shape
carat
color
clarity

pink sapphire/blue spinel gemstone

tomhorn

Rough_Rock
if this is indeed what i think it is, how common is it? like if all the known worlds unheated sapphire/spinels were 2,000 in population and this was one of them? ( its presently in the mail, but will be here by tuesday. )

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure what you're asking?
Spinels are very rare comparatively. They are found together often.
Magnesium is what differentiates them from sapphire.

tomhorn

Rough_Rock
been trying to upload. will try again 95AE4979-F852-491F-8B4F-3BFBC30032AF.png

Attachments

• E0242A6B-0CC7-4B05-95C9-CAD4852FBDA4.png
    E0242A6B-0CC7-4B05-95C9-CAD4852FBDA4.png
    654.3 KB · Views: 18

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see a purple gem that looks like an amethyst, although it could be a sapphire

tomhorn

Rough_Rock
thankyou. now that being a sapphire, how common are spinels that are imbedded into sapphire?

tomhorn

Rough_Rock
yes. to rephrase my question. thats a sapphire. on the edges are bits of spinel. is this a common occurance, and if its not, what are the population numbers relating to this happening?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes. to rephrase my question. thats a sapphire. on the edges are bits of spinel. is this a common occurance, and if its not, what are the population numbers relating to this happening?

Can you draw on the photo you have provides where you feel the bits of spinel are located on the sapphire? I’m not seeing it. Circle them?

I don’t think mineral inclusions in sapphire are uncommon - but don’t know specifics or stats.

@Frost
@Lexililac
Maybe they know?

Last edited:

tomhorn

Rough_Rock
no. i can not draw on the photo. the gem will be here this coming tuesday. the zoning between sapphire and spinel i felt was obvious. if its not obvious to you, then dont worry about it. it is what it is. question remains. how many of these did they cut this way? 1? 2? 3? a dozen? 200? that was my only question. once this hits a gammaraymassspectrometer, the ingrediants will either confirm or deny its exsistance

tomhorn

Rough_Rock
What you're seeing is color zoning. I don't think this is a spinel inside a sapphire

yes. i too am vey familiar with colour zoning. but when your lattice is turned the other way, its two minerals

tomhorn

Rough_Rock
I don't see how those pics show you anything about lattice or multiple minerals

thats not my question. thats YOUR question. my question was, IF its what it is, spinel embedded into sapphire, whats the population of this puppy?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thats not my question. thats YOUR question. my question was, IF its what it is, spinel embedded into sapphire, whats the population of this puppy?

I know tje company you purchased from and they do all of this testing. So I think you are convincing yourself you got something rare when you didn't.

tomhorn

Rough_Rock
I know tje company you purchased from and they do all of this testing. So I think you are convincing yourself you got something rare when you didn't.

the company i bought this from will say a particular gem came from nigeria AND wyoming, so..........no. theyve got their problems. ( you think they test every stone? like bugs bunny said, " HARDY HAR HAR " )

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock

I don’t think one can answer that question with any realistic degree of credibility. Spinel inclusions in a sapphire are possible I suppose, but a “merged” lattice sounds unlikely. The gem you posted seems to clean for that, I would expect some “mess” at the point in which sapphire turns into spinel by the presence of magnesium in the lattice. It looks too clean to me, but I am no gemologist so take my words with a grain (or two) of salt

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
No, but you can have microscopic spinel inclusions in sapphire.
I've never heard of a melded spinel/sapphire.
What you have is called color zoning, very common and what the trade calls Parti sapphire if they're pleasant looking.

The question you should be asking is if the stone is natural at all.

tomhorn

Rough_Rock
I don’t think one can answer that question with any realistic degree of credibility. Spinel inclusions in a sapphire are possible I suppose, but a “merged” lattice sounds unlikely. The gem you posted seems to clean for that, I would expect some “mess” at the point in which sapphire turns into spinel by the presence of magnesium in the lattice. It looks too clean to me, but I am no gemologist so take my words with a grain (or two) of salt

thankyou. yes, that was my concern too. way too clean. my other concern was this particular stone would enhance the theory that spinel can be pierced by sapphire.

tomhorn

Rough_Rock
No, but you can have microscopic spinel inclusions in sapphire.
I've never heard of a melded spinel/sapphire.
What you have is called color zoning, very common and what the trade calls Parti sapphire if they're pleasant looking.

The question you should be asking is if the stone is natural at all.

yes. i have a kashmir like that. but its marble and kashmir inside kashmir. or gold inside tourmaline. or platinum and uranium inside diamond. and no, i donts question the nuturalness of the stone. i did not purchase it from india of thailand. i purchased it from someone who purchased it from ceylon

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can I ask what clues (other than the color from the pic) guide you to the conclusion it is coexisting sapphire and spinel that’s zoned like this is?
The vendors listing itself?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you draw on the photo you have provides where you feel the bits of spinel are located on the sapphire? I’m not seeing it. Circle them?

I don’t think mineral inclusions in sapphire are uncommon - but don’t know specifics or stats.

@Frost
@Lexililac
Maybe they know?

@Nick_G

tomhorn

Rough_Rock
Can I ask what clues (other than the color from the pic) guide you to the conclusion it is coexisting sapphire and spinel that’s zoned like this is?
The vendors listing itself?

yeah. one can see the lattice that got interrupted as it trancended the pavilion

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
yes. i have a kashmir like that. but its marble and kashmir inside kashmir. or gold inside tourmaline. or platinum and uranium inside diamond. and no, i donts question the nuturalness of the stone. i did not purchase it from india of thailand. i purchased it from someone who purchased it from ceylon

You also said the company/dealer has stated stones coming from two different places on the planet and they don't test every stone. You should question it, and due diligence is the smartest move.
There are no chimera stones that I'm aware of.
It would be classed as a bicolor or parti sapphire whether natural or synthetic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results