were just “Heat” or instead “Heat with residue” and/or “Heat with beryllium diffusion.
You can’t judge from a photo and I suspect the people who buy their coloured gems aren’t nearly as knowledgeable or savvy as us here on Pricescope.
Unfortunate.
I sincerely doubt that there are bargains to be had with them and I do recall ?? a poster complaining, understandably, that a diamond they had bought and paid for was “incorrectly listed” so the buyer had the choice of either paying more ie correct price or getting a refund. Shady.
We bought the sapphire for my engagement ring through them. And while it is a nice, royal blue little stone, it's not the cornflower blue color I thought I was buying. It gave me trust issues and I haven't purchased a stone online since, with the exception of my moissanite.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results